Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my opinion:

What do you think?

#1 Posted by danhimself (22215 posts) - - Show Bio

to a certain extent...the characters should act and behave like their comic counterparts and they should keep their back stories relatively the same...I understand that changes sometimes need to be made to make things work for the big screen....but other than that..I'd be ok if the movies decided to tell an original story....not everything needs to be a straight forward adaption....that being said...I would really love to see an X-men reboot and have the first film focus on the original 5 being recruited by Xavier and then fighting Magneto

Online
#2 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19499 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

to a certain extent...the characters should act and behave like their comic counterparts and they should keep their back stories relatively the same...I understand that changes sometimes need to be made to make things work for the big screen....but other than that..I'd be ok if the movies decided to tell an original story....not everything needs to be a straight forward adaption....that being said...I would really love to see an X-men reboot and have the first film focus on the original 5 being recruited by Xavier and then fighting Magneto

i agree except i like the xmen movies now and i wouldnt waste the continuty

#3 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

to a certain extent...the characters should act and behave like their comic counterparts and they should keep their back stories relatively the same...I understand that changes sometimes need to be made to make things work for the big screen....but other than that..I'd be ok if the movies decided to tell an original story....not everything needs to be a straight forward adaption....that being said...I would really love to see an X-men reboot and have the first film focus on the original 5 being recruited by Xavier and then fighting Magneto

Basically this (even though I love the cast of the original X-Men)

#4 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is the formula that works perfectly for me 3/4 original material 1/4 new material.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24456 posts) - - Show Bio

It should be faithful but not a carbon copy. If you want to make a big screen version of something like infinity gauntlet that's awesome but I don't need a page for page reproduction cause I've already seen that and if I'm going to spend the money on over priced movie tickets I want to see something I haven't seen before.

#6 Posted by Cap10nate (2121 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

It should be faithful but not a carbon copy. If you want to make a big screen version of something like infinity gauntlet that's awesome but I don't need a page for page reproduction cause I've already seen that and if I'm going to spend the money on over priced movie tickets I want to see something I haven't seen before.

This. I would rather see something new as opposed to a direct adaptation. As someone mentioned earlier, have the characters act as they do in the comics. Other than that, I don't care if they pick and choose from various story lines or create something completely fresh. I just want to see a good movie.

#7 Posted by xxxddd (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

It should keep the origin stories and powers the same as in comics, but the story itself should be brand new.

Comics and comic-book movies are different universes, anyway.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

It should keep the origin stories and powers the same as in comics, but the story itself should be brand new.

Comics and comic-book movies are different universes, anyway.

I definitely agree with this! I always look at movies and their comic book adaptations as being two completely different things. Like for example, even though this is more like an example from TV than a movie. Even though the X-Men in X-Men Evolution were teenagers and their origin stories were a bit different from the comics, I still enjoyed the series because the stories were pretty new and the writing was pretty good for the show.

#9 Posted by Pokeysteve (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it should stay as faithful as possible. A Justice League movie makes me nervous because of the cartoon. You wouldn't even know Superman and Wonder Woman have super speed watching that. They did away with Manhunter's Martian Vision.

They sort of did that with Avengers. Thor seemed way weaker than in his solo movie.

Stuff like that pisses me off. I'm sort of a purist.

#10 Posted by xxxddd (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: So you want the movies to line up exactly with comics?

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

It should be faithful but not a carbon copy. If you want to make a big screen version of something like infinity gauntlet that's awesome but I don't need a page for page reproduction cause I've already seen that and if I'm going to spend the money on over priced movie tickets I want to see something I haven't seen before.

I definitely agree with this! Even though I like it when a movie is faithful to the comic, having it be too similar to the comic in dialogue and situations will just make it a bit annoying since you already read the comic the movie was based off of and with movies, we do expect to see something different being done with the characters and situations as long as they understand the characters and the stories.

#12 Posted by Pokeysteve (7907 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

@Pokeysteve: So you want the movies to line up exactly with comics?

Depends. Spider-Man had his web shooters as a natural mutation and I liked that. And don't you think everyone would have enjoyed the 3rd one just a teensy bit more if they cast a 240 pound guy to play Eddie Brock? The stories themselves don't have to be spot on but like they're saying above, the characters should be. Race changes, hair and eye color changes, stuff like that really bugs me.

#13 Edited by lightsout (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so. But the reason all live-action adaptations (as, while not a copy, the animated stories stick closer to the original stories) will not just differ but greatly differ from the source material, is because of the writers/directors' "artistic integrity". If they can come up with original material they get more respect from their peers (compared to "copying" stories & dialogue already written by a comic book writer). The movies will always just been inspired by the comics, but not movies versions of the comics.

#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

I think so. But the reason all live-action adaptations (as, while not a copy, the animated stories stick closer to the original stories) will not just differ but greatly differ from the source material, is because of the writers/directors' "artistic integrity". If they can come up with original material they get more respect from their peers (compared to "copying" stories & dialogue already written by a comic book writer). The movies will always just been inspired by the comics, but not movies versions of the comics.

I find this happens a lot also. I understand the writers from the movies wanting to make a name for themselves, but what happens if the movie turns out bad? The fans will turn on the people who worked on the movie for not exactly getting the characters.

#15 Posted by lightsout (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@lightsout said:

I think so. But the reason all live-action adaptations (as, while not a copy, the animated stories stick closer to the original stories) will not just differ but greatly differ from the source material, is because of the writers/directors' "artistic integrity". If they can come up with original material they get more respect from their peers (compared to "copying" stories & dialogue already written by a comic book writer). The movies will always just been inspired by the comics, but not movies versions of the comics.

I find this happens a lot also. I understand the writers from the movies wanting to make a name for themselves, but what happens if the movie turns out bad? The fans will turn on the people who worked on the movie for not exactly getting the characters.

We all get screwed? lol. I'd say they wouldn't care, and are (for the most part,) only looking to draw in the casual-fan/new-fans. It's why fans "like us" get pissed/confused when the various animated shows get cancelled -- because we thought the shows were of such good quality -- because the majority of viewers (for TV) or dollars (for movies) come from "regular folk" (I have no numbers to back this up, just my gut, haha). Fans could hate an adaptation but it makes $$ so the creators don't care, or they could love it but everyone else just "doesn't get it" and so in the eyes of the people who made it - they made bad choices.

#16 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@lightsout said:

I think so. But the reason all live-action adaptations (as, while not a copy, the animated stories stick closer to the original stories) will not just differ but greatly differ from the source material, is because of the writers/directors' "artistic integrity". If they can come up with original material they get more respect from their peers (compared to "copying" stories & dialogue already written by a comic book writer). The movies will always just been inspired by the comics, but not movies versions of the comics.

I find this happens a lot also. I understand the writers from the movies wanting to make a name for themselves, but what happens if the movie turns out bad? The fans will turn on the people who worked on the movie for not exactly getting the characters.

We all get screwed? lol. I'd say they wouldn't care, and are (for the most part,) only looking to draw in the casual-fan/new-fans. It's why fans "like us" get pissed/confused when the various animated shows get cancelled -- because we thought the shows were of such good quality -- because the majority of viewers (for TV) or dollars (for movies) come from "regular folk" (I have no numbers to back this up, just my gut, haha). Fans could hate an adaptation but it makes $$ so the creators don't care, or they could love it but everyone else just "doesn't get it" and so in the eyes of the people who made it - they made bad choices.

I agree that it's always going to be about money rather than seeing what the fans think of the adaptations.

#17 Posted by chocobojam (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont mind movie adaptations to be a little off to their comic counterpart as long as it is still close enough.

Inaccuracy in comic to movie adaptation is always a good conversation topic between a comic reader to a non comic reader.

#18 Posted by RawrImADragon (206 posts) - - Show Bio

I say, as much as I wish it to sometimes not be the case, that movies have no obligation whatsoever to stay true to their source material. Once the creator or owner signs off, that's it. Creative control is not in their hands anymore. In many ways, I somewhat appreciate and enjoy this because if I like the characters being used, then why not see them in a new way, in a new plot that I've never seen before. Because, with comic book characters specifically, I've already read the comic and know the story so seeing it played out on a screen would be alright, but at the same time repetitive and unnecessary. I feel that every story has that one special way of being told and trying to duplicate that same experience in a new form of media is not only silly, but somewhat impossible. So instead of ruining a movie for the sake of sticking true to the source material, I say do whatever's best for that format so that in the end we get a good movie and everyone wins :)

#19 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Do what Dark Knight Rises did, take inspirations from the comics for your stories.

Knightfall and Dark Knight Returns, not the same, but simialr.

#20 Posted by Girth (1041 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind a few deviations, but too many makes it something completely different. An example would be X-men : First Class. The name of your movie is first class so why not use the first class.

#21 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

No. They just need to take the more compelling aspects of the characters. Essentially no successful comic movie over the last 16 years has been entirely truthful

Blade- very different from his original comic

Spider-Man- organic webshooters

Hawkeye- no more Carney origin or ridiculous costume. He is a Shield Agent now

Black Widow- no more wrist weapons

Batman- costume changes, more lenient on the no kill policy, batfamily is different etc.

Ironman- costumes change, his company no longer makes weapons, he's a terrible CEO

etc. etc. etc.

#22 Posted by Rick_Grayson (727 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that while I don't want to see an exact copy of an existing story, I DO want to see an exact copy of the characters and universes. For example if a writer doesn't think he can make a good enough Martian Manhunter film without changing the character or his power set, don't make the film because it's NOT a Martian Manhunter film.  
 
De-powering a character because you can't make his flight look good or you can't work out how to best use hi super speed is a cheap way to make an average story with a title that guarantees more attendance from the fans.

#23 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rick_Grayson said:

I think that while I don't want to see an exact copy of an existing story, I DO want to see an exact copy of the characters and universes. For example if a writer doesn't think he can make a good enough Martian Manhunter film without changing the character or his power set, don't make the film because it's NOT a Martian Manhunter film. De-powering a character because you can't make his flight look good or you can't work out how to best use hi super speed is a cheap way to make an average story with a title that guarantees more attendance from the fans.

I definitely agree that as long as the characters and the universe they live in is faithful to the comics, then that should be all that matters in a comic book movie

#24 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5768 posts) - - Show Bio

@Girth said:

I don't mind a few deviations, but too many makes it something completely different. An example would be X-men : First Class. The name of your movie is first class so why not use the first class.

I agree that having a few deviations would be good since I love seeing something different come out of the comics I usually read. However, in the case of Catwoman where the character was so different from the comics and the story line wasn't even something you would normally see in a superhero story line, it can be bad unless they have a really good idea about where to take the story.