Should "Arrow" (the series) be called "Green Arrow"?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Minor spoilers of recent Arrow season four-related news.

As we all know by now, Oliver will almost definitely be going by Green Arrow rather than The Arrow next season. Additionally, we should expect Starling City to be called Star City sometime soon.

The showrunners have justified their decisions to not call Oliver Green Arrow and to not call his city Star City by claiming that, at the show's beginning, Oliver is not yet the Green Arrow we all know and love from comics. The first three seasons (they'll have us believe) were Oliver's prelude to becoming Green Arrow and gradually stepping in that direction. And now season four will finally take that next step and start referring to Ollie by his comic book moniker.

But should the show's name change with Oliver?

I think it's safe to say that this won't be happening. At least not with this comic series, which has already started filming under the name "Arrow". So I'm speaking in hypotheticals here.

It's hardly a disputed fact that the first three seasons of Arrow have varied immensely in quality. Changing the show's name to Green Arrow would reflect the shift that is (supposedly) going to occur this next season. Additionally, it could help attract new viewers by rebranding it with Ollie as a fully-realized hero rather than someone on the road to becoming one.

On the negative side, Arrow does roll off the tongue a bit more easily than Green Arrow. And I imagine that there might be technical issues with changing the name of a show, such as the worry over losing some of the brand power behind the show which it has gained over the past three years.

In the end, it's not a huge deal what the name of the show is. But I, personally, feel that there was some missed opportunity in not renaming the show. Assuming that the showrunners are not exaggerating by claiming that season four will feel like an entirely new show, it could be an effective means of breathing new life (and viewership) into an existing show by reflecting such a huge change in the title.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No its too late to change the name they knew what they were doing when they were doing the Smallville esque route

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They aren't changing the name. What makes you say it will even become Star City?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if he becomes more like the comic version.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

@jayc1324 said:

They aren't changing the name. What makes you say it will even become Star City?

Stephen Amell said that's the new name.

Loading Video...

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

Minor spoilers of recent Arrow season four-related news.

As we all know by now, Oliver will almost definitely be going by Green Arrow rather than The Arrow next season. Additionally, we should expect Starling City to be called Star City sometime soon.

The showrunners have justified their decisions to not call Oliver Green Arrow and to not call his city Star City by claiming that, at the show's beginning, Oliver is not yet the Green Arrow we all know and love from comics. The first three seasons (they'll have us believe) were Oliver's prelude to becoming Green Arrow and gradually stepping in that direction. And now season four will finally take that next step and start referring to Ollie by his comic book moniker.

But should the show's name change with Oliver?

I think it's safe to say that this won't be happening. At least not with this comic series, which has already started filming under the name "Arrow". So I'm speaking in hypotheticals here.

It's hardly a disputed fact that the first three seasons of Arrow have varied immensely in quality. Changing the show's name to Green Arrow would reflect the shift that is (supposedly) going to occur this next season. Additionally, it could help attract new viewers by rebranding it with Ollie as a fully-realized hero rather than someone on the road to becoming one.

On the negative side, Arrow does roll off the tongue a bit more easily than Green Arrow. And I imagine that there might be technical issues with changing the name of a show, such as the worry over losing some of the brand power behind the show which it has gained over the past three years.

In the end, it's not a huge deal what the name of the show is. But I, personally, feel that there was some missed opportunity in not renaming the show. Assuming that the showrunners are not exaggerating by claiming that season four will feel like an entirely new show, it could be an effective means of breathing new life (and viewership) into an existing show by reflecting such a huge change in the title.

Honestly, this was always why I preferred just calling him Arrow even before the show started. Just sounds better, to me.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Meh.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No.
I like Arrow.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well It looks like he is going to be the Green Arrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Arrow is ok because now it´snt just his show but there is some major player like Black Canary, Speedy, Merlyn and maybe Arsenal. Maybe Team Arrow ?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Rouflex

Yes... There's already a Comic hero named Arrow that predated Green Arrow and the title of the show is silly in the matter that it lead to confusion... I mean if Arrow ever get a tv serie, how would we name it?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

nah

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deathstroke52
Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it would confuse viewers.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lettsplay10

Well It looks like he is going to be the Green Arrow.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:

Yeah Season 1 and 2 were really good.

Yeah. I even liked some things in season 3. But not a lot.

I started to drift off Season 3 when the whole love triangle nonsense started.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52 said:
@uugieboogie said:

I hate Olicity with a passion

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie said:
@deathstroke52 said:
@uugieboogie said:

I hate Olicity with a passion

Literally the dumbest thing they've done...