No Caption Provided
RedQueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By RedQueen

Going to have to vote yes; for reasons that you've stated.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By InnerVenom123

YES.

DEAR GOD, YES.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#54  Edited By Magian

Definitely wouldn't hurt having one.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#55  Edited By BumpyBoo

I am prepared to beg for this.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#56  Edited By TDK_1997

Yeah.It would be useful.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Blood1991

@Deadite said:

How about a Polled(Vote) Block feature? The block is an absolute block, but only effective on the thread the Poll was used.

I can go with your ideas either, but I have the poll idea so I just want to mention it anyway. Everyone who made a post in the thread will see the poll (except the user who's getting voted on, just because...)

Since it's a vote-to-block system, it's fairer, so I think we can maximize the effect of the block, that means we can't see their post whatsoever. Why this absolute? If you're aware someone's trolling and their post is targeting you, you'll still want to unblock the blocked post and read it, than block it again, so it's less useful to those that care they're being trolled at, and other users can see it while they can't.

To avoid troll-polls on this block feature: Unless over half the users on the thread made their votes, the vote doesn't count. That user cannot raise another poll in 24 hours.

That seems more intricate than a block feature would need to be, but if it works I'm down.

@Illuminatus said:

I'd just block all the trolls, like Mercy_ and ReVamp. Yep.

This would give that power. YAY power.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Blood1991

@RedQueen said:

Going to have to vote yes; for reasons that you've stated.

Thank you.

@InnerVenom123 said:

YES.

DEAR GOD, YES.

Well you inspired this in me from a Tumblr coment you made that made this pop into my brain so cudos to my inspiration.

@BumpyBoo said:

I am prepared to beg for this.

Same.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Blood1991: That was you? Sweet.

Deadite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#60  Edited By Deadite

@Blood1991 said:

@Deadite said:

How about a Polled(Vote) Block feature? The block is an absolute block, but only effective on the thread the Poll was used.

I can go with your ideas either, but I have the poll idea so I just want to mention it anyway. Everyone who made a post in the thread will see the poll (except the user who's getting voted on, just because...)

Since it's a vote-to-block system, it's fairer, so I think we can maximize the effect of the block, that means we can't see their post whatsoever. Why this absolute? If you're aware someone's trolling and their post is targeting you, you'll still want to unblock the blocked post and read it, than block it again, so it's less useful to those that care they're being trolled at, and other users can see it while they can't.

To avoid troll-polls on this block feature: Unless over half the users on the thread made their votes, the vote doesn't count. That user cannot raise another poll in 24 hours.

That seems more intricate than a block feature would need to be, but if it works I'm down.

It's a complicated plugin. But a voting system is a fair way to deploy a mighty, heavy block, I don't actually need it on Comic Vine. I need it for my Roleplaying forum. I asked for the plugin on MyBB's request page a week ago and it would be a complex plugin to make.

What I really like about it is, it's a subtle moderating ability for regular users. New forums (the MyBB forum I have) usually lack staff members to moderate their site, so people like me will benefit from this the most, I think.

But whoever designed it, I am sure they won't just let it fly as a free plugin. This is like a super society filter thingy...Now I wish Computer Programming is my major...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

We do have a block button...it's called ignoring people.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Blood1991

@InnerVenom123 said:

@Blood1991: That was you? Sweet.

Yep I typed in comicvine to see if anyone like me had used the same user name like I did and found your comment on Storm fans and thought "what if we could drown out the loonies?" And boom block/ignore idea popped into thy brain.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Blood1991

@Deadite said:

@Blood1991 said:

@Deadite said:

It's a complicated plugin. But a voting system is a fair way to deploy a mighty, heavy block, I don't actually need it on Comic Vine. I need it for my Roleplaying forum. I asked for the plugin on MyBB's request page a week ago and it would be a complex plugin to make.

What I really like about it is, it's a subtle moderating ability for regular users. New forums (the MyBB forum I have) usually lack staff members to moderate their site, so people like me will benefit from this the most, I think.

But whoever designed it, I am sure they won't just let it fly as a free plugin. This is like a super society filter thingy...Now I wish Computer Programming is my major...

o.O ooooh that would allow us as a community to shun the unwanted lol. I'm not sure how that would work here. Some people are very outspoken and while I'm all for free speech and opinions they're are users I would rather not have to see are hear from. I don't mind them staying or posting whatever if thats what they want to talk about if I don't have to see it, because stupid post are pratically magnets for hate and rage.

jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By jobiwankenobi

It might irritate people if they are blocked and don't realize it. But then again if someone ignores you; you'd feel the same. I like the idea of blocking them, but having the option to read it.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

We do have a block button...it's called ignoring people.

Some people are very hard to ignore and I have seen full blown conflicts that could have been easily dealt with if the users were simply able to ignore each other or the OP of the thread.

@jobiwankenobi said:

It might irritate people if they are blocked and don't realize it. But then again if someone ignores you; you'd feel the same. I like the idea of blocking them, but having the option to read it.

The Warcraft froum example was like that, I was for being able to unignore them under their profile pic like following and unfollowing. Some users may be offended, but they had to do something offensive to get blocked in the first place.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

Some people are very hard to ignore and I have seen full blown conflicts that could have been easily dealt with if the users were simply able to ignore each other or the OP of the thread.

We shouldn't have to make it so you can't see certain people's posts so that you can ignore them. That's something you just do. Ignoring someone isn't something you fail at because you aren't able it's something you fail at because you chose not to ignore them. 
Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#67  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Sooooo much yes.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

We shouldn't have to make it so you can't see certain people's posts so that you can ignore them. That's something you just do. Ignoring someone isn't something you fail at because you aren't able it's something you fail at because you chose not to ignore them.

This isn't just about me. Alot of people have issues with the post and threads made by certain users we would rather not see. Yes I fail at ignoring people who annoy me I am working to make that easier to correct. It may be easy for you to ignore the bull some users post, but I have a hard time with it. Thats is why I would like to make it easier to do. It is a feature we can either choose to use or not use. It just makes it easier for some of us. You wouldn't need to use it nor anyone else who doesn't want to. Just a little add on to make some users time here more enjoyable.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

This isn't just about me. Alot of people have issues with the post and threads made by certain users we would rather not see. Yes I fail at ignoring people who annoy me I am working to make that easier to correct. It may be easy for you to ignore the bull some users post, but I have a hard time with it. Thats is why I would like to make it easier to do. It is a feature we can either choose to use or not use. It just makes it easier for some of us. You wouldn't need to use it nor anyone else who doesn't want to. Just a little add on to make some users time here more enjoyable.

I'm not saying this is about you or anyone in particular. I mean this in a general sense. When I said "you" I was speaking figuratively. I'm not saying it's easy for me to ignore people..In fact I usually don't. If someone says something I don't like, I address it which is the same thing most of the people on these forums do. All I'm saying is you shouldn't need an extra feature to so something that SHOULD be within your own capability.
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

I'm not saying this is about you or anyone in particular. I mean this in a general sense. When I said "you" I was speaking figuratively. I'm not saying it's easy for me to ignore people..In fact I usually don't. If someone says something I don't like, I address it which is the same thing most of the people on these forums do. All I'm saying is you shouldn't need an extra feature to so something that SHOULD be within your own capability.

You just admitted it wasn't easy to ignore people and yes I should be able to let go of things that annoy me, but I can't and don't feel I should have to see ridiculous post and threads by the same user when with a click I wouldn't have to. I think it could only benifit comic vine and help avoid alot of pointless conflict.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

You just admitted it wasn't easy to ignore people and yes I should be able to let go of things that annoy me, but I can't and don't feel I should have to see ridiculous post and threads by the same user when with a click I wouldn't have to. I think it could only benifit comic vine and help avoid alot of pointless conflict.

You're misunderstanding what I said. The part you are highlighting isn't me admitting anything. It's a suggestion that I don't understand the argument as a whole. Whether it is easy or not to ignore someone when they say something you don't like is none of my concern (thus "i'm not saying it's easy"), it didn't have anything to do with my point. My point was more whether we should create new features in order to keep people from having petty arguments or seeing things they don't want to (thus the point of the mods and the flag button) or not. I don't ignore people because I don't want to, not because i'm not capable.
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

You're misunderstanding what I said. The part you are highlighting isn't me admitting anything. It's a suggestion that I don't understand the argument as a whole. Whether it is easy or not to ignore someone when they say something you don't like is none of my concern (thus "i'm not saying it's easy"), it didn't have anything to do with my point. My point was more whether we should create new features in order to keep people from having petty arguments or seeing things they don't want to (thus the point of the mods and the flag button) or not. I don't ignore people because I don't want to, not because i'm not capable.

Ok I see your point, but why not add the feature? What does it hurt? I can't see where it does anything other than benefit us. This would allow users alittle more control over their experiance here. Choices are good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Yes.

There should also be a Block User function and a Flag an Account button.

That way we can Flag Troll accounts and not just their posts.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#74  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm all for it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

Ok I see your point, but why not add the feature? What does it hurt? I can't see where it does anything other than benefit us. This would allow users alittle more control over their experiance here. Choices are good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it hurts anything. I'm just wondering why people can't simply ignore others if that's what they want to do? I'm not going to protest about the addition to the site, I just personally feel like additions to the site that make it better should be reserved for things we actually NEED and I don't feel like this is one of those things. 
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Blood1991

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Yes.

Thank you for your support in this matter. I agree with blocking users more than just post. I would enjoy my time here alot more if I didn't see certain users threads.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

I'm not saying it hurts anything. I'm just wondering why people can't simply ignore others if that's what they want to do? I'm not going to protest about the addition to the site, I just personally feel like additions to the site that make it better should be reserved for things we actually NEED and I don't feel like this is one of those things.

Well I disagree on this not being needed, but I respect your opinion as always Vance. I am fighting for this feature and I would welcome your support, but if you don't think it is necessary thats fine.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By The_Thunderer

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Yes.

@Gambit1024 said:

I'm all for it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Blood1991 said:

Well I disagree on this not being needed, but I respect your opinion as always Vance. I am fighting for this feature and I would welcome your support, but if you don't think it is necessary thats fine.

Understood. I hope I didn't come off as angry or aggressive. 
Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Blood1991

@Vance Astro said:

@Blood1991 said:

Understood. I hope I didn't come off as angry or aggressive.

No you didn't come off aggresive. I'm glad I got a counter arguement for this. The idea isn't perfect. If I do convince Comic Vine to do this it will take time, planning, and work.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Blood1991

Would a block feature be possible on Comic Vine? Not would you, but could you? Sorry I'm unfamilar with alot of the staff here.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By lykopis

Interesting read.

So -- I do understand the stance of ignoring but having been on CV for a while now, I do understand the upset one might feel reading along a thread only to come across an ignorant and trollish post. There is no un-reading it. Yes, ignore it -- true, but some opinions expressed can be outright offensive and people are...well, people. I think its fair to claim there are users that can be identified for this behaviour and yes, I think it goes both ways. That user that you find offensive or extremely annoying likely feels the same about you so it would most likely end up a mutual "block".

If I could, I would like to throw in if possible, an option of blocking people from writing on your wall? From having access to reading your profile? What people write can be pretty disgusting and yes, I know I can deny their wall post -- the thing is, I am still forced to read it in order to deny it. I can delete whatever I like from my inbox but even then there is a preview portion and I think most of us are instant readers. Add to that the prevention of having my profile accessed by whomever and also, control over who follows me. I should have the option of accepting a new follower and the option of not allowing them to follow me. Like a blocked list. I know Facebook has this option (ugh -- I hate that site) so it is possible.

Now, I do want to point out that ComicVine is being redesigned as its format legally belongs to the new owners of AnimeVice. So -- to implement a blocking system might not be possible but I do think we could push for it to be incorporated into the new web-page design and user system.

My two pence. :)

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Blood1991

@lykopis said:

Interesting read.

So -- I do understand the stance of ignoring but having been on CV for a while now, I do understand the upset one might feel reading along a thread only to come across an ignorant and trollish post. There is no un-reading it. Yes, ignore it -- true, but some opinions expressed can be outright offensive and people are...well, people. I think its fair to claim there are users that can be identified for this behaviour and yes, I think it goes both ways. That user that you find offensive or extremely annoying likely feels the same about you so it would most likely end up a mutual "block".

If I could, I would like to throw in if possible, an option of blocking people from writing on your wall? From having access to reading your profile? What people write can be pretty disgusting and yes, I know I can deny their wall post -- the thing is, I am still forced to read it in order to deny it. I can delete whatever I like from my inbox but even then there is a preview portion and I think most of us are instant readers. Add to that the prevention of having my profile accessed by whomever and also, control over who follows me. I should have the option of accepting a new follower and the option of not allowing them to follow me. Like a blocked list. I know Facebook has this option (ugh -- I hate that site) so it is possible.

Now, I do want to point out that ComicVine is being redesigned as its format legally belongs to the new owners of AnimeVice. So -- to implement a blocking system might not be possible but I do think we could push for it to be incorporated into the new web-page design and user system.

My two pence. :)

I appreciate you two pence and agree full heartidly.

Original_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Original_Sin

Pleae let this happen. It would save a lot of head banging and cut back on a lot of heat between users who don't get along.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#85  Edited By Aiden Cross

I would understand if they woulddnt do this on the forum. But it would be handy for pm's and wall posts.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Blood1991: what happens when another viner quoted a post of the viner you've blocked? Would you see the post of the viner whom you've blocked?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By jhazzroucher

why have a "block" feature when you can ignore it?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Blood1991

@Aiden Cross said:

I would understand if they woulddnt do this on the forum. But it would be handy for pm's and wall posts.

I want them to go ahead forward with it. After the Storm battle fiasco I think we could stop something similar from happening this way or at least make it a less wide spread problem.

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991: what happens when another viner quoted a post of the viner you've blocked? Would you see the post of the viner whom you've blocked?

That would be up to the staff to deciede. I wouldn't be opposed to it. My main concern is threads.

Original_Sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Original_Sin

@jhazzroucher said:

Because some people spew so much crap everywhere for so long you can't ignore it. So if a block was possible it would be like they don't exist.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#90  Edited By Joygirl

Yeah, I see no reason not to have a block function. Never seen it do anything but good in the past.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Blood1991

@Original_Sin said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Because some people spew so much crap everywhere for so long you can't ignore it. So if a block was possible it would be like they don't exist.

Cutting down on spite, hate,trolling and making Comic vine more enjoyable.

@Joygirl said:

Yeah, I see no reason not to have a block function. Never seen it do anything but good in the past.

After investigating a few sites with the feature I haven't seen how it does anything, but good either.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Blood1991: let's say you blocked me. if I create Storm threads, you wouldn't be able to see the threads that I have created on the Storm forum, is that correct?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Blood1991

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991: let's say you blocked me. if I create Storm threads, you wouldn't be able to see the threads that I have created on the Storm forum, is that correct?

That would be correct.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

That would be correct.

I see. That doesn't sound cool.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By YoungJustice

Yeah if I could block a specific user I would be so happy.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Blood1991

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

That would be correct.

I disagree for several reasons, but this benefits everyone. Users are very nasty in certain users threads block them and you doon't have to deal with them.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By InnerVenom123

@jhazzroucher said:

@Blood1991 said:

@jhazzroucher said:

That would be correct.

No one is this naive.

You are trolling.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Blood1991

@InnerVenom123: Play nice don't get me locked down lol

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99  Edited By TheCrowbar

@Blood1991: @InnerVenom123:

Blood is right. I want this to happen, if we argue here it might be outright dismissed and ignored.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Blood1991

@TheCrowbar said:

@Blood1991: @InnerVenom123:

Blood is right. I want this to happen, if we argue here it might be outright dismissed and ignored.

I'm always right, which is why this should happen in the fist place