#1 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Which is better?

#2 Posted by The Stegman (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like either...but Pacific Rim was leagues better imo.

#3 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio

The Wolverine. It was a great CBM which had a change of pace most CBMs today with less CGI and explosions, more grounded realistic fights, a great story, and ideal and heartfelt character development of the titular character. Oh, and the representation of Japanese was awesome. Overall, it is the best Wolverine movie we've gotten, and the best X film only behind X2.

#4 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7979 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw Pacific Rim today. I had high hopes, and it far surpassed them. Definitely a lot more than just a robots beat up monsters movie. Hell, my wife loved it. Probably more than I did. And she hates, HATES giant monster movies. We both highly recommend it.

#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

If you have an IMAX near you, go see Pacific Rim in IMAX. Its very good visually. The story, script, and overall cast is pretty weak though.

Wolverine on the other hand - DO NOT - waste money seeing it in 3D. There's no 3D in the film and very little great action overall. Hugh Jackman however turns in one of his best (if not the) best performances of Logan and its a very character driven story.

Saw both films. Thought both were nothing special, but solid and worth the money.

#6 Posted by AssertingValor (5393 posts) - - Show Bio

PR

#7 Posted by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim..Don't let what people are saying about The Wolverine,especially from guys with Wolverine in their username, fool you. IMO it was pretty boring and the action scenes were few...There's nothing wrong with a good story and script but filling a film with like 80% dialogue can become quite the bore

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim..Don't let what people are saying about The Wolverine,especially from guys with Wolverine in their username, fool you. IMO it was pretty boring and the action scenes were few...There's nothing wrong with a good story and script but filling a film with like 80% dialogue can become quite the bore

Lol, you aimed that jab about "from guys with Wolverine in their username fool you" at me didn't you?

#9 Posted by TheBournePoster (1095 posts) - - Show Bio

See Pacific Rim!

#10 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474 said:

Lol, you aimed that jab about "from guys with Wolverine in their username fool you" at me didn't you?

Anyone with Wolverine in their name actually.

#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@gambit474 said:

Anyone with Wolverine in their name actually.

Ok.

#12 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw PR 4 times. It is definitely better in my own opinion.

Saying that, The Wolverine is great as well, especially if you felt disappointed by some of the more recent Xmen films.

So no matter which one you choose, you'll have fun.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio

I do admit, if you're looking for some awesome actual and special effects, watch Pacific. The Wolverine somewhat sacrificed action for character development.

#14 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

But that is one extreme for the other. You didn't like Wolverine because it lacked action. But when something other than Robots or monsters are on the screen of Pacific Rim its a terrible film. The story is weak and unoriginal. The script is laughable and cliche. Most of the actors are bad.

I consider both films about even, personally. Neither film is without problems.

#15 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only seen The Wolverine it is a decent film to the very least. On average it is good but I don't think anyone would say it is monumental.

#16 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

@gambit474 said:

But that is one extreme for the other. You didn't like Wolverine because it lacked action. But when something other than Robots or monsters are on the screen of Pacific Rim its a terrible film. The story is weak and unoriginal. The script is laughable and cliche. Most of the actors are bad.

I consider both films about even, personally. Neither film is without problems.

No there's multiple reasons why I didn't like the Wolverine..that was just a big one...Even his comics feature more action then that. Besides PR is even ranked higher on movie review sites like IMDB. "But when something other than Robots or monsters are on the screen of Pacific Rim its a terrible film. The story is weak and unoriginal. The script is laughable and cliche. Most of the actors are bad." Hmm..That's ironic,because I don't recall that ever stopping Godzilla's films from entertaining people ;) It gets annoying when people try to call things unoriginal nowadays..NOTHING'S original anymore. Everything is a copy of something in some form or fashion

The only best part about the wolverine was it's end credit scene

#17 Posted by The Stegman (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

I love how most people who defend The Wolverine says "Oh it's good..well, it's better than X-Men Origins" That ain't sayin' much bub.

#18 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17872 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: I didn't say Pacific Rim wasn't entertaining. When Robots are fighting Monsters its always entertaining. But that doesn't mean I don't consider it a great film either.

But that doesn't mean every film requires mindless action to be entertaining either. Wolverine kept me entertained for the most part (just like PR did for the most part). I had issues with it, just as I did Pacific Rim.

Both are solid. Neither are great.

#19 Edited by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474 said:

We'll remember than when he recommends the Gambit movie. Oh wait! Gambit doesn't have a movie.

#20 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: Well James Mangold did say that they were trying to go a different route than most CBMs wanted more character and quote "not trying to outdo the latest alien invasion". You shouldn't have expected lots of action.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (42839 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewolverine04 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@gambit474 said:

We'll remember than when he recommends the Gambit movie. Oh wait! Gambit doesn't have a movie.

I like how my name has nothing to do with the x-men character Gambit yet you just made a poor attempt at an insult. I'd recommend you not comment again as to not embarrass Wolverine fans..then again with comments like this I can see why some people don't like Wolverine fans. I don't even care about Gambit..My favorite character is Ghost Rider and even I can admit they screwed him up filmwise.

Anyways it doesn't matter if Wolverine lacked "mindless action"..Viper felt like a pointless villain,they waited to the very end to show the Silver Samurai in action,they base it in Japan yet show very little of Wolverine actually engaging into their culture or w.e the way he does in the comics,and many other things I could list. I somewhat agree with this review of the film for ex

"

The Wolverine is OK at best, even with Hugh Jackman's usual superb acting. Most of the action is mediocre and offers no surprises (you can tell from the situation who is gonna die and who is gonna hit who several seconds before they do so) with the exception of a few really great scenes, but these scenes are scattered very far apart.

What really brings the movie down isn't its action though, but rather the culprit lies in the writing. Not only does it defy science and physics every chance it gets -{{SPOILER: A poor representation of an atomic bomb hitting Nagasaki is shown through a memory SPOILER OVER}}- , but the depictions of certain powers make you wonder if the writers even know how Wolverine's powers work. -{{SPOILER: At one point a guy in a robot samurai (Real Steel, anyone?)somehow manages to CUT Wolverine's adamantium claws with a heated blade, despite the fact that adamantium is supposed to be unbreakable, with the only material within the same zone of strength being vibranium (what Captain America's shield is made of). But the film never offers any sort of clarification or explanation to this. Added to this is that by somehow drilling into his bones, the man in the suit gets younger as if he got Logan's healing factor (even though that's not how it works), yet a few seconds later he gets stabbed and his supposed healing power does nothing anymore? SPOILER OVER}}-

The character writing is poor and very 2-dimensional for everyone other than Logan, and so many developmental/emotional moments are thrown at you so fast that you don't have time to grab onto any of them. It's like there was a bag full of typical Hollywood ideas that the movie just flung on-top of the script.

Build onto this is a predictable and lazy script with a few cheap jokes and a forced romance, and you have a movie that does little more than half-entertain you. And to add to this, the after credits scene makes NO sense (powers wise) and backtracks/negates important aspects from the last movie, which is a very childish and unprofessional thing to do, even if the last movie was quite bad. The people at Marvel need to simply accept their mistake and move on, rather than try to dwell on things that people enjoyed from their first 2 successful X-Men movies.

However, people always overate movies when they first come out, especially for Marvel, so the rating you see here is probably not the one you would give it. But if you're willing to deny several of the things you thought you knew for an hour and a half to be sorta entertained, then you shouldn't have much of a problem for this movie. If not, i recommend reading the plot instead to get ready for the next movie."

Someone can go into Pacific Rim without many expectations because really you're just going into it to see giant robots fighting monsters,whereas Wolverine? It's a comic book film..Most people know his character and know how his comic goes therefore there's hopes and expectations for how one feels that the film will turn out

#23 Edited by Icarusflies (12503 posts) - - Show Bio

PACIFIC RIM!!! It was actually pretty great.

#24 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewolverine04 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@gambit474 said:

I like how my name has nothing to do with the x-men character Gambit yet you just made a poor attempt at an insult. I'd recommend you not comment again as to not embarrass Wolverine fans..then again with comments like this I can see why some people don't like Wolverine fans. I don't even care about Gambit..My favorite character is Ghost Rider and even I can admit they screwed him up filmwise.

That wasn't an insult. Gambit not having a movie is a fact. Besides you're the one who made the comment "Don't let what people are saying about The Wolverine,especially from guys with Wolverine in their username, fool you." Like the opinion of Wolverine fans can't be unbiased. I recommend Pacific Rim over The Wolverine. But I like both. If you're going to be so sensitive you should take your own advice and "not comment again".

#25 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewolverine04 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@gambit474 said:

That wasn't an insult. Gambit not having a movie is a fact. Besides you're the one who made the comment "Don't let what people are saying about The Wolverine,especially from guys with Wolverine in their username, fool you." Like the opinion of Wolverine fans can't be unbiased. I recommend Pacific Rim over The Wolverine. But I like both. If you're going to be so sensitive you should take your own advice and "not comment again".

#26 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6206 posts) - - Show Bio

The Wolverine

#27 Posted by The Stegman (24646 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: I pretty much agree with all your negatives on The Wolverine, though Silver Samurai cut Wolverine's claws with a heated Adamantium blade, and in this series, Adamantium can cut Adamantium I suppose.

#28 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim.

#29 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewolverine04 said:

@gambit474 said:

@thewolverine04 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@gambit474 said:

Oh? That's like saying someone with Master Chief or Halo in their name is always going to be able to be taken seriously when they talk about how good or bad Halo is. It doesn't matter if Gambit doesn't have a movie,especially since he showed up in your wolverine film,because my name has nothing to do with him..It was a poor attempt on your part to try and reverse what I said against me. Lol I'm not being sensitive..You're just trying to make a big deal because I pointed out that it's true that a majority of the time that someone with wolverine,or whatever character in question,is in their pic,name,or whatever else are obviously going to have a bias towards him. Nah you're the only one who needs to take the advice

#30 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: You categorizing people into a unbiased group because of their user name is ridiculous and small minded. I'm done here.

#31 Edited by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: You categorizing people into a unbiased group because of their user name is ridiculous and small minded. I'm done here.

Good riddance

#32 Posted by Spideysense44 (3467 posts) - - Show Bio

i wulda just said i was a gambti fan lmao people like Gambit more than Ghostrider

#33 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

thx for all the comments. went with pacific rim and thought it was very well done.

#34 Posted by Squalleon (4626 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim is better

The Wolverine has many flaws

#35 Posted by lilben42 (2551 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim.

#36 Posted by Gambit474 (1470 posts) - - Show Bio

i wulda just said i was a gambti fan lmao people like Gambit more than Ghostrider

The only reason why anyone would like Gambit more then Ghost Rider is because Ghost Rider's underrated. Anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows that Marvel barely bothers to do anything with Ghost Rider or their other underrated characters like Moon Knight and such because they're too busy shoving Avengers,X-men,and everyone else down people's throats :) At least with DC they tried to put out for some of their lesser characters with their new 52 ;P

#37 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim.

The Wolverine has Wolverine in it.

#38 Posted by JohnnyGat (1570 posts) - - Show Bio

Pacific Rim, if you're like me who ends up deciding based on which is more aesthetically fun to see and which soundtrack you prefer. I really liked PR's main theme.

#39 Posted by Spideysense44 (3467 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474:

yea they really just dropped ghost rider lik he never existed