Should it have been someone else? (SPOILERS for AoU!)

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#1  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

So my question is a pretty simply one, should Hawkeye have been the one who died at the end of Age of Ultron? I bring this up because having seen the movie and after a few days to really think about it, I feel that Marvel really missed an opportunity to give us a real, impactful death in the movie by saving Hawkeye and instead letting Quicksilver die.

In my opinion, Hawkeye’s death would have had much more impact on the ending of the film and made Ultron feel like much more of a threat. I say this because out of all of the characters, Hawkeye had the most to lose. From the very beginning of the film we’re reminded that while we’re watching super-soldiers, men in armored suits, and demi-gods flying across the screen, we also have this mortal man who is fighting alongside them, all with just a simple bow and some tricked-out arrows. This is made very clear as we see Hawkeye get injured in the opening battle out of all of the other Avengers.

But mid-way through the film, we’re reminded that not only is Clint human but he also has a family, meaning that every time he goes out to fight some bad guys, he’s risking the possibility of his wife losing a husband and his kids growing up without a father. This idea just shows how much Clint has to lose every time he picks up his bow and heads into battle, it makes him more than just a guy who shoots arrows, but a man fighting to make the world a safer place for his family, even if it means giving them that world at the expense of him not being able to enjoy it with them.

With that said, this is why I feel Hawkeye should have been the one to have died in the movie’s climax, as we learn that Hawkeye is much more than just a man, but he’s also a husband and a father; someone who is willing to lay down his life for those he loves. I mean just imagine the ending if instead of Clint’s wife turning around to see her husband, it was Captain America holding Hawkeye’s bow. Or at the Avengers’ new headquarters we see a statue dedicated to Earth’s Mightiest Hero, reminding the entire team of who they’re “avenging” every time they suit up and go into battle.

Now sure, Quicksilver’s death was heroic and took a character who was pretty stuck-up at times and showed that deep down he had what it took to be a true Avenger. But even so, Pietro was still a character we had only just met, whose death felt premature and didn’t leave that big of an impact on either the Avengers themselves or the audience in general. Hawkeye’s on the other hand, personally I feel would have had just the opposite effect and is an opportunity I feel Marvel missed.

I’m curious though as to what you guys think: Did you like how the movie ended? Do you feel similar to how I do and wish it had been Hawkeye instead of Quicksilver who died? Or are you happy with Quicksilver’s heroic sacrifice?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

it make sense would have been more unexpected, if widow died too than quicksilver.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes. Don't care. Doesn't matter.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That would really be lame. He didn't get any shine in the first movie.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The swerve was great and I love Hawkguy.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By judasnixon

@jaken7 said:

No Caption Provided

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did they brush off Quicksilver's death? That's what upset me. If Hawkeye died he would've gotten a lot more respect and notice.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Nah, if I expected Hawkeye to die even before seeing the movie, then after seeing the set up and putting so much emphasis on what he has to live for I thought it was guaranteed. The Quicksilver was a far better twist, even if I wish he hadn't had to die.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@jaken7 said:

By swerve you mean that thing you could see coming a mile away? :p

Poor_Censored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Poor_Censored

Honestly, I don't like Hawkeye - and I wouldn't be super upset if he disappeared from the franchise. (He's a guy with a bow...)

That said, Quicksilver is the right pick, for at least five reasons.

First, Hawkeye gets some serious character development in the movie. The movie takes time to establish him up as a glue that keeps the group together, and takes time to humanize him. Destroying the 'glue' Joss spent time establishing at the end of the movie would work against the general flow of the movie.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, Quicksilver's death provides fuel for the Scarlet Witch's character arc. Female characters in Marvel movies don't get a whole lot of attention, in part because there are less of them, and in part because they aren't quite as popular or powerful. When Quicksilver dies, it has an immediate impact on the Scarlet Witch - and will likely continue to have an emotional impact going forward. I'll take female character development where I can get it.

Third, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch started off as villains - and, in morality tales, villains have to pay penance to be redeemed. Quicksilver's penance is the loss of his life. Scarlet Witch's penance is the loss of her brother.

Fourth, the movie is targeted at a family audience. Mark Ruffalo, aka Bruce Banner/the Hulk, saw it with his (young) kids and wife. The movie establishes Hawkeye as a loving husband and father. Quicksilver is orphan whose only other family is in combat with him, and isn't exactly an innocent. Killing Hawkeye - super-dad - for protecting a child could be more upsetting then killing the ex-bad guy sacrificing himself to protect aforementioned father and a child.

Fifth, Quicksilver's last line wouldn't work if Hawkeye had to say it instead. The scene was reasonably set up for the possibility of Hawkeye's death. (He's very altruistic, and he's one of the squishiest Avengers in the middle of a war zone.) Quicksilver is a speedster. The idea of a speedster who can dodge bullets dying from bullets is kinda surprising. Also, it is a bit unexpected that Quicksilver would get killed off - given his status in the comics. (And, honestly, Quicksilver's last line did make me laugh.)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JakeN7

@dernman: No, the swerve where they clearly set up Hawkeye to die the entire film, seemingly playing off of movie tropes involving the hero saying goodbye to his family and promising to return, and then Hawkeye just nearly evacuating before he spots a kid who he decides to go save, and the camera gets up in his face and the shot drags out and the music gets all dramatic and Hawkeye grabs the kid and can't do anything when Ultra swoops in firing at him. But then, out of nowhere, Quicksilver puts himself in the line of fire at the last second, sacrificing himself for the guy he had the most antagonistic relationship with in the film.

That swerve.

No, but sure. Totally saw it coming a mile away. *eye roll*

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dernman

@jaken7: Not once did I think Hawkeye was going to die and I saw that scene where QS sacrificing himself for Hawkeye like it was paint by numbers. I think you read want you wanted to into the Hawkeye trope. Eye roll my seeing it coming from a mile away all you want but only one of us was right in what they saw coming.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@jaken7: Not once did I think Hawkeye was going to die and I saw that scene where QS sacrificing himself for Hawkeye like it was paint by numbers.

@dernman said:

@jaken7: I think you read want you wanted to into the Hawkeye trope.

...Hawkeye is my favorite Avenger. The expectation wasn't formed because of a desire for that to happen.

@dernman said:

@jaken7: Eye roll my seeing it coming from a mile away all you want but only one of us was right in what they saw coming.

Hmm. Interesting. Exactly how did you see it coming, if I may ask? What, in the movie, indicated that Quicksilver was going to die. How did you come to make that prediction?

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By legacy6364

Hater!

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

C'mon @war_killer the title of this thread is a spoiler itself.

Anyone that comes along this thread title before watching the film will be spoiled.

It doesn't take a brainer to find out what you're talking about.

- TAS

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dernman

@jaken7:

• How does me not seeing Hawkeye dying make that we got a bad @ss over here meme apply to me? I was just stating what I didn't see.
  • I wasn't suggesting that it was. I was merely saying that I thought you read more into it then there was.
  • Little things that on their own mean nothing but together gave me a feeling. The end battle was when it changed from a vague feeling to almost deja vu choreography. The easiest one to remember was his relationship with Hawkeye was very tropic. New antagonistic guy doesn't get along with the established character and shows his superiority. Circumstances throw them together and see their not so bad. Said guy gets hurt defending the guy he was previously looking down on. Trope on it's own isn't enough for me to call something. It's just the way it played out seemed so obvious to me which is why I;m under the impression it was that way for everyone else and shocked that you called it a swerve.
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@jaken7:

• How does me not seeing Hawkeye dying make that we got a bad @ss over here meme apply to me? I was just stating what I didn't see.
No Caption Provided
@dernman said:

@jaken7:

• I wasn't suggesting that it was. I was merely saying that I thought you read more into it then there was.

Except you used the word 'wanted'.

@dernman said:

@jaken7:

• Little things that on their own mean nothing but together gave me a feeling. The end battle was when it changed from a vague feeling to almost deja vu choreography. The easiest one to remember was his relationship with Hawkeye was very tropic. New antagonistic guy doesn't get along with the established character and shows his superiority. Circumstances throw them together and see their not so bad. Said guy gets hurt defending the guy he was previously looking down on. Trope on it's own isn't enough for me to call something. It's just the way it played out seemed so obvious to me which is why I;m under the impression it was that way for everyone else and shocked that you called it a swerve.

I guess you're just too smart for us all, bud.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except you used the word 'wanted'.

yes but the wanted wasn't referring to you wanting him to die

I guess you're just too smart for us all, bud.

You said it not me. :p

Personally though I still hold the belief that most people saw it happening,

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

YOU SPOILED THE MOVIE NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By AwesomePerson

No because they spent the film establishing his family so it wouldn't be great if they killed him Off...

Quicksilver was, no offence, not really developed in the film so when he died... I was upset but not as upset as I would have been if it was Clint...

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluejay4 said:

Why did they brush off Quicksilver's death? That's what upset me. If Hawkeye died he would've gotten a lot more respect and notice.

Brush off? Clint named his son after him.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually starting to like Pietro, he just felt cool, but the way he died made no sense, I mean he can put a car in front of them but can't just run them to safety? I know there is no hope comparing the flash to quicksilver but flash would have taken hawkeye and that kid halfway around the world before the first bullet hit, then again it's a movie that needed umph to the end(btw I'm not talking about CW flash although it might be possible)

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quicksilver was, no offence, not really developed in the film so when he died... I was upset but not as upset as I would have been if it was Clint...

That's my point, Quicksilver's death didn't really have that much of an emotional impact on the audience, because he was so underdeveloped. Hawkeye on the other hand had been built up to be a guy who had everything to lose, so if he had died it would have been more impactful.

@bluejay4 said:

Brush off? Clint named his son after him.

To be honest, watching the movie this past Saturday night, I didn't even realize he had named his son after Pietro until I saw someone mentioned it online. A lot happened in the ending, so it was easy to overlook something like that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually starting to like Pietro, he just felt cool, but the way he died made no sense, I mean he can put a car in front of them but can't just run them to safety? I know there is no hope comparing the flash to quicksilver but flash would have taken hawkeye and that kid halfway around the world before the first bullet hit, then again it's a movie that needed umph to the end(btw I'm not talking about CW flash although it might be possible)

I thought the same thing. Throughout the movie we saw him moving people of various sizes with pretty good ease, so why he couldn't have moved both Hawkeye and the boy to safety along with himself is a bit odd.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Just saw the movie again (half price Tuesdays w00t), the people in the audience loved Hawkeye this time around - it would've totally ruined their evenings if he'd died. They made the right call for the masses (the people who pay for these movies).

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should have been Black Widow who died.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By EyeDCyou

Yeah would've made a bigger emotional impact. Especially since we learned more about Hawkeyes personal life.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@bluejay4: Well Hawkeye gave his son Pietro as a middle name

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that would be horrible. I like Hawkeye.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody should have died

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, and then he should have been brought back using their medical tech. I don't think they developed Pietro or Clint all that well, and I just thought that this was a problematic way to end the story from an overall perspective, because his wife's' concerns were very justified.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hawkeye dying would have been way too predictable. It should have been Thor dying and the end credits scene could have been Thor waking up in Asgaurding afterlife with Helena staring at him.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they should't have brought back shield and just killed iron man.

Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand why QS went down the way it did. (Now we don't have two QS characters in two universes to compare further, it progresses Wanda further because they were so close, and it completes his full circle redemption story) with that said. I really wish it would have been barton, because I think it would set up perfectly for Wanda to go crazy in a future film, and resurrect Hawkeye to become Ronin. I would LOVE an on screen Clint Barton Ronin.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers