Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Should fans boycott Marvel reboots? (33 votes)

Yes 42%
No 58%

I was talking to friends about how Sony and Fox may just keep rebooting Xmen, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and maybe Daredevil if its not yet gone back to Marvel. Some of us are pretty sure is they belonged to Marvel then this would not happen and they would just have someone take over the mantle of a leaving actor, other say why boycott a film just because its a reboot especially if its good. I guess twice s not to bad, but in ten years will there be a third Spider-Man, fantastic four and xmen reboot? Will they keep flogging a dead cash-cow till they ruin the franchise?

I see a 50/50 split among friends and wonder what it will be like on here.

#1 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6364 posts) - - Show Bio

No. As long as it brings us good movies, I'm fine with it.

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

If fans truly wanted them to go back to marvel yes. Thing is they never will. Most of them don't have the willpower and will go see it anyway and even if they didn't the casual audience will and they outnumber us greatly

#3 Edited by jojjimbo (2472 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because outside of Iron Man 1 and Avengers, First Class and Amazing Spider-Man are the best Marvel films.

#5 Posted by Wolverine08 (44960 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#6 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

NO

#7 Posted by M3th (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno. The idea of seeing Wolverine & Spidey with The Avengers on the big screen is tempting.

But in reality I can't. Force myself to not watch good movies because I want specific movie to be made.

#8 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18729 posts) - - Show Bio

Daredevil is a Marvel property again, but I am 100% sure Spiderman will never be Marvel's again and 90% sure of X-Men and FF.

Spider Man by himself can and has made as much money as the Avengers' universe. He's the single most popular Marvel product by a good margin I'd imagine. Sony will never give him up.

Furthermore 1 actor/actress can't play a character forever. Eventually all of them will be rebooted (regardless of which studio owns them) - they're too successful not to be used and the character is bigger than any actor/actress. James Bond has proven this.

#9 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

But James Bond isn't rebooted every five minutes, I think that They will all stop making money eventually, I think weird things will start happening as the comics move away from the films... I assume that Sony and fox on.y have the rights upto the point when they were bought? Will new storylines need to be bought separately, new charecters? Would marvel sell those? We argued a lot lol.

But say that marvel creates a new xmen who became insanely popular, how sad would it be that they could never see that charecter on the big screen.

Or as with Spider-Man (Spoilers if your just getting into Spider-Man comics stop reading) is dr octopus dead? Or is he only dead in the Toby McGuire universe... In the comics Spider-Man is currently very different to how he is on film... Bu does that matter if Sony and fox plan on just rebooting the franchise over and over and having the heros fight the same baddies over and over... I guess DC films have the same issues, though less of their brands have made it to the big screen, the batman reboot has do well to only redo the joker and two face and Catwoman, superman not so well, maybe if they had introduced a new baddie in the first of the reboot like batman did it would have done better.

Time will tell I guess as wi all things, but I'd like to know what charecters exactly Sony and Fox own and if there really is a limit on popular villains each can face. It would explain a lot of why fox is merging the xmen and fantastic four brands... Xmen vs galactus anyone?

#10 Posted by Squalleon (4686 posts) - - Show Bio

NO.
MARVEL getting back the rights doesn't mean that they will instantly make a FF or X men movie. If MARVEL takes the rights now, it will get around 8 years before the next X men movie.
Sony and Fox actually take the superhero movies more seriously now with MARVEL as a competitor. And MARVEL will lower their standards without competition.
Also MARVEL didn't put as many good movies as everyone thinks. Iron Man,Avengers,Thor and Incredible Hulk are the only actually good ones. Captain America and Iron Man 2,3 were mediocre at best.

#11 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18729 posts) - - Show Bio

@hillbillymorangie said:

But James Bond isn't rebooted every five minutes

Spider-man was only rebooted because of money issues and greed. And there's no way Sony was going to lose its rights to Spiderman - would you?

By the time the new FF movie comes out...it will have been like 10 years. That's half a generation.

Superman was rebooted in 7 years - but I hardly think anyone can blame them. Superman Returns sucked.

Batman is really the only one getting a quick reboot - and that's because Nolanverse isn't going to work outside its own world.

Besides...the CBM genre has only recently taken off in the past decade or so. Its not like we've had to suffer though 100's of reboots, i think its being over-exaggerated.

@hillbillymorangie said:

Or as with Spider-Man (Spoilers if your just getting into Spider-Man comics stop reading) is dr octopus dead? Or is he only dead in the Toby McGuire universe... In the comics Spider-Man is currently very different to how he is on film... Bu does that matter if Sony and fox plan on just rebooting the franchise over and over and having the heros fight the same baddies over and over.

Again. Spiderman has only been rebooted once. And good riddance IMO. McGuire sucks and I hated that Spiderman. Furthermore TASM has all ready set release dates for both 3 and 4 up in 2016 and 2018 respectively. That's about as solid as a future as one can ask for.

@hillbillymorangie said:

Time will tell I guess as wi all things, but I'd like to know what charecters exactly Sony and Fox own and if there really is a limit on popular villains each can face. It would explain a lot of why fox is merging the xmen and fantastic four brands... Xmen vs galactus anyone?

• Sony owns Ghost Rider and Spider Man and all villains related to those two.
  • Fox owns X-men and Fantastic Four (including SS and Galactus) - and all villains related.
  • Marvel owns everything else including the newly re-acquired Daredevil, Elektra, Blade and The Punisher formerly owned by Fox, Fox, New Line and Lionsgate - respectively
#12 Posted by Bierschneeman (4135 posts) - - Show Bio

NO.

MARVEL getting back the rights doesn't mean that they will instantly make a FF or X men movie. If MARVEL takes the rights now, it will get around 8 years before the next X men movie.

Sony and Fox actually take the superhero movies more seriously now with MARVEL as a competitor. And MARVEL will lower their standards without competition.

Also MARVEL didn't put as many good movies as everyone thinks. Iron Man,Avengers,Thor and Incredible Hulk are the only actually good ones. Captain America and Iron Man 2,3 were mediocre at best.

wait what.... captain america is my favorite and Iron man 2 is third.....(incredible hulk 2nd)

#13 Edited by Squalleon (4686 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman: Sir I have to announce you that you suffer from a terrible case of bad-taste :-P
Well Personally i don't like Cap.America, the movie was flawed. But IR2 is objectively bad.

#14 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not if they're good. But I think that they should give back the rights to the rightful owners.

#15 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18729 posts) - - Show Bio

@themanintheshoe: the 4 Spiderman films Sony has made have made something like 3.3 billion dollars.

Would you give that type of money maker away?

#16 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18729 posts) - - Show Bio

@themanintheshoe: I'm fine with it to be honest. If Spiderman was introduced into the MCU he would steal the show...because he's that popular for Marvel. I know I at least, enjoy Spiderman more than anyone else in Marvel and its not that close =/

I'm more excited for TASM 2 than I am any MCU film right now.

#18 Posted by Bierschneeman (4135 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman:

Sir I have to announce you that you suffer from a terrible case of bad-taste :-P

Well Personally i don't like Cap.America, the movie was flawed. But IR2 is objectively bad.

grandiose statements... care to back it up? cite the problems. it kept to the story while improving parts, it didn't have miles of needless exposition, you saw a hero acting like a hero and showed his capability for apt thought (unlike thor)

ok i guess ill admit its not a full movie, but thats really because it is setting up the Avengers movie, even more so than any of the others in addition to having to include the origin story as well as an entire career of superheroing for cap'

#19 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18729 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman: Aside from Iron Man 1...Captain America was the best lead-in film before the Avengers IMO. Film is so underrated

#20 Posted by Squalleon (4686 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: Bad effects, mediocre second half, I think CA gained the love he earned. You just happen to like it more.

#21 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

No, because outside of Iron Man 1, Iron Man 3, Captain America and Avengers, First Class and Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2are the best Marvel films.

fixed it

#22 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

It's much like the pub so far, the no vote just ahead... I agree the new Spider-Man has been pretty good for a reboot also Sony seem less against Marvel using its own franchise even if it doesn't have the film rights, if the last minute didn't make it into the film Osborn tower, in the New York skyline is to be believed.

I disagree about Fox, they seem very argumentative about co operating with Marvel. Maybe the competition will make them all play nice and please fans and co exist... The new wolverine film was good which makes a boycott difficult... But at the same time, every time fox or Sony make a rubbish film or more importantly ruin a charecter (I can forgive mediocre films if the charecters are good) then I really wish I'd waited for it to be on DVD for five quid from ASDA.

I am not saying don't watch these films... But is it worth going to see a film to see the charecters you love ruined? I don't feel that marvel would ever do that? Surely dead pool fans felt like these leaving origins, galactus and silver surfer fans as they left rise, rogue fans after ever xmen film, darwin fans after first class, juggernaut / cyclops / Phoenix / fans after xmen 3? Does anyone feel cheated by the portrayal of a charecter in marvels MCU films?

#23 Edited by RedLantern23 (890 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my question for everyone. If Marvel owned the rights to X-Men, Spider Man, FF, etc this whole time would we be getting a Guardians Of The Galaxy or Ant Man movie? I say no. So maybe its a good thing they dont own the rights to these characters?

#24 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@redlantern23: let's face it Marvel would have gone bankrupt if Sony and Fox had not bought the rights and made successful films...

I'm not saying to disrespect them, while I have had gripes with their treatment of the source material I am thankful for them taking the risk.

But unless the lawyers back down and stop trying to milk the franchises for everything they are worth, I'd rather see marvel get the rights back and renegotiate with deals with anyone who wants to make a film... Ideally I'd like to see fox and Marvel start by allowing each other to use words like mutant and avenger and mention each others charecters, it gives writers less freedom, but thank goodness for that, if the writers were fans of the comics they would not muck it up.

I feel that Marvel would make an amazing silver surfer film or fantastic four film, they are the original super hero team, the first heros I read about as a kid and Stan Lees behind a silver surfer film too. I don't fox will ever make the fantastic four or silver surfer films I want... And There are marvel films I genuinely wish hadn't been made, so having the rights, ability and notion to make a film doesn't always mean its better that it was made.

But as long as the films are good they will keep getting made, even if they annoy the heck out of the fan base, look at Star Trek reboot as long as fans go and moan about it afterwards and the general public go and don't care less about the franchise outside of it being a good summer blockbuster then the films will make bucket loads of cash and new films will be made.

Like I said before how far would a reboot need to drift away from the source material until its no longer considered a part of the franchises universe? I'd say for films like Star Trek it happened straight away and for characters like rogue and dead pool it was also an immediate departure.

#25 Posted by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys, don't worry... There is literally no way that I can see both Fox and Sony having the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man for another 20 years MAX. The thing that Fox and Sony have to deal with is that they have deadlines - if they don't meet it, they have to return the properties they have.

It's actually pretty funny when you think about it, Marvel Studios is just WAITING at their doorsteps until the very day comes where they will HAVE to hand everything over... Fox and Sony can keep playing this game as long as they want but they already know that it won't last forever.

#26 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

It's the movies. It always gets rebooted - like songs, lol. I don't mind -- in fact, I encourage it. Daredevil and Elektra and Fantastic Four come to mind.