#1 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

The question is simple,

Should Kevin Smith helm a Comic Book Film?

If so which ?

#2 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep. He could probably have done Superman justice.

#3 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Smith is a massive alpha nerd who loves superheros, and thats probably why I don't want him directing one. It'd be like one of us doing it; are most of us really qualified?

And didn't he make Batman pee himself?

#4 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

Kevin Smith is a massive alpha nerd who loves superheros, and thats probably why I don't want him directing one. It'd be like one of us doing it; are most of us really qualified?

He did however he explained he based it upon a fire fighter friend who said that during intense heat there is a reaction in the body that makes one urinate without choice.

#5 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I think KS is overrated and most of his talent lies in self-promotion.

#6 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@briangsharon said:

@KnightRise said:

He did however he explained he based it upon a fire fighter friend who said that during intense heat there is a reaction in the body that makes one urinate without choice.

Batman trained in an asharimin Bangladesh to prevent involuntary bowel and/or bladder movements. He's mastered 127 different ways of preventing bed-wetting, and has psycological backup personalities to pee for him. :P

#7 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

@Braingsharon Batman trained in an asharimin Bangladesh to prevent involuntary bowel and/or bladder movements. He's mastered 127 different ways of preventing bed-wetting, and has psycological backup personalities to pee for him. :P Classic!

#8 Posted by stumpy49er (611 posts) - - Show Bio

No. He is NOT a good director. Don't get me wrong, there was a time when I loved the man, his early films were good just from a dialogue point, but most of his films of the past decade have been crap. And his comics have been very mediocre as well, imo.

#9 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

So red state is crap? Red state is probably he's best written and most mature film

#10 Posted by stumpy49er (611 posts) - - Show Bio

I said Most of his films of the last decade. I liked Red State, didn't love it.

#11 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd want him to do a Green Arrow movie.

#12 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

If he gets a movie that deals with teenagers and their angst, then sure.

Except for X23. Leave her alone.

#13 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

Lets put it this way, the man seems uninspired and his latest movie was a *step* in the right direction. He has a history of witty dialogue, and is good at juggling multiple characters.

If he could apply the maturity and direction that he put into Red State , combined with the passion he has for the genre, perhaps he could rekindle the magic.

I will also say, there has not been (to my knowledge) a director who has made a big super hero flick other than John Favreau.

#14 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Perhaps teen titans?

#15 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@briangsharon said:

@lykopis said:

Perhaps teen titans?

I think he could do a good job with them -- he has a healthy respect for the characters so I don't think he would cater to some Hollywood production company's idea of what a teenager is (as in the OC -- Gossip Girl, etc. **shudder**)

#16 Posted by serpent222 (319 posts) - - Show Bio

I could be mistaking, but I think I recall reading an interview with him and the idea of him directing a superhero movie came up that I just considered really off-putting. I got the impression that if he were to direct one, he would be absurdly loyal to the source material and would be impossible to budge on changes that would make it more practical. Really, I don't think that he should be directing one.

But if he did, I'd go see it.