Should creators charge for autographs?

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By noj

Recently I went to a Neal Adams signing at my LCS. He is by far the most prolific comic creator I had ever met before. I had even brought some extra cash to possibly get a quick sketch. Little did I know exactly how expensive everything would be. A VERY simple and relatively undetailed headsketch that he had predrawn cost 150 dollars. His prints were slightly more reasonable running around 20 dollars for one and 50 for 3. There were some pretty awesome ones and I was planning on getting 3 but then I learned the real kicker.

He was giving out one autograph for free and the others would cost you $10 a piece. Apparently this was even a deal since he charges $20 per autograph at cons! I was floored. I was seriously even planning on getting 3 prints until I learned it wouldve cost me $70 if I wanted all 3 autographed. So I ended up just getting one. I respect Neal Adams as a creator but I dont like him THAT much. He was well before my time. Now I can understand to a certain extent why he would do this at cons to lessen the lines and make it so hes not signing all day and to make some extra cash but $20 for something that takes him literally seconds seems a bit outrageous. Plus he was at a small comic store with only a couple people every few minutes asking for a signature. Maybe if it was something like $20 if you want more than 5 or 10 autographs but 20 per autograph seems a bit crazy. The funny thing is he actually wouldve made more money from me if he wasnt charging so much for autographs.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever payed that much for an autograph before?

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By noj

bump

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 65

#3  Edited By AssertingValor

Sounds unreasonable to me, i would never pay for an autograph. I would feel rather insulted if i was asked to pay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

If I were to bring a book and I asked him to sign it id expect him to sign it

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers