• 51 results
#1 Posted by 3D_Dedrick (15 posts) - - Show Bio

I was recently talking to a comic book "friend" of mind and we had a pretty heated debate on the question.

i loved the cartoon version of batman in which he didn't use guns and he used every other trick in his arsenal to win

my "friend" on the other hand loves All Star Batman & Robin and everything Frank Miller he thinks if Batman doesn't have a gun then he is a pussy.

what do you think?

#2 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

A poll would have been nice.

I say no gun. It goes against Batman's core characterization. I've never read AS:B&R but I haven't heard good things about it. (Pretty much don't hear good things about FM, lol).

#3 Edited by Bierschneeman (4218 posts) - - Show Bio

Your friend like All Star Batman and Robin. dude debate over, his opinions don't matter.

#4 Posted by dngn4774 (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

Your friend like All Star Batman and Robin. dude debate over, his opinions don't matter.

This. Listening to your friends isn't needed if they don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation. Plus anyone who calls batman a pussy is an even bigger pussy.

#5 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

He likes All Star Batman and Robin. everything he says is invalid

#6 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5690 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774: well Batman is kind of a pussy because he started out with guns ala The Shadow and he killed too but he was pussified later on and adopted the dreaded " no kill" rule later, much to Jokers delight.

#7 Posted by New_World_Order (13516 posts) - - Show Bio

Well look how good he's done without one.

#8 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio

Somebody likes All Star Batman and Robin!? Why isn't this pinned to the news feed?

#9 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you need better friends. People who like All Star Batman and Robin are nothing but trouble.

#12 Posted by JetiiMitra (8874 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star had a gun? Did not know.

#13 Posted by krspaceT (1509 posts) - - Show Bio

You can get around this question easily. Flare Gun. Stun Gun. Dart Gun..

#14 Posted by Perethorn (3802 posts) - - Show Bio

It´s supossed that Batman promised to never use guns. He told that to Darkseid before been shot by the Omega Beams.

#15 Posted by War Killer (20293 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would he need a gun when he has the freakin' utility belt? That belt puts guns to shame. :P

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would he need a gun when he has the freakin' utility belt? That belt puts guns to shame. :P

"This is the weapon of the enemy. It is loud and clumsy."

#17 Edited by Dayvid3 (868 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8728 posts) - - Show Bio

@3d_dedrick: Welcome to Comic Vine! :)

And has your friend read anytjing else Batman related besides All-Star? Because ( no offence here) he doesn't sound like it...

#19 Posted by Night Thrasher (3709 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1316 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved that book, thought it was hilarious.

#21 Posted by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading this question reminds me how I want an ongoing of the Flashpoint Earth. Thomas Wayne Batman was cool.

#22 Posted by XImpossibruX (5263 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I mean wow. To make Batman have a gun, would be a complete 180 of his character.

Why not make Wonder Woman actually a dude, who just faked being an Amazon.

Even better Shazam gets his powers from Odin now.

no.

#23 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmannflash said:

I loved that book, thought it was hilarious.

"Are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Do you know who the hell I am? I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN!"

#24 Edited by Dayvid3 (868 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, I mean wow. To make Batman have a gun, would be a complete 180 of his character.

Why not make Wonder Woman actually a dude, who just faked being an Amazon.

Even better Shazam gets his powers from Odin now.

no.

Actually it would be a 360 since he started with a gun :)

#25 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

No, and your friend sounds like a moron if he believes lacking a gun renders someone a pussy since its actually the opposite since any pussy can fire a gun.

#26 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

All Star had a gun? Did not know.

this. I knew he had one in the Golden Age, but I never read all star so I had no idea he had a gun in that

No, and your friend sounds like a moron if he believes lacking a gun renders someone a pussy since its actually the opposite since any pussy can fire a gun.

word

#27 Posted by MrShway88 (679 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad for saying this but I liked All-Star Batman and Robin. I also don't think he should use a gun. Major changes like that should never be made to any character.

#29 Posted by RisingBean (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you except the whole anybody can fire a gun. Sure most can shoot helpless targets from a few feet away, but try taking out an enemy combatant from 100 meters and tell me how easy it is. Basically I took this as a slam for our armed forces and policemen. Real heroes who do use firearms.

#30 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18733 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

"This is the weapon of the enemy. It is loud and clumsy."

#31 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6506 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Batman and Robin...

dude you are clearly the superior one.

#32 Edited by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: It was not a slam just saying having a gun has nothing to do with whether or not someone is a pussy because anyone brave or coward can shoot one.

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (45689 posts) - - Show Bio

#34 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman with a gun is like, a Superman who kills innocent people.

#35 Edited by Bierschneeman (4218 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicbeast3000 said:

Batman with a gun is like, a Superman who kills innocent people.

Or a Batman that Kills cops, or a Batman that kidnaps little boys and locks them in his basement, especially with a boy hungry NAMBLA smile, or a Batman who gets physically abuscve towards Alfred, or a Batman who says "cool"

Man I can't seem to stop with the ASBR jokes

#36 Posted by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@bierschneeman: Batman physicaly abusive with Alfred, that made my day

#37 Edited by RustyRoy (14010 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would Batman use a gun when he has far more powerful weapons than a gun?

#38 Posted by God_Spawn (38381 posts) - - Show Bio

He has a grapple gun.

LOOPHOLE!!

#39 Edited by Bierschneeman (4218 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicbeast3000 said:

@bierschneeman: Batman physicaly abusive with Alfred, that made my day

Ohh it happened.... I can't make this stuff up.

Alfred was trying to tell Batman that kidnapping young boys and locking them in the basement wasn't a good idea, and Batman got angry and slammed him into a wall (plus the fact that Batman wanted this kid to feed on the rats in the basement cause "that was part of my training" which I don't believe for a second, but Alfred fed him a burger thus ruining this would be creepy dream of watching the boy hunt and eat a rat.)

#40 Edited by Epicbeast3000 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait Batman is a pedophile.

#41 Posted by BlackWind (7232 posts) - - Show Bio

Your friend obviously doesn't understand the character. And anyone who likes ASBAR is just obsessing over something a 13 year old would like.

#42 Posted by Bierschneeman (4218 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicbeast3000: toned my speech down, its just very.... suggestive towards that Idea. like VERY suggestive. I think this comic that inspired the Venture Bros episode about Captain Sunshine... that kind of creepy.

#43 Posted by markofkaine (84 posts) - - Show Bio

i think batman doesn't use guns because a guy with a gun killed his parents but that's just what I've heard

#44 Posted by RisingBean (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Anyone who is brave or a coward can also hammer nails, swing a baseball bat or run you down in a car. They are all tools used by the person using them. Somebody without a hammer is not one. Neither is somebody just for the sake of having a hammer. Same for the rest. At any rate, it's cleared up. Virtual handshake and the like. It's just not the first time I have heard the whole "Use a firearm and you lack skill, or are weak or morally evil or whatnot. And that line of thought is messed up as far as I am concerned.

At any rate, all is swell.

#45 Posted by joshmightbe (24764 posts) - - Show Bio

@risingbean: I never said using a gun makes someone a pussy I said it has no bearing on it because like I said anyone regardless of amount of courage can use a gun and any good soldier or cop will tell you that a gun doesn't make the man, its simply a tool. If a guy is a pussy he's gonna be a pussy no matter what he's holding where as a truly brave man can be just as brave with his bare hand or a pointy stick as he can with a machine gun.

#46 Posted by roboadmiral (553 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Batman should carry a gun. Not for any moral reason (I'm not a fan of the no-kill code) though. Evil-doers aren't supposed to view Batman as a person. The whole "cowardly and superstitious lot" thing. He's supposed to be a terrible, vicious creature of the night to them. Guns, however, are distinctly human. Flying bullets are readily comprehensible. There is a man. He is shooting at us.

An attack by Batman is something else entirely. It's more akin to being mauled by an animal than assaulted by a person.

#47 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6460 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#48 Posted by tupiaz (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

A poll would have been nice.

I say no gun. It goes against Batman's core characterization. I've never read AS:B&R but I haven't heard good things about it. (Pretty much don't hear good things about FM, lol).

That is because people have bad taste and only judge him for his new stuff. If it weren't for stories like FM did in the 80's probably wouldn't have stories like the those printed by Vertigo. FM was probably the man that changed the comics most not only in writing but in the art as well. The comic industry owns a huge thank you to FM people just lack the historical knowledge to understand that. To day people judge him on his personal views and his newest releases.

#49 Posted by RisingBean (4777 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Bingo. The way you originally worded it had me steamed. But your clarifications ensure us readers are picking up the point you are putting down. Thank you.

Also I consider myself reasonably brave but I'd prefer the machine gun to the pointy stick. Just sayin',

#50 Edited by russellmania77 (15845 posts) - - Show Bio

he would be OVER POWERD, last time he used a gun he beat superman's greatest enemy lmao lmao XD