#1 Posted by Z3RO180 (6623 posts) - - Show Bio

So far I just buy the comics I like and that's a lot so should I make an official pull list to borrow down how much I spend ?

#2 Posted by Cap10nate (2458 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: A pull list will definitely allow you to budget better. It's like going to a grocery store with a shopping list instead of meandering down the aisles grabbing whatever looks good at the moment. Once you have your core titles down in a pull list, you can judge how much you can deviate with other purchases.

#3 Posted by TheDarkSalmon (38 posts) - - Show Bio

oh it helps until it runs wild then the cuts begin then you decide whats worth issues and whats for trade waiting then if you order books whats worth buying and waiting every month on list and whats worth picking up in shop on wed

#rant

#4 Posted by markslurpee (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I recently started a pull list, so I can definitely tell you, that, yes, it's worth the time. It allows you to budget, as someone previously mentioned, it keeps your comics in order for you, so you don't miss an issue, and some places give you discounts for using one. (My comic store gives me a 20% discount for EVERYTHING now that I'm a subscriber.)

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6429 posts) - - Show Bio

What is a pull list? I hear the term quite a lot but I'm not sure what it is.

#6 Posted by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Traditionally, it's a list you set up at a comic book store and they'll pull those comics for you when they come in and hold them on the side for you. That way, you won't miss an issue of a series you enjoy.

The upside to a pull list is that you won't miss an issue and many stores will offer you a discount if you set one up.

The downside is that at some stores, removing a title from your pull list can be an annoying process.

The term pull list is also now used to describe a list of titles that you buy regularly, whether or not you have an actual pull list set up at a store. I keep my pull list in a text file on my computer, and here on CV as well, but I don't keep an actual pull list on file at any store anymore.

#7 Posted by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

If you do make one be sure to check the new titles regularly or you could miss something and regret it.

#8 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6429 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly: Ah right. Sounds like a decent idea. Thanks.

I don't know if shops in the U.K. do that sort of thing. Wouldn't be much use to me anyway, as I don't have a set place I go. I tend to switch between local places and Ebay shops depending on whether I have money to get their or not. A train journey can be a bit pricey when you're just going for a few comics.

#9 Posted by PDBL77 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of online comic book retailers offer pull list mail order subscriptions. Try Midtown Comics and Mile High Comics. I have a pull list through one of my local shops, TFAW, and I love it. Dont know if they do mail order pull lists though.

#10 Posted by PDBL77 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Pick up Previews Catalog. It comes out monthly and shows everything that is coming out 3 months down the road, so you don't miss anything and you can add all that stuff to your already overwhelming pull list.

#11 Posted by Drummer007 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

My local comic shop require a 10 comic a month pull list to get a box. They may have some rules like that but best to just talk to them. It will keep you from running down to the store early on Wednesday so they don't sell out of the popular ones. (my comic shop recently ran our of Avengers #2 by 10:30 am because they didn't ship them their full order and i waited a month for the 2nd printing)

#12 Edited by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Of the UK chains I'm aware of, Forbidden Planet, Forbidden Planet International (different company) and Traveling Man all do pull-lists. If you ask, most stores over here understand the term "pull list", but in older, smaller shops it's often still referred to as a "Standing Order".

They're good if you buy based on a title, or are loyal to a title, not so great obviously if you jump in and out of stories. Often stores will provide discounts, or other privileges like first call on any variant covers or variants for cover price. A friend of mine has one, since he only heads into town once a month; means for a hefty bill each time, but reduced trips etc so he saves in the long run. If you live a long way from a store, and have patience to wait for current books, this might actually be the best set-up for you :)

#13 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6429 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manbehindthewires: I'll keep it in mind for if if my circumstances change slightly. If I had a bit more money, or was working in a city/town with a comic book shop, I can see the advantage. I tend to stick with a title, but occasionally get an issue here and there if there's a character I like in it. There is a Forbidden Planet near-ish to me, but It's £7 or £8 for the train, which is money I could be spending on comic books from an Ebay shop.

Now that I think about it, I think one of the independent shops I go to does pull lists/standing orders. Well that might be an option if I decide to do such a thing.

#14 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I don't know if shops in the U.K. do that sort of thing. Wouldn't be much use to me anyway, as I don't have a set place I go. I tend to switch between local places and Ebay shops depending on whether I have money to get their or not. A train journey can be a bit pricey when you're just going for a few comics.

I get my pull-list from Page45.com, it's the website for an independent comic book store situated in Nottingham, but they ship to anywhere in the UK (they're currently shipping out to Wales for me). Plus, they have excellent customer service. :)

#15 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6429 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedQueen said:

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

I get my pull-list from Page45.com, it's the website for an independent comic book store situated in Nottingham, but they ship to anywhere in the UK (they're currently shipping out to Wales for me). Plus, they have excellent customer service. :)

I might consider that. Thanks. :)

#16 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

Just wanted to add a great UK online store for subscriptions, http://www.reedcomics.com.I mainly buy back issues from them but they're reasonably priced and have amazing customer service.

To the OP, I'd definitely recommend setting up a pull list for all the reasons others have stated, namely budget reasons. Before I had a pull list I would end up spending silly amounts and jumping back and forth between titles, whereas now I have a set list I can budget for that, then see what's left over for anything else I'd like to pick up like back issues, trades etc.

#17 Posted by Catsnlynne (1039 posts) - - Show Bio

I make a list of the comic books I want and the issue numbers and take it with me so I don't forget anything. I also have a list of issues I have bought so if I'm going to get any back issues, I know which ones I need.

#18 Posted by jstndmnd (1016 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a finite budget, so I do have a pull list. I only get 4 comics--one for ever week. I can't let my hobby of reading comics to become a budget issue. It is for fun only. I look forward every week to a new comic.(just one). It has become a small reward for a hard week at work. Yes, I might miss a new comic that is awesome, but that is why I read this site. I see if there is any thing that might be better than what I am reading. (granted I do seem to not enjoy what most people do.) This does help when there is a crossover, because I can afford to get those others for a short time.

Earth 2, Superboy, Vibe, Aquaman are all that is on my pull list.