Avatar image for deathstroke1982
Deathstroke1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Deathstroke1982

Or should life or death fights be free of charge?

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, paying them could lead to trouble like the Marvel Civil war- because they'd need to be registered to receive a government wage.

If they just received a reward for saving the city/world/cat out of a tree, then you could see some villains getting in on that action. Or even anti-heroes withholding services until the right reward is selected.

Maybe something like how Superior Spiderman got his HQ and helpers funded by the city? (I'll admit to not reading the books, but the idea sounds ok- with less blackmail involved of course!)

Deathstroke1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, paying them could lead to trouble like the Marvel Civil war- because they'd need to be registered to receive a government wage.

If they just received a reward for saving the city/world/cat out of a tree, then you could see some villains getting in on that action. Or even anti-heroes withholding services until the right reward is selected.

Maybe something like how Superior Spiderman got his HQ and helpers funded by the city? (I'll admit to not reading the books, but the idea sounds ok- with less blackmail involved of course!)

Interesting

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Night4345

Really hard to make it work realistically without going sketchy with pressure from whoever giving them money.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

You know what discussed this? Civil War.

Well, mostly The Initiative. I believe the conclusion they came to was that paying heroes would make heroics their job, therefore not making them heroes in the classic sense of the term. Or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one asks them to do this stuff. They're on no ones payroll.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless they make a business out of it, no.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

yeah if your an Avenger or a Hero for hire.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

They should only get paid if they've made a profession out of it. Otherwise they've volunteered.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Heroes for Hire.

Cloak and Dagger did some moonlighting.

X-Factor kind of falls under this.

Generally though, they should be compensated in some way in currency comprised of pizza and lattes from the populace. Getting their dry cleaning picked up, cleaning, laundry, etc. Something nice for them to feel appreciated. Not statues. Statues don't do windows.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are getting paid they seem like somebody just doing a job (A good one obviously) but to me it makes them seem less heroic

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

they should, but where does the money come from? if the government then theres the civil war problem, also the heroes are more obligated to do what the government wants

if people and companies donated, and one of the donators get robbed/killed it could tarnish their reputation, also high donators trying to get personal preference

Avatar image for superlightning123
Superlightning123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting Paid For Saving The World Defeats The Purpose Of Being A Hero. Having Super Powers If Enough Of A Award For Me. Having Money Will Leak Private Info. Such As Secret Identity, Family, Or Anyone Else Who Need's Protection. Like Your Girlfriend.

Deathstroke1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deathstroke1982

@ms-lola said:

Heroes for Hire.

Cloak and Dagger did some moonlighting.

X-Factor kind of falls under this.

Generally though, they should be compensated in some way in currency comprised of pizza and lattes from the populace. Getting their dry cleaning picked up, cleaning, laundry, etc. Something nice for them to feel appreciated. Not statues. Statues don't do windows.

lol

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as they feel like volunteering no. However is they asked to be paid they deserve it and should be compensated just like anyone else.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha Flight are payed with Canadian taxpayers' dollars. They've been registered and working for their government since before the SRA was brought up. I wonder if they know about Weapon X.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No way. Super-heroing isn't a job. It's a choice. For example, should Batman get paid?

Absolutely not. His parents weren't shot so that he could get a paycheck for wearing all black later in life.

Superman? No. He got radiation-ified. And decided to not just waste his abilities on a farm.

Green Lantern may be an exception. The Guardians probly have some sweet space-cash on em.

Actually, better idea. A superhero welfare plan. Pretty sure that, at one point, Spiderman was poor. As was Aunt May. But since Peter does a great service to the city, the government should give him some dough since his financial situation isn't that great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Alpha Flight are payed with Canadian taxpayers' dollars. They've been registered and working for their government since before the SRA was brought up. I wonder if they know about Weapon X.

Yeah, but the Canadian government constantly screws them over. Alpha Flight has tried to fund itself on several occasions, and I don't know that any of them were successful.

However, you're absolutely right about the SRA- Canada had it in place for god knows how long (likely decades) before Civil War brought it up. I'm actually rather disappointed there's so little attention paid to Canada in Marvel comics, it's stuff like this that makes me wonder how things function there, both in terms of the superhero community and in general.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18 JediXMan  Moderator

Weren't the Avengers getting paid at one point?

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice Leaguers(and the branching groups) do, or at least use to. In some of the earlier Morrison Animal Man issues they kind of deal wit it. JL members also got a bunch of extra perks like getting high end security systems built in their homes, free repairs to any damage done by a super villain or aliens invading, can get help from people who capable of aiding or training superheroes. Then there's the bases everywhere that they have full access to. Avengers also use to get paid IIRC.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like some have already said, being a superhero is a voluntary job. Being paid is nice, but not necessary at all.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not if they want to keep being called superheroes.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_atomikill_: When was superman radiation-ified? I always thought that he was born with superpowers but perhaps I was wrong.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gymgoer205

@blade_r: Do you think firefighters are less heroic for accepting a paycheck? What about police officers or soldiers?

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: Do you think firefighters are less heroic for accepting a paycheck? What about police officers or soldiers?

Not really, but to me a superhero accepting a pay check is a little different. I'm not sure why but I wouldn't think of Superman as a great hero if he wanted a paycheck.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gymgoer205

@blade_r: So you would rather risk has life saving the world for free? And what do you mean by not really? How is it any different?

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: So you would rather risk has life saving the world for free? And what do you mean by not really?

No, of course he should get something for it, but if Superman was only doing it for a check and not because he genuinely wanted to help I wouldn't think of him as very heroic. And not really just means not really, don't think about it too much. I have plenty of respect for most law enforcement officers, firefighters and soldiers.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: What would you consider fair compensation for saving the world?

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: What would you consider fair compensation for saving the world?

Hell if I know. Like I said he should get something for it, money or whatever im just saying if Superman said he would only save people and the world if he was getting paid I wouldn't think of him as a great hero anymore.

Gymgoer205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: So firefighters are considered heroes by you despite the fact that they get paid, however if superman decided to ask for monetary compensation then he would no longer be a hero in your eyes? Is that what you're saying?

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_atomikill_: When was superman radiation-ified? I always thought that he was born with superpowers but perhaps I was wrong.

No- in yellow sun radiation, Superman gets his powers. On Krypton they don't have all them abilities. Different sun.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r: So firefighters are considered heroes by you despite the fact that they get paid, however if superman decided to ask for monetary compensation then he would no longer be a hero in your eyes? Is that what you're saying?

No. What I am saying is that if he only did it for money he wouldn't be a great hero in my eyes. Like if he literally had no interest in helping people and only did help because he got money out of it, that wouldn't seem very heroic to me.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cave_duck said:

Interesting

so like bounty hunters? I guess heroes for hire worked out for the most part...

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@gymgoer205 said:

No. What I am saying is that if he only did it for money he wouldn't be a great hero in my eyes. Like if he literally had no interest in helping people and only did help because he got money out of it, that wouldn't seem very heroic to me.

but on the flip side there are people like spider-man who literally ended up homeless at one point because he couldn't make money while super heroing......

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Blade_R

@w0nd said:
@blade_r said:

@gymgoer205 said:

but on the flip side there are people like spider-man who literally ended up homeless at one point because he couldn't make money while super heroing......

Yeah I am not saying they shouldn't be rewarded for what they do. They should, especially if they can't even afford a house, food or clothing. I'm just saying if said hero doesn't genuinely care about helping people at all and only does it because he gets money, that doesn't seem heroic to me.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
@blade_r said:

@gymgoer205 said:

I think what he means is that if Superman sat on a bench, watching a meteor plummeting towards Earth- waiting for the UN to transfer the right amount of money into the ATM in the Fortress of Solitude, instead of leaping into action without thought of the rewards., we wouldn't really like him that much

Same as your "everyday" heroes, an Ambulance officer who walks past someone having a heart-attack because he's just finished his shift for the day isn't very heroic. Whereas the same guy dragging someone out of a flaming car that he saw whilst jogging is considered a hero- despite that being his source of income (rescuing/saving/helping people obviously).

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
@blade_r said:

@gymgoer205 said:

I think what he means is that if Superman sat on a bench, watching a meteor plummeting towards Earth- waiting for the UN to transfer the right amount of money into the ATM in the Fortress of Solitude, instead of leaping into action without thought of the rewards., we wouldn't really like him that much

Same as your "everyday" heroes, an Ambulance officer who walks past someone having a heart-attack because he's just finished his shift for the day isn't very heroic. Whereas the same guy dragging someone out of a flaming car that he saw whilst jogging is considered a hero- despite that being his source of income (rescuing/saving/helping people obviously).

Thank you! Lol I knew somebody would get it.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blade_r said:

@cave_duck said:

@w0nd said:
@blade_r said:

@gymgoer205 said:

Thank you! Lol I knew somebody would get it.

I never read heroes for hire, and all my knowledge about Luke cage and Ironfist has been modern, but i liked the dynamic they had on avengers earth's mightiest heroes. They still did good deeds but every once in a while Luke was concerned who the bill was going to.

there are stories like Capes Inc and Heroes 9 to 5 where they were paid by the government to just be supers. Any job they did I guess they wrote off

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

no, but some could use the money to live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

No Caption Provided

Whatever plot hook works, man. Han Solo, Michael Douglas' character in Romancing the Stone, Spider-Man... all of them set out to make some fat bank working for Team White Hat, but in the end, altruism won the day.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By Mrnoital

some heroes really do need a pay check, while others don't

basically if you need to eat to survive(Thor, Superman etc...), or aren't a hero cause you have so much money it's not a problem(Batman, Ironman etc...), you don't need a paycheck, if you live a middle-lower class life, and are struggeling with bills, and save lives on a daily basis, a paycheck would help

sometimes you're provided for when you join a team, i think both x-men and avengers have a rich guy they'll pay the poor members, and alpha flight and justice league of america get it from their respective governments

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By Batman-Hush

It wouldn't work. It'd be Civil War all over again. Given that many superheroes are vigilante's it wouldn't really pan out due to their "illegal" actions.