#1 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I am looking to expand my collection of 4 comics (all Thor ones) to the DC Universe and wanted to know if any of these comics are good / a good price. So far I have read Identity Crisis (Which I loved) and Superman For Tomorrow vol 1 + 2 (which I liked). Thanks in Advance.

Here is the List:

Superman: Birthright (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/mark+waid/leinil+francis+yu/superman/4946574/)

Silver Surfer: Parable

Thor / Iron Man: God Complex (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/dan+abnett/andy+lanning/scot+eaton/thor+_+iron+man3a+god+complex/8373224/)

All Star Superman (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/grant+morrison/frank+quitely/all-star+superman/8667677/)

Justice League Origins: v1 (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/geoff+johns/jim+lee/justice+league3a+origins+v-+1/8992158/)

Blackest Night (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/geoff+johns/ivan+reis/blackest+night/8562356/)

Wonder Woman: Blood v1 (http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/brian+azzarello/cliff+chiang/wonder+woman3a+blood+v-+1/9010242/)

#2 Posted by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

I recommend All-Star Superman and Blackest Night.

I haven't read Silver Surfer: Parable, Thor/Iron Man: God Complex, or Superman: Birthright.

I don't like Justice League: Origin.

Wonder Woman: Blood is pretty good, but not something that blew my mind.

#3 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: With All Star and Blackest Night, how many volumes are there?

#4 Posted by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: All Star Superman is broken up into two volumes, or you could get the one big edition that contains the full story. Blackest Night is just one volume.

#5 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star and Birthright are must-reads for Superman fans. Get those!

#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (14461 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman:Birthright,All-Star Superman and Blackest Night comic books that you need to buy.

#7 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997: @Gambit1024: @The_Tree: Thanks guys. I'll let you know what I think of them :)

#8 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Of the list, I have only read Silver Surfer Parable and I think it is a great story if you are interested in the Surfer.

#9 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate: I am, so far I have only come across Surfer in Mighty Thor and Film and TV but am interested in him.

#10 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: I believe it is considered one of the best Surfer stories out there. I also really enjoyed Silver Surfer: Requiem. The premise is that he is dying and its about how he wants to spend his last days.

#11 Edited by Billy Batson (57777 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright, All-Star and Blood. Everything else is bleh.
BB

#12 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

ALL-STAR SUPERMAN!

#13 Posted by timelord786 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackest night is awesome i would definitely advice you to get that!

#14 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: @timelord786: @sinestro_GL: @Billy Batson: @Cap10nate: @TDK_1997: @Gambit1024: Thanks for the advice guys :) any other good DC comics you'd recommend?

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57777 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer:

Current, past or both?
Any specific character/team/writer/artist?
BB

#16 Posted by Teerack (5386 posts) - - Show Bio

i wouldn't bother with all star super man

#17 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:

any era but preferably more recent

Don't mind artist / writer and any JL character tbh.

#18 Posted by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer:

I really enjoyed the following titles and highly recommend them:

• Green Arrow: Year One
  • Red Robin: The Grail
  • Red Robin: Collision
  • Red Robin: The Hit List
  • Red Robin: 7 Days of Death
  • Booster Gold: 52 Pick-Up
  • Booster Gold: Blue and Gold
  • Booster Gold: Reality Lost
  • Booster Gold: Day of Death
  • Booster Gold: The Tomorrow Memory
  • Booster Gold: Past Imperfect
  • Justice League: Generation Lost volumes 1 and 2
  • Time Masters: Vanishing Point
  • Superman: Last Son
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Superman: New Krypton volumes 1-4
  • Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton volumes 1 and 2
  • Superman: War of the Supermen
  • Batman: Batman & Son
  • Batman: The Black Glove
  • Batman: RIP
  • Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn
  • Batman & Robin: Batman vs. Robin
  • Batman & Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die
  • Batman & Robin: Dark Knight vs. White Knight
#19 Posted by Billy Batson (57777 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer:

If you want to get into the Flash (Wally), you should check out Mark Waid's and Geoff Johns' runs.
BB

#20 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: Wow thanks a lot, lot of effort and I appreciate it.

P.S. Who is Booster gold lol

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (57777 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer said:

@The_Tree: Wow thanks a lot, lot of effort and I appreciate it.

P.S. Who is Booster gold lol

Omg :o
BB

#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14461 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: For Batman I can recommend Batman R.I.P.,The Dark Knight Returns,The Killing Joke,The Long Halloween and the Black Glove.

For Wally:Mark Waid and Geoff Johns' run.

#23 Edited by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Booster Gold is the Greatest Hero You've Never Heard of! (He is literally titled that in his series.)

Booster Gold is a time traveling superhero, who protects the timestream from being altered, along with his close friends Skeets (a witty and tiny robot servant if you will) and Rip Hunter a true Time Master who mentors Booster. He's an awesome and hilarious superhero, with quite possibly one of the most unique and entertaining origins of all time.

His origin via Comicvine:

Michael Jon Carter was born on December 29th, in the year 2442. He grew up to be a foolhardy and egotistical man, and his only stand out talents were his notorious silver tongue, and his ability to promote himself. Never having been the best student growing up, he took a much deeper liking to sports, and football more specifically. Eventually he acquired a scholarship, and proceeded to become a star of college football, and even gained the nickname 'Booster'. However, being the scheming and selfish man we've all come to know and love, Michael started actually betting on his own games. He was caught rather quickly, and banned from playing the sport altogether.

Forced to take a part-time job at the Metropolis Space Museum, Michael 'Booster' Carter was down, out, and on his last leg. On his nights alone at the museum, Michael began to to take an interest in 20th century history, particularly in that time period's Superheroes and Villains. After some time he became completely fed up with where his life was going, and began to concoct a scheme. Through the aid of a museum security robot calledSkeets, Michael took a Legion Flight Ring from a display involving theLegion Of Super-Heroes and a Force Field Belt that belonged to Brainiac 5. He also acquired a power suit that granted him Super Strength and belonged to an unknown Superhero. Lastly he took wrist bands that released Force Bolts and using Rip Hunter's Time Machine he sets off for the 20th Century along with Skeets who possessed some historical records dating back to pre-20th Century history.

#24 Posted by Billy Batson (57777 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree:

Should have recommended the old Justice League and Justice League International for Booster too :p
BB

#25 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree: He sounds awesome, i will have to buy some of his comics

#26 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: ok I'll have a look.

@TDK_1997: What about Hush?

#27 Posted by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Haha, I would've but I was trying to keep things recent, and I didn't want to bog him down with too many titles, my list was big enough as it is!

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (14461 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: Damn!I forgot about it.It is a must read too.The story is great and it is one of the best stuff Loeb has ever done.

#29 Posted by Cap10nate (2160 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Thunderer: The new 52 Swamp Thing is awesome. If you like the character, Alan Moore wrote one of the greatest comic runs in history with his run in the 80s with Swamp Thing. This is great if you want something other than the standard cape stories.

#30 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackest night definitely, Birthright why not.

Stay away from the others. I regret buying those.

#31 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

Blackest night definitely, Birthright why not.

Stay away from the others. I regret buying those.

why?

#32 Posted by derf_jenkins (361 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@The_Thunderer: The new 52 Swamp Thing is awesome. If you like the character, Alan Moore wrote one of the greatest comic runs in history with his run in the 80s with Swamp Thing. This is great if you want something other than the standard cape stories.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man are both great in the new 52. I also agree that Alan Moore's run was one of the best ever.

#33 Posted by Thaxus (53 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude dump 'em and check out Dynamite stuff & Valiant and a lil DC \m/ \m/

#34 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman was one of the coolest reads ever.  The_Tree mentioned "Green Arrow" Year One. YES! YES! YES! A thousand times YES! Not enough people have read that, and it was awesome!

#36 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything: ok

#37 Posted by jonEsherfey (443 posts) - - Show Bio

Get All-Star Superman and Blackest Night. Also Justice League Origins is a lot of fun and an enjoyable easy read.

#38 Edited by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

Also booster Gold is a DC comic about a superher whho goes back in time to become famous. I haven't read Geoff Johns take on him in the reboot, but I bet its okay. I would tell you to read Animal Man if your trying to move into DC, I am reading 9 of the new 52 publications and Animal Man is by far the best.