Should I read Ultimate X-Men?

Swirleyswurls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Here's some subtext for you guys. I guess I would say I'm fairly new to comics. I mean I actually started reading comics when I was about 7-8ish but never really got into it until late last year. (I'm 15 now.) Don't get me wrong, I've read a bunch of comics, many of the more known comics like Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, (I'm a casual batman fan.) Killing Joke, Under The Red Hood, some of the really old comics specifically #1-200 something of Batman and many more batman titles. I got really into Spider-Man when I was younger, (I used to watch the trilogy again and again) but never really got to read any of his modern comics, I had the first 7 volumes of Marvel masterworks Amazing Spider-Man but that was it for my Spider-Man knowledge. Until recently when I got to read Ultimate Spider-Man which I love (I'm not yet finished with it.) which (finally, im sorry) brings me to my question, should I read Ultimate X-Men? Is it worth a read? The main problem I have with X-Men is (no disrespect to any one) that I find them boring. I'm in issue #117 of Ultimate and the recent issues I have been reading have a lot and I mean a lot to do with the X-Men. And honestly I don't give two craps about any of them, well except for (SPOILER IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING WITH ULTIMATE)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kitty cuz I feel she plays a major role in Peter's life. I honestly feel that they have no need to mess with Peter's life. Every arc with the X-Men in Ultimate Spider-Man, I want to skip. (but I don't cuz it might be reffered to in later issues... ;( ) I've read like the first arc of Ultimate X-Men, but the art is a huge turn off. They look so ugly, especially Wolverine. (not like ugly, handsome, ugly, I mean ugly art ugly) I mean unlike Spider-Man which started with solid art and then improvements later on and then Imounen........ ;(. ( I'm fine with the action, I just don't like the human faces.) And I found the writing of X-Men meh. I mean is it supposed to be meh? I really didn't feel like continuing. I feel almost obligated to read X-Men just because I feel they are going to hugely affect Spider-Man. (*sigh) But please tell me, Does Ultimate X-Men get better? If it does, when? And please share your thoughts. (Sorry for rambling.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, Ultimate X-Men is terrible -- Mark Millar is a hack.

SMGameHHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimate X-Men is meh. Its not like bad I guess but I didn't really enjoy reading it much.

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Millar and Julian's Ultimate X-men I found quite enjoyable.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rpgesus

No

Swirleyswurls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Swirleyswurls

So, I guess its a no for most of you. Does X-Men heavily impact Spider-Men though? And do you think the Ultimate X-Men is a good modern translation of the main universe X-Men? Cuz I might start reading Earth 616 X-Men, I just dont want to give up on X-Men I'd say just because of Ultimate X-Men. And any ideas where I should start? (Btw I can't stand classic art like 90s art, just my opinion.) Preferably somewhere near Civil War. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swirleyswurls

Does X-Men heavily impact Spider-Men though?

No, you don't need to read one to understand the other.

And do you think the Ultimate X-Men is a good modern translation of the main universe X-Men?

No, if you want to read X-Men, then you should read the 616 comics. Here are some good modern starting points:

New X-Men - Grant Morrison

Astonishing X-Men - Joss Whedon(recommended)

Uncanny X-Force - Rick Remender

Swirleyswurls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I guess I'm gonna have to try New X-Men first then start from there, wish me luck I guess. :)