#1 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by The Poet (8337 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to know what you mean by block before I vote...

#3 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

So I left 3 weeks ago, because some users were just obnoxious and you can't punch people through the internet so I walked away. Well to fill my internet void I made a Tumblr http://blood1991.tumblr.com/. Tumblr has a neat blocking feature which is really awesome for getting rid of stalkers, a$$holes and trolls that I thought would work great on a forum. Oh and thanks to all my homies who cared enough to post on my wall and stuff.

EDIT- I'm adding my plan on.

Thanks to everyone who has been contributing to the discussion both negative and positive feedback.

I have some ideas for doing this that will hopefully be mostly benficial for everyone.

Lykopis and White Mage brought up something I think can be solved rather easily by making an option "allow or do not allow" following. Then make it so only people you allow to follow you make post on your wall.

Trask made a point when he said "I like the idea that it would be readable without having to completely unblock them. Even a broken clock is right twice a day etc... might help if others reply to said idiot" This works in other forums some have been listed and it gives us the option to see and comment if we made the choice to block them. I'm for it.

7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning and The Crowbar both made a valid point about threads and I think I have a solution. If you block/ignore a user their threads won't appear in the most recent topics, However, they would still be viewable on the forum it was posted on. Take for example I block a user who recently created another "She Hulk Is A Whore" thread I wouldn't see it when I clicked forum, but would see it if I went to the She Hulk forum. This cleans out the clutter as The Crowbar stated as well as giving the option to comment on this persons topic.

If a user blocks another user they shouldn't be able to private message them, but I think being able to reply to one another is fine, but I would like the option to open the comment like regular post. Oh and I'm against blocking mods personally. If someone you let follow you is less than polite than blocking them would mean they are no longer following you and can no longer make post on your wall or private message you.

Thoughts or anything I missed?

Oh and this is just MY idea not the staffs. Babs PM'd me last night telling me that she would run it by with the sites engineers, but they are to busy to work on it now. Though I didn't get a flat out no so this could be a feature in the near future. If so I think we should make or opinions on what we would want or don't want in this feature.

#4 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Poet: Making it so you wouldn't have to see threads or post made by a certain user.

#5 Posted by JediXMan (30653 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel such things usually divide a community. However, preventing specific people from messaging you or receiving notification messages when they reply to you wouldn't be amiss.

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like it would cut down on so much conflict.

#7 Posted by BatWatch (2726 posts) - - Show Bio

God yes! If you mean should we have a feature where it automatically blocks out all comments from idiots, that would be wonderful. I add a couple people to my mental list every month.

#8 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

God yes! If you mean should we have a feature where it automatically blocks out all comments from idiots, that would be wonderful. I add a couple people to my mental list every month.

Thank You!

@Mercy_ said:

I feel like it would cut down on so much conflict.

Certain users "no names" have made certain forums unbearable. I just imagine how great it would be to not see or hear from them ever again.

@JediXMan said:

I feel such things usually divide a community. However, preventing specific people from messaging you or receiving notification messages when they reply to you wouldn't be amiss.

I wish to go further, but it would be a step in the right direction.

#9 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point it seems necessary

#10 Posted by space_coyote (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been to other forums that have an "ignore" function and it seems to work fine.

#11 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor said:

At this point it seems necessary

Agreed

@space_coyote said:

I've been to other forums that have an "ignore" function and it seems to work fine.

Any examples of a site like that. I just want to see how it works for myself.

#12 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:

Warcraft forums.

#13 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@Blood1991:

Warcraft forums.

I thought you might be on my side on this. I'll check it out thanks.

#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991:

You'd be right lol

#15 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks to the Crowbar I have a better example

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3342095533

This is just a random page by going up to their profile pic you can ignore a post. My idea is to add the option under send pm on our avatars and have it acknowledge the user you have blocked or ignored has made a post, but you will only be able to see it by unblocking/unignoring the user.

If anyone has a better idea or would like to add on then feel free to do so.

#16 Posted by space_coyote (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

http://forums.prowrestling.com/

I used to go there when I was into WWE.

The way it works there, when someone you're ignoring posts something, you can see that they made a post, but it's minimized, kind of when you flag something on this site.

#17 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@space_coyote said:

http://forums.prowrestling.com/

I used to go there when I was into WWE.

The way it works there, when someone you're ignoring posts something, you can see that they made a post, but it's minimized, kind of when you flag something on this site.

Is it readble? Or is it more or less illegible

#18 Posted by space_coyote (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: You can't read it unless you click it to open it.

Otherwise it just says "So and so your ignore list made a post"

#19 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@space_coyote: That works for me to. Which ever would be easier for the site workers. I just think this is a feature that would benefit Comic Vine and its users.

#20 Posted by Trask (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the idea that it would be readable without having to completely unblock them. Even a broken clock is right twice a day etc... might help if others reply to said idiot.

#21 Posted by space_coyote (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

I think if CV were to implement something like that, it would quickly become a lonely placed for certain users :P

#22 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Trask said:

I like the idea that it would be readable without having to completely unblock them. Even a broken clock is right twice a day etc... might help if others reply to said idiot.

That would be fine by me with comments, but I want this feature to ignore their threads completely. Some users create very, very idotic threads that I think many users would rather not see at all in the first place.

#23 Posted by Saren (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering that there are absolutely inane site rules that allow notorious trolls to run rampant while curtailing the abilities of the mods to do anything about them: yes, this is absolutely, 300%, necessary. If the folks in charge of CV couldn't care less who they let back on or if this site turns into KMC 2.0, being able to block certain users would be the next best thing to an effective moderation system (since apparently that's no longer an option).

#24 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Yes and Yes dude!

If we had this, I would love this site sooo much more.

#25 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10510 posts) - - Show Bio

150% agreed. This would cut down on SO much unnecessary drama. CV - make it happen!

#26 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. We also need signatures! D:

But blocking is way more important. I'd like to block one or two people and never have to see their posts again.

#27 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@space_coyote said:

I think if CV were to implement something like that, it would quickly become a lonely placed for certain users :P

Some Users may need to learn a hard lesson about being obnoxious

@CitizenBane said:

Considering that there are absolutely inane site rules that allow notorious trolls to run rampant while curtailing the abilities of the mods to do anything about them: yes, this is absolutely, 300%, necessary. If the folks in charge of CV couldn't care less who they let back on or if this site turns into KMC 2.0, being able to block certain users would be the next best thing to an effective moderation system (since apparently that's no longer an option).

Exactly, we shouldn't have to deal with users who have been banned two or three times that are just leeches on the site.

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

150% agreed. This would cut down on SO much unnecessary drama. CV - make it happen!

To go to be able to go to some characters forums and not see thirty ridiculous threads by the same user would be amazing.

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Yes, Yes and Yes dude!

If we had this, I would love this site sooo much more.

Right? Sooo much better

#28 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

YESSSSSSS

#29 Posted by Saren (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@CitizenBane said:

Exactly, we shouldn't have to deal with users who have been banned two or three times that are just leeches on the site.

Two or three? Not gonna name names, but there are trolls who have been banned like 36 times and still find their way back here by hiding behind rules instated by people who don't know any better. It's depressing.

#30 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

@Blood1991 said:

@CitizenBane said:

Two or three? Not gonna name names, but there are trolls who have been banned like 36 times and still find their way back here by hiding behind rules instated by people who don't know any better. It's depressing.

Well I'm on a mission to do something about it. Even if it is completely in vain I would at least like to plant the idea.

#31 Posted by THUNDERBOLT30 (10510 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

To go to be able to go to some characters forums and not see thirty ridiculous threads by the same user would be amazing.

PREACH! I really hope the CV staff and all mods are looking at this thread.

#32 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

@Blood1991 said:

@THUNDERBOLT30 said:

PREACH! I really hope the CV staff and all mods are looking at this thread.

Mercy seems to support it. One down.

#33 Posted by space_coyote (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Even if the powers-that-be get behind the idea, do they have the capability to implement it.? What I mean by that is...and I'm sure I'm using the wrong phrase here...does the OS for the CV forums support that feature?

#34 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@space_coyote said:

@Blood1991: Even if the powers-that-be get behind the idea, do they have the capability to implement it.? What I mean by that is...and I'm sure I'm using the wrong phrase here...does the OS for the CV forums support that feature?

Good question. I suppose only the staff could anwser that.

#35 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever.

#36 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd block Lumey.

#37 Edited by Deadite (24060 posts) - - Show Bio

How about a Polled(Vote) Block feature? The block is an absolute block, but only effective on the thread the Poll was used.

I can go with your ideas either, but I have the poll idea so I just want to mention it anyway. Everyone who made a post in the thread will see the poll (except the user who's getting voted on, just because...)

Since it's a vote-to-block system, it's fairer, so I think we can maximize the effect of the block, that means we can't see their post whatsoever. Why this absolute? If you're aware someone's trolling and their post is targeting you, you'll still want to unblock the blocked post and read it, than block it again, so it's less useful to those that care they're being trolled at, and other users can see it while they can't.

To avoid troll-polls on this block feature: Unless over half the users on the thread made their votes, the vote doesn't count. That user cannot raise another poll in 24 hours.

#38 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

I'd block Lumey.

Nobody cares what you think. 
#39 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd just block all the trolls, like Mercy_ and ReVamp. Yep.

#40 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illuminatus
@Mercy_ said:

I'd block Lumey.

You do.
#41 Posted by Deadite (24060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

But they're the good guys... (Eyes watering)

#42 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:
@Illuminatus
@Mercy_ said:

I'd block Lumey.

You do.
Fine, yeah, I do. 'Cause I'm so infatuated with you, and stuff.
#43 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

Pfft. ReVamp is a tool. 

Now, Klandicar, there's a quality guy...
#44 Posted by Mercy_ (92708 posts) - - Show Bio

Lumey has officially gone insane.

#45 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mercy_ said:

Lumey has officially gone insane.

She said, while fawning over me. 
#46 Posted by Deadite (24060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

Pfft. ReVamp is a tool. Now, Klandicar, there's a quality guy...

lol. I have to go into your Walls to know you guys were goofing around. I clearly didn't know any inside jokes that's taking place.

#47 Edited by Deadite (24060 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, it's obvious NOW.

#48 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

lol. I have to go into your Walls to know you guys were goofing around. I clearly didn't know any inside jokes that's taking place.

Wait, what? You looked at our walls without our expressed permission? This ain't Russia, boy. You don't like it, you can ghiiiiiittt out.
#49 Edited by Deadite (24060 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

@Deadite said:

@Illuminatus said:

Wait, what? You looked at our walls without our expressed permission? This ain't Russia, boy. You don't like it, you can ghiiiiiittt out.

Handing in the binoculars...I'm just learning to....love...

#50 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you concur?