Should I bother with Civil War? (Recommend alternatives)

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

So, I am not really new to comics, I have just always been lingering at surface-level, or working on recommendations, while I fulfil some of my other obsessions. But since the games industry is looking bleak this year, I am reading quite a lot. I love Kick-Ass a whole lot, as well as most batman stuff. Today I read Old man Logan in one go, rather liked it, and I am also plodding through Before Watchmen, though rather unenthusiastically. I'd perhaps like to bring some Iron man back into my life.

I like the look of Civil War. I like the premise, I like the art, and I like Mark Millar. However, I have heard it is bad, with little reason as to why, while one of my friends I trust rather liked it. Let me know your thoughts, try to explain your opinions with minimal spoilers. If you hate it, what do you suggest I read instead?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Read Kingdom Come. Better story and arguably better art.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By the_tree

I loved Civil War. It's fun, the art was great, and it set the stage for the future of the Marvel Universe.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mtrakos

You would be missing out if you didnt read it. Its one of my favorites.

RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

@JediXMan said:

Thanks, I'll be sure to order it while I got the money to do so (meaning right now)

OK done, the art looks awesome, the story seems interesting :)

@The_Tree said:

I loved Civil War. It's fun, the art was great, and it set the stage for the future of the Marvel Universe.

@mtrakos said:

You would be missing out if you didnt read it. Its one of my favorites.

Then I will be sure to give Civil War a read. Would you suggest I read just the numbered books, or read all of them by looking up the chronological order of every involved issue? I know this series seems to be a bit spread out.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#6  Edited By Teerack

@JediXMan: the art in kingdom come was gross.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Teerack said:

Did... did you just... just call... Alex... Alex Ross... Gross?

I... I have no response to that. It simply does not compute.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Blood1991

@JediXMan said:

@Teerack said:

Did... did you just... just call... Alex... Alex Ross... Gross?

I... I have no response to that. It simply does not compute.

O_O

Alex Ross is amazing even Marvel Fans respect the Ross

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Blood1991:

What I will say is that Ross' work is better suited to covers than interiors, but either way his work is amazing.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Blood1991

@JediXMan said:

@Blood1991:

What I will say is that Ross' work is better suited to covers than interiors, but either way his work is amazing.

Agreed, his work is better on covers I've found he doesn't do as well with smaller images, but who cares his art is gorgeous.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Gambit1024

Whoever said it was bad doesn't know what they're talking about. Civil War was great, and is really the only Marvel event worth reading that was made in the past decade.

And if you like Millar, The Ultimates Vol. 1 and 2 are must-reads.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By sinestro_GL

@Teerack said:

I think you misspelled 'amazing'

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@Gambit1024 said:

and is really the only Marvel event worth reading that was made in the past decade.

Ahem.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DocFatalis

Civil War was maybe the last good non-cosmic story arc from Marvel that I read. I recommend it.

Malonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Malonius

Avengers Disassembled and House of M were probably the start of Marvel's current era so those are important ones to read and both pretty good. Illuminati was also good and helps show the way Marvel wants us to think about how its universe is organized. Whedon's run on Astonishing X-men is really good. Runaways is highly recommended. And yes, Civil War is a great book.

The main reason I've heard against Civil War is that people think Tony Stark and Reed Richards go way out of character in the lengths they go to for the government...pushing the point of acting villainous. Which is definitely sad and ambiguous because I think their side is actually correct and more mature. Vigilantism is against the law for a good reason.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By acer51

Civil war was the best thing Marvel has done in decades, did you know the creator of Civil War was fired because the story was too politicly controversal and thought provocing?

Yeah it's an amazing book, it's was the last REALLY good thing Marvel created before they were bought by Disney.

mtrakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mtrakos

"even marvel fans" JC....Alex Ross is not gross he is an artist.

No Caption Provided

Civil War is the last good thing I have read from marvel (aside from solo series) in years. "whose side are you on"

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123

@The_Tree said:

The future that was quickly erased little by little until the status quo was returned to normal.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By KainScion

reading civil war is a must. and i agree ross is better on covers. the whole book of nothing but ross kinda hurt my eyes.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

The future that was quickly erased little by little until the status quo was returned to normal.

This is why I dislike Civil War. It was completely pointless. At least Kingdom Come is self-contained and never claimed to change anything.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#21  Edited By Teerack

@Blood1991: gross man.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

For what it's worth, at the time, Civil War was a game changer. I'd recommend it as I feel it's the last good non cosmic Marvel event put out. Also Kingdom Come. Way better story and Alex Ross' artwork is simply beautiful.

RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

@Gambit1024 said:

Whoever said it was bad doesn't know what they're talking about. Civil War was great, and is really the only Marvel event worth reading that was made in the past decade.

Awesome, I'll look into those too, though I have never heard of them.

Thanks for all the positive response towards Civil War, guys, but nobody has answered my second question. Do I just read civil war, or go crazy and look for all issues that are part of civil war and read in chronological order? Would picking up the Civil War book from the book shop suffice?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MAZAHS117

Civil War will make Iron Man look like a D-bag if you read it....at least it did for me...Unless your and advid collector I would just recommend picking up the trade paperback...Civil War really isn't one of those arcs where you have to read every little side story to get the gist of what it means to MARVEL U and to follow it.

Remi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Remi

@JediXMan said:

In other words: "It was actually good".

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@JediXMan said:

@Gambit1024 said:

and is really the only Marvel event worth reading that was made in the past decade.

Ahem.

Eh. I have a love-hate relationship with Marvel cosmic. I don't hate it, but it's just not my cup of tea.

@RadioactiveGazz: Just read the main series. Tie-ins are almost always useless in these events.

Uno_Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Uno_Oscuro

@Gambit1024 said:

Secret Invasion, War of Kings, Thanos Imperative, Annihilation all were good, although I do agree that Civil War was awesome and anyone who says otherwise doesn't like comics. Siege and Fear Itself sucked bad though.

RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

@Gambit1024: Thanks. I am reading Kingdom Come first, but Civil War is next in line, especially since I now know what I am looking for.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By acer51

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

Yeah i know..and Marvels about changing the status quo that's what made them unique, they shouldn't remain the same till the end of time, that's what DC does.

I blame Disney for things changing back to the way it was.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By acer51

@RadioactiveGazz said:

@Gambit1024 said:

Thanks for all the positive response towards Civil War, guys, but nobody has answered my second question. Do I just read civil war, or go crazy and look for all issues that are part of civil war and read in chronological order? Would picking up the Civil War book from the book shop suffice?

There are two Civil war books, ones for the pro-registration the other for anti-registration, so if you want to cover the basics you should buy those two at least.

If you like it you might want to check out each heros solo-books to see what happend to them exactly.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By InnerVenom123

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

Yeah i know..and Marvels about changing the status quo that's what made them unique, they shouldn't remain the same till the end of time, that's what DC does.

Disney had no creative input whatsoever.

They leave Marvel's writers to do what they do.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By Cap10nate

@RadioactiveGazz said:

@Gambit1024 said:

The Ultimates is just the Ultimate Universe version of the Avengers. It is a very different take on the Avengers but it is really good.

As for Civil War, it does a good job of being a self contained book. You can just read the 7 books and be fine. There is the New Avengers and Mighty Avengers that show the two different sides of the story for more detail. Any other stories are just if you want to see a particular characters perspective.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By acer51

@InnerVenom123 said:

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

Or so they say.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By InnerVenom123

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

Or so they say.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By acer51

@InnerVenom123 said:

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@acer51 said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

Or so they say.

Ok maybe I'm being too morbid about this, but I find it strange the guy who made Civil War got fired after Disney took over.

Plus I HATE what there doing with the cartoons.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@JediXMan said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The_Tree said:

This is why I dislike Civil War. It was completely pointless. At least Kingdom Come is self-contained and never claimed to change anything.

Agreed. The Superhuman Registration Act was null and void so soon

But yes read both Civil War & Kingdom Come. I've read Civil War (I'm 14), and I enjoyed it. But I have also read the summary to Kingdom Come, and enjoy it so read both. Both have good art also

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Are there any weird or grotesque pictures in Civil War (If there are, don't show me)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#38  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@RadioactiveGazz: Read Kingdom Come and Annihilation 
RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RadioactiveGazz

@Cap10nate: I am liking the idea of The Ultimates more than Civil War right now, but I'll read Civil War first. I may CW digitally, that way I can easily pick and choose what side stuff I pick up if I feel like exploring surrounding events further. That way I can read it while the others arrive.

@Jonny_Anonymous: Kingdom Come is in the post, Annihilation will be added to my list of stuff to read. getting some seriously good recommendations here, thanks for all these!

Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By They Killed Cap!

I loved Civil War...it is what brought me back into books. Kingdom come is legendary as well...can't go wrong withe way.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@They Killed Cap! said:

I loved Civil War...it is what brought me back into books. Kingdom come is legendary as well...can't go wrong withe way.

Just read the ending of Kingdom Come on Amazon and put it on my library cart., Read Civil War last year. so I want to read both.