Should Harley Quinn get top billing in Suicide Squad?

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

#1  Edited By black_wreath

Some points to think about it

• She is making her long awaited film debut.
  • She is arguably the most popular character in the film right now other than The Joker.
  • DCCU would win goodwill by featuring not one but two female-led films before the MCU has one.
  • The idea behind the film to begin with was probably to capitalise on her current popularity (speculation).

The only reason I can think of not to give Margot Robbie top billing is that her name is not Will Smith.

Just throwin' it out there.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By vinomonster

Nope..

Will Smith

Jared Leto Margot Robbie Joel Kinnaman Viola Davis and the rest

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Too much batfan pandering

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@vinomonster: I would've assumed Jared Leto would get last billing, you know one of those ego-saving "...and featuring Jared Leto as The Joker" type things.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Will Smith exists. So no.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Plus top billing literally only has to do with the actor.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

@eyedcyou: not really. If the filmmakers are working for the good of their movie they are making APPEAR at the begining names of the actors that are playing main ROLES.

But, as Sucidie Squad is about a team of characters, and it's not like anybody outside the comic book society knows anything about these characters, it will be the most popularacrir that'll get the top billing.

So yeah. Will Smith

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

No

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#13  Edited By MatthewParker

@black_wreath said:

Some points to think about it

• She is making her long awaited film debut.
  • She is arguably the most popular character in the film right now other than The Joker.
  • DCCU would win goodwill by featuring not one but two female-led films before the MCU has one.
  • The idea behind the film to begin with was probably to capitalise on her current popularity (speculation).

The only reason I can think of not to give Margot Robbie top billing is that her name is not Will Smith.

Just throwin' it out there.

No Joker or Deadshot will, Joker because Joker and Deadshot because Will Smith.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Deadshot leads the Suicide Squad, so he should get top billing. Harley second, since she's a staple character you know will be sticking around.

Joker should have a small role as the antagonist, or one if them, like in Assault on Arkham. I don't want him in the Squad itself. Because of that he should get lowest precedence.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By mickey-mouse
@eyedcyou said:

Plus top billing literally only has to do with the actor.

Well that and all of the other creative forces behind any given project. But, you're on the right track it has nothing to do with the actual character. Seeing how Maggie Roberts is a nobody, it's unrealistic to think Will Smith won't be getting the majority of screen time. I do hope he doesn't HOG it though and other actors are given a chance to shine and show off their characters.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Smith, Jared Leto, Margot Robbie...

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@black_wreath: top billing should be Deadshot imo, wish Will Smith wasn't playing him tho :p

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will Smith and Leto as Joker will get the top billing.

Margot Robbie isn't a household name; Robbie as Harley Quinn isn't going to sell the movie. The general population has no idea who Harley Quinn is if they're not fans of the animated series or Arkham games.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Will Smith is a bigger name.

Deadshot is the main character of the Squad.

Harley isnt that mainstream and people doesnt care for her.

She is one of the reasons the 52 Squad is so bad.

The only way this happens is if Fox crosses with DC and make a Harley Quinn and Deadpool movie.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Yes he does. He's never done an action movie outside of Independence Day & After Earth where he wasn't the main man.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Will will get it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: How is he hogging the screen because of it then? Tell me when was the last time you saw Tom Cruise not be the lead in a movie that wasn't Tropic Thunder.

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: How is he hogging the screen because of it then? Tell me when was the last time you saw Tom Cruise not be the lead in a movie that wasn't Tropic Thunder.

This is an ensemble film called the Suicide Squad not Deadshot, Tom Cruise stars in films where there is only one main character.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mickey-mouse

@superguy1591: With your Tom Cruise comparison you just proved my point. Tom and Smith are both actors that usually hog the screen time and focus on their own characters narrative and other characters never really develop. Case in point; The Mission Impossible movies never focus on the team like in the TV Show, they are all about Ethan Hunt. I want a team movie, not a Deadshot movie.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister: I'm not sure what movie Will Smith has acted in where he wasn't the star, or that he was in an ensemble, but forced his way into the limelight.

He took a backseat to his son in After Earth and he has made cameo in films of little significance.

If anything, the screen hog is Tom Hardy who openly stated that he left because he wasnt the star.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Studios like to make the most bankable actor get screentime to sell the movie.

That's why RDJ is the Avenger that does the most.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dextersinister: Agreed. @superguy1591:

RDJ getting lots of money does not subvert this topic. 4 of the main Avengers have all had solo movies and although RDJ gets to do lots of cool things in both Avengers film all of the characters have gotten some form of character development. Only Hawkeye lacked any real character development in the first film.

Anyway I wouldn't compare Suicide Squad to Avengers because it would be an unfair comparison to the squad; no one on this Suicide Squad team is going to get a true solo movie. Honestly the comparison would lie in Fast & The Furious, and Mission Impossible. Although I love both film franchises, only Fast & Furious is a the true "team movie". Everyone on the team gets to do cool things, and is fully fleshed out. In the MI movies only Ethan Hunt has any kind of real development, and everyone else there is to service Tom Cruise's characters story.

Given Smith's film history and that he demands to be the main man I would be worried if I were you:Google Quieten Tartino's meeting with Will Smith about Django Unchained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2298942/Will-Smith-reveals-turned-Django-Unchained.html

Will claimed that before he resigned from the project he tried to convince director Quentin Tarantino to give Django a more central role in the plot.

The rapper-turned-actor playfully revealed: 'I was like, "No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!"' While the story pivots on Django - who is the emotional core of the film - Waltz's character does get the satisfaction of killing Leonardo Dicaprio's evil slave owner.

There is more. Basically Will wanted more screen time and did not want to in anyway play second fiddle to Waltz's Character(Dr. King Shutlz). Basically Will openly admits he wants to be the man, he wants to have all the cool lines, he wants the lime light. This is why you should be worried about Will Smith.

http://collider.com/will-smith-django-unchained/

Speaking to EW, Smith says, “Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be thelead. The other character was the lead!”

DO you see what I am saying? Hell RDJ doesn't even feel the need to always get to be the one to kill the main bad guy in his own movie. Freaking Pepper kills the main villain in Iron Man 3, and SPOILER ALERT: Vision Gets To Kill Ultron despite Iron Man being Ultron's Main Nemesis in This Movie.

Do not be shocked if 90% of all the cool things in Suicide Squad is done by Will Smith's Deadshot. Like I said, I want a real team movie like Fast & Furious. I prefer this not be another Ethan Hunt type franchise, where it's supposed to be a team, but it's a one man show.