#1 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be in the best interest of fans and potential fans if Disney/Marvel woul buy back the rights to the Xmen, Fantastic Four, and the Silver Surfer. I feel like the FF and the Xmen movies were not as good as they could have been and would have never sold the right to begin with. In my eyes those franchise are too important to be left in the hands of Fox. I'd like to give you an example of first 3 Xmen movies. Scott Summers/Cyclops, look who they had portraying the character, some guy with an overbite, that looked like he was smiling everytime he talked. He was very wimpy, instead of being a strong leader type in the films.I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine,but Wolverine should never really be able to lookCyclops in the face because,Cyke is taller. This sort of threw me off as well, not trying to be picky. Even though the movies were comic adaptations, they couldn't be further than the truth about how the character Cyclops is in comics.Why the complaint? Well it's just like in the instance of Batman, when Michael Keaton , Val Kilmer, and George Clooney portrayed the character, we were all happy. Years later after a reboot and 3 new Batman movies, we insult the old Batman movies, and say things like I can't believe I watched that. Here I am reflecting on the Xmen franchise as well as the FF, realizing how excited I was to see these characters on the big screen. Reality has set in for me now, I think it's time to reboot instead of putting bad movies, to prevent damage to the reputation of Marvel characters.Disney /Marvel should buy the rights back from Fox and give us quality movies. Some may or may not agree.

#2 Edited by stumpy49er (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Tim Burtons Batman movies. But yeah I agree, I'd like it if Marvel bought back the rights to those franchises. Not that Marvel movies are perfect. I mean seriously? They made Thor an ancient alien with super science powers. Why? Because it fits more properly with the Iron Man universe. I could care less about Iron Man universe, I like my Thor as a god who uses magic, not an alien who uses magi-science.

#3 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel should just so that they can make more money off these franchises, less and less tickets will go out for Fox films because more and more people(not just comic fans) see them as a joke.

#4 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Marvel should just so that they can make more money off these franchises, less and less tickets will go out for Fox films because more and more people(not just comic fans) see them as a joke.

Thats exactly what i'm getting at!

#5 Posted by Jodez (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be cool, but for the next few years at least Marvel looks like the have enough to work with for Phase 2 and 3 at least.

#6 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez said:

Would be cool, but for the next few years at least Marvel looks like the have enough to work with for Phase 2 and 3 at least.

I know but wouldn't it be cool to see this line up in a movie called Uncanny Xmen and go from there:

#7 Posted by Reignmaker (2234 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't really care about the X-Men. I think their future is fine though regardless. X-Men 2 is still one of the better comic book movies out there IMO.

I do worry about how Fox is going to handle the FF reboot.

#8 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20304 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker said:

Don't really care about the X-Men. I think their future is fine though regardless. X-Men 2 is still one of the better comic book movies out there IMO.


I do worry about how Fox is going to handle the FF reboot.

this. no they shouldnt get the rights back up they should work out a deal with fox to use eachothers characters at times. like if wolverine would have teamed up with Captain America in WW2.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men should stay. Marvel should get everything else

#10 Posted by acer51 (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I want them to do this and then expand the MCU beyond the Avengers.

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

I would like to see Marvel get the rights back to X-Men since I wanted to see the original line up in the comics and see more characters make it to the screen.

#12 Posted by Xwraith (15627 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see the X-Men in the MCU. Maybe it's just me getting more familiar with the comic universe, but I don't think the older X-Men movies have aged very well.

#13 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they should. I want Galactus in Avengers 2.

#14 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

.@Reignmaker@AllStarSuperman said:

@Reignmaker said:

Don't really care about the X-Men. I think their future is fine though regardless. X-Men 2 is still one of the better comic book movies out there IMO.


I do worry about how Fox is going to handle the FF reboot.

this. no they shouldnt get the rights back up they should work out a deal with fox to use eachothers characters at times. like if wolverine would have teamed up with Captain America in WW2.

I'm sorry but the FF movies were horrible and I wasn't to fond of the Xmen movies, it's fair to say it's time to move in a new direction and reboot both the Xmen and FF instead of digging a deeper hole. There's no reason the Xmen or FF should have to be dispaed in such a manner by Fox, it's time to bring the rights to those characters back to the stable. Perhaps then we can get a better quality movies, maybe even successful as the Avengers. One thing I do know is that there have been 6 Xmen related and two FF and they haven't came close to the success of the Avenger, or no where in that ball park. If this isn't reason enough to want Marvel/Disney to get the rights back from Fox then I don't know what to tell you.Look at the lack in financial gain from the Fox movies :Box office grosses

TitleDistributorRelease DateOpeningDomesticWorldwide (in Million)
Howard the DuckUniversalAugust 1, 1986$5,070,136$16,295,774$38.0
BladeNew LineAugust 21, 1998$17,073,856$70,087,718$131.2
X-MenFoxJuly 14, 2000$54,471,475$157,299,717$296.3
Blade IINew LineMarch 22, 2002$32,528,016$82,348,319$155.0
Spider-ManSonyMay 3, 2002$114,844,116$403,706,375$821.7
DaredevilFoxFebruary 14, 2003$40,310,419$102,543,518$179.2
X2: X-Men UnitedFoxMay 2, 2003$85,558,731$214,949,694$407.7
HulkUniversalJune 20, 2003$62,128,420$132,177,234$245.4
The PunisherLionsgateApril 16, 2004$13,834,527$33,810,189$54.7
Spider-Man 2SonyJune 30, 2004$88,156,227$373,585,825$783.8
Blade: TrinityNew LineDecember 8, 2004$16,061,271$52,411,906$128.9
ElektraFoxJanuary 14, 2005$12,804,793$24,409,722$56.7
Fantastic FourFoxJuly 8, 2005$56,061,504$154,696,080$330.6
X-Men: The Last StandFoxMay 26, 2006$102,750,665$234,362,462$459.4
Ghost RiderSonyFebruary 16, 2007$45,388,836$115,802,596$228.7
Spider-Man 3SonyMay 4, 2007$151,116,516$336,530,303$890.9
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver SurferFoxJune 15, 2007$58,051,684$131,921,738$289.0
Iron ManParamountMay 2, 2008$98,618,668$318,412,101$585.2
The Incredible HulkUniversalJune 13, 2008$55,414,050$134,806,913$263.4
Punisher: War ZoneLionsgateDecember 5, 2008$4,271,451$8,050,977$10.1
X-Men Origins: WolverineFoxMay 1, 2009$85,058,003$179,883,157$373.1
Iron Man 2ParamountMay 7, 2010$128,122,480$312,433,331$623.9
ThorParamountMay 6, 2011$65,723,338$181,030,624$449.3
X-Men: First ClassFoxJune 3, 2011$55,101,604$146,408,305$353.6
Captain America: The First AvengerParamountJuly 22, 2011$65,058,524$176,654,505$368.6
Ghost Rider: Spirit of VengeanceSonyFebruary 17, 2012$22,115,334$51,774,002$132.6
Marvel's The AvengersDisneyMay 4, 2012$207,438,708$623,357,910$1,511.8
The Amazing Spider-ManSonyJuly 3, 2012$62,004,688$262,030,663$752.2
Total Grosses$5,031,781,658$10,920.9
Average Grosses$64,469,216$179,706,488$376.6

I rest my case!

#15 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer Tim Burton's Batman movie to Nolan's, so the real problem I see was the other schumacher movies

I think Marvel should just go with what they have for now

it's not only a great way to develop less used characters and less famous too, but they can rack up money so they can in some time buy rights to key characters and parts of the Marvel U. buying the rights now would just kill the present creativity and leech off money for no good reason. let them just go with what they have now, and they might even get lucky and get some of the rights back for FREE

#16 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: This is one way of looking at things!

#17 Posted by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's movies have consistently been better than most Fox / Sony ones (though X-Men 1 and 2 are among my favorite superhero movies)

#18 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20304 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: X2 and X3 did good, i cant believe first class is that low that movie is sick. amazing spiderman doesnt deserve anywhere near that amount of money!

#19 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Jorgevy: This is one way of looking at things!

I just think Marvel has to play it smart. for our own sake even! if marvel doesn't, they might get stuck or owned and then bye bye amazing shared cinematic universe. and I think losing everything would be a LOT worst than losing a few characters temporarily

#20 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@AllStarSuperman said:

@evilvegeta74: X2 and X3 did good, i cant believe first class is that low that movie is sick. amazing spiderman doesnt deserve anywhere near that amount of money!

I put that up so you and other could see, the financial end of the comic adaptations. I really don't want things to get to a point where people say well the X franchise and FF franchise are turning out bad movies, why go and before you know it , no more comic adaptated movies, we've come along way. I've waited a long time to see these comics brought to the big screen, and don't want to lose them, so yeah I'm suggesting that Marvel/Disney buys the rights back and reboot anything Fox related if it's popular. @Jorgevy said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@Jorgevy: This is one way of looking at things!

I just think Marvel has to play it smart. for our own sake even! if marvel doesn't, they might get stuck or owned and then bye bye amazing shared cinematic universe. and I think losing everything would be a LOT worst than losing a few characters temporarily

You're right they need to play it safe. What if, I like that term, What if Fox makes another bad Xmen movie or FF, that could result in people not supporting the movies in the future. Even worse, no more movies made involving the Xmen or the FF, due to fear of financial failure. The same way we start seeing comic adaptated movies slowly but sureley, could possible disappear just as well. Marvel/Disney should just take care of this issue, even if they don't reboot, right away.

#21 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74: true that fox's failure could also hurt the whole industry but not during this momentum. people will be more critical and they already are post Dark Knight Rises and Avengers. so if Fox screws it up, bam, good chance for those rights to come back. same with Sony, even though Spidey is almost always a sure win in the BO.

people are already understanding that there are different people behind different movies, and with that evolution, in the future not only will they thin out the bad movies but they will also keep supporting the good franchises despite the failures of others (in this case mainly Avengers and Batman who are the top dogs of comic book movies)

#22 Posted by catfightfan (577 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish Marvel would buy back the rights to all their characters, but such seems unlikely at this time.

#23 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@catfightfan said:

I wish Marvel would buy back the rights to all their characters, but such seems unlikely at this time.

me too.

#24 Edited by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jodez said:

Would be cool, but for the next few years at least Marvel looks like the have enough to work with for Phase 2 and 3 at least.

I agree. There's no point in buying back the rights. Disney's plate is full already. Buying back the rights would be a waste of money, particularly because they probably won't use those properties in the foreseeable future anyway. Plus they have several other Marvel properties they can develop as well. Why pay for the rights to develop when you can develop another property for free.

In some ways keeping the properties in Fox's hands is preferable only because it allows more Marvel based comic book movies to come out each year. Disney based + Fox based. I mean Fox Marvel movies are usually awful but every once in awhile they get it right.

@AllStarSuperman said:

amazing spiderman doesnt deserve anywhere near that amount of money!

I agree.

#25 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan said:

Marvel's movies have consistently been better than most Fox / Sony ones (though X-Men 1 and 2 are among my favorite superhero movies)

Plus Marvel Studio's film follow continuity. X-Men films are being rebooted and seemingly just made to be made.

#26 Posted by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

They should, but as far as I'm concerned, they can't.

#27 Posted by Alton (154 posts) - - Show Bio

This is such a sad little thread.With DC's Draconian contract with Alan Moore clearly in front of them why was anyone at Marvel stupid enough to sign the Fox contract in the first place? They virtually gave away rights indefinitely until Fox quits of it's own volition.The assumption that Marvel Studios, whoever they really are, make better movies is actually the result of Whedon ,Raimi,and others that were dedicated to making it work.Nobody at Disney/Marvel has a clue how to make things work movie wise.They got lucky is all.Marvel is trying to keep the publishing end afloat and doing poorly at that.The greater diversity of input from the greatest pool of talent is the way good movies get made not by bringing everything in house which leads to creative in breeding.Sometimes Fox wiil screw up but eventually so won't Disney/Marvel.Look at John Carter for example.Marvel green lighting 2 Ghost Rider movies is as much Marvel's fault as it is Sony's.Why would anyone outside of TV have picked that character for a feature film in the first place? Wolverine a lousy character from the start is only kept alive for movies based on Jackman's ego.Like Hallie Berry in Catwoman he actually thinks he has a hot franchise.People you got to get over this Marvel Studios is the center of the universe kick and help support the best efforts of moviemakers regardless of studio.

#28 Posted by ccraft (5077 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed, If the X-Men / FF / Wolverine movies were bought back by Disney they would be better, because Disney could put a lot of money into making them. Is Fox even making a deal for Disney to buy them, or are they just saying no?

#29 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Agreed, If the X-Men / FF / Wolverine movies were bought back by Disney they would be better, because Disney could put a lot of money into making them. Is Fox even making a deal for Disney to buy them, or are they just saying no?

I have no idea!

#30 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (5895 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I really loved Daredevil.

#31 Posted by Alton (154 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Agreed, If the X-Men / FF / Wolverine movies were bought back by Disney they would be better, because Disney could put a lot of money into making them. Is Fox even making a deal for Disney to buy them, or are they just saying no?

Dude, Disney poured a lot of money into John Carter and look where that ended up.Who is Marvel Studios anyway.Who actually runs the show there? There's no saving the Wolverine character and from what I've been reading the current direction of FF which I would like to see successful is already going in the wrong direction anyway.

#32 Posted by mk111 (3140 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Alton said:

This is such a sad little thread.With DC's Draconian contract with Alan Moore clearly in front of them why was anyone at Marvel stupid enough to sign the Fox contract in the first place? They virtually gave away rights indefinitely until Fox quits of it's own volition.The assumption that Marvel Studios, whoever they really are, make better movies is actually the result of Whedon ,Raimi,and others that were dedicated to making it work.Nobody at Disney/Marvel has a clue how to make things work movie wise.They got lucky is all.Marvel is trying to keep the publishing end afloat and doing poorly at that.The greater diversity of input from the greatest pool of talent is the way good movies get made not by bringing everything in house which leads to creative in breeding.Sometimes Fox wiil screw up but eventually so won't Disney/Marvel.Look at John Carter for example.Marvel green lighting 2 Ghost Rider movies is as much Marvel's fault as it is Sony's.Why would anyone outside of TV have picked that character for a feature film in the first place? Wolverine a lousy character from the start is only kept alive for movies based on Jackman's ego.Like Hallie Berry in Catwoman he actually thinks he has a hot franchise.People you got to get over this Marvel Studios is the center of the universe kick and help support the best efforts of moviemakers regardless of studio.

I was gonna comment on this, but I think it's a waste! How about you look at the financial turnaround of movies Fox Related below and then talk to us!Box office grosses

TitleDistributorRelease DateOpeningDomesticWorldwide (in Million)
Howard the DuckUniversalAugust 1, 1986$5,070,136$16,295,774$38.0
BladeNew LineAugust 21, 1998$17,073,856$70,087,718$131.2
X-MenFoxJuly 14, 2000$54,471,475$157,299,717$296.3
Blade IINew LineMarch 22, 2002$32,528,016$82,348,319$155.0
Spider-ManSonyMay 3, 2002$114,844,116$403,706,375$821.7
DaredevilFoxFebruary 14, 2003$40,310,419$102,543,518$179.2
X2: X-Men UnitedFoxMay 2, 2003$85,558,731$214,949,694$407.7
HulkUniversalJune 20, 2003$62,128,420$132,177,234$245.4
The PunisherLionsgateApril 16, 2004$13,834,527$33,810,189$54.7
Spider-Man 2SonyJune 30, 2004$88,156,227$373,585,825$783.8
Blade: TrinityNew LineDecember 8, 2004$16,061,271$52,411,906$128.9
ElektraFoxJanuary 14, 2005$12,804,793$24,409,722$56.7
Fantastic FourFoxJuly 8, 2005$56,061,504$154,696,080$330.6
X-Men: The Last StandFoxMay 26, 2006$102,750,665$234,362,462$459.4
Ghost RiderSonyFebruary 16, 2007$45,388,836$115,802,596$228.7
Spider-Man 3SonyMay 4, 2007$151,116,516$336,530,303$890.9
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver SurferFoxJune 15, 2007$58,051,684$131,921,738$289.0
Iron ManParamountMay 2, 2008$98,618,668$318,412,101$585.2
The Incredible HulkUniversalJune 13, 2008$55,414,050$134,806,913$263.4
Punisher: War ZoneLionsgateDecember 5, 2008$4,271,451$8,050,977$10.1
X-Men Origins: WolverineFoxMay 1, 2009$85,058,003$179,883,157$373.1
Iron Man 2ParamountMay 7, 2010$128,122,480$312,433,331$623.9
ThorParamountMay 6, 2011$65,723,338$181,030,624$449.3
X-Men: First ClassFoxJune 3, 2011$55,101,604$146,408,305$353.6
Captain America: The First AvengerParamountJuly 22, 2011$65,058,524$176,654,505$368.6
Ghost Rider: Spirit of VengeanceSonyFebruary 17, 2012$22,115,334$51,774,002$132.6
Marvel's The AvengersDisneyMay 4, 2012$207,438,708$623,357,910$1,511.8
The Amazing Spider-ManSonyJuly 3, 2012$62,004,688$262,030,663$752.2
Total Grosses$5,031,781,658$10,920.9
Average Grosses$64,469,216$179,706,488$376.6

See also Anything after 2000 check the gross, I notice Fox has the most failures.Can you show anything that supports your rant, opps,excuse me, your statement?

#34 Posted by The_Tree (7243 posts) - - Show Bio

They should just buy back the Fantastic Four, I'm cool if they keep the X-Men.

Online
#35 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4521 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

They should just buy back the Fantastic Four, I'm cool if they keep the X-Men.

I can't agree with that, but I understand, I wasn't a fan of the X movies as well.