Should Aquaman Be As Strong As Thor, Magic Wise?

• 83 results
_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By _Mongul

Aquaman has always been is this weird zone between planet-level and country-level. He's not exactly one to match up with Superman, but he's above Spiderman. Not too many fall under this category, and I think it makes him difficult to find match-ups for.

So, I've always wondered if Aquaman should be morr magic oriented. That Trident of his should have some nasty magic backing it, besides lightning bolts. Aquaman with a lot of magic versatility would be really cool.

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WeAreMany

no

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. Then again I disagree with "He's not exactly one to match up with Superman". Aquaman can match Supermans strength and invulnerability. At first I thought like you, and pegged Aquaman as a joke, but after reading his New 52 series it really shed some light on his abilities. Aquaman can very much hurt Superman with a punch, or his trident's magic. Aquaman is an A tier much like Superman when it comes to comparing him to other heroes powers and abilities. So no he doesn't need the Magic boost.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: I really don't think he's a joke. Even with his New 52 feats, Aquaman is nowhere near Superman's strength. Punching Superman doesn't put him on his level.

His lightning from his Trident is about the only thing keeping him close to A-Tier.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@_mongul said:

@ariesxmasters: I really don't think he's a joke. Even with his New 52 feats, Aquaman is nowhere near Superman's strength. Punching Superman doesn't put him on his level.

His lightning from his Trident is about the only thing keeping him close to A-Tier.

Aquaman is on Superman's level. Not strength wise, but he's still in the ballpark. Durability wise, they're very similar.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Aquaman can benchpress the weight of the Earth continually for days on end while deprived of water?

Wow, when did he showcase such strength? I thought his best feat was lifting a Yacht?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EyeDCyou

@_mongul said:

@eyedcyou: Aquaman can benchpress the weight of the Earth continually for days on end while deprived of water?

Wow, when did he showcase such strength? I thought his best feat was lifting a Yacht?

Didn't I just say he wasn't at his level strength wise? I said he was in the ballpark...

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Lol that's not even remotely close to ballpark though.

"ballpark" would suggest they are at least sort of close.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@eyedcyou: Lol that's not even remotely close to ballpark though.

"ballpark" would suggest they are at least sort of close.

Well he is in the ballpark... so there's that... If they weren't decently close, Aquaman would break his hand when punching Superman.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@_mongul said:

@ariesxmasters: I really don't think he's a joke. Even with his New 52 feats, Aquaman is nowhere near Superman'sstrength. Punching Superman doesn't put him on his level.

Aquaman is on Superman's level. Not strength wise, but he's still in the ballpark. Durability wise, they're very similar.

Him saying "Aquaman is nowhere near Superman'sstrength" alone shows he knows nothing about Aquaman as a character, ad least the New 52 Aquaman which is the most up to date one. You my friend are just making uneducated guesses. You probably are just assuming which is what most people on here do anyway.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Durability does not correlate to strength.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: Can you show me Aquaman benchpressing the weight of the Earth continually for days on end?

Hm?

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: Nope, he's wrong.

Lifting a yacht is nowhere close to benchpressing a planet hundreds of times.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

Are you assuming that lifting a yacht is the only feat Aquaman has?

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By _Mongul

@eyedcyou: Go ahead and give me some others showcasing this plantery strength (Lol) he has.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

@_mongul said:

Are you assuming that lifting a yacht is the only feat Aquaman has?

That word is precisely what he is doing, man. I wonder if he knows anything about Aquaman other then maybe what he read on Wikipedia. Aquaman has never had a instance in the New 52 where he has had to for any reason bench press the weight of earth. I read both Superman and Aquaman, so I know what part in Superman New 52 you are referring to. Actually you know what, Hows about this, what Aquaman New 52 stuff have you read?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman is nowhere near planet level......and he's nowhere close to Superman in anything be it strength, speed, durability or power in general. His magic certainly gives him a boost, and he does have the ability to possibly defeat Superman (if he still has his TP), but generally Superman would decimate him.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By _Mongul

@ariesxmasters: I read Aquaman issues #1 until #16. I dropped it because it was too expensive and I just wanted to read Batman.

Superman has bench pressed the planet continually for days on end. I'm asking for some scans/feats of Aquaman doing anything remotely CLOSE to that. I already know he hasn't, but go ahead and try to prove me wrong.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: Exactly, I have no clue what these guys are talking about comparing him to Supes in stats.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@eyedcyou: Go ahead and give me some others showcasing this plantery strength (Lol) he has.

I. DIDN'T. SAY. HE. WAS. PLANETARY. WHY ARE YOU FISHING SO HARD ON THIS? Do you think because Wonder Woman hasn't "benched" the weight of the world that she isn't a match for Superman? Because you'd be extremely wrong. Aquaman's strength is very close to Diana's, so just deal with it. If you think Superman's durability is much higher than Aquaman's, than you have no idea how wrong you are, and there is no use arguing with you.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@ariesxmasters: I read Aquaman issues #1 until #16. I dropped it because it was too expensive and I just wanted to read Batman.

Superman has bench pressed the planet continually for days on end. I'm asking for some scans/feats of Aquaman doing anything remotely CLOSE to that. I already know he hasn't, but go ahead and try to prove me wrong.

I have, and read them all. As i stated before their is no instance where he has to do anything like that. Aquaman comics, are not like Superman comics. Aquaman comics don't have him do pointless stuff like that, because it adds nothing to the story at all, and pretty much is filler. You know what else is funny? Superman can bench earth repeatedly, but cannot break out of Wonder woman's lasso of truth, or break out of something kryptonians use to ship things. The Superman comics are the worst when it comes to consistency, take it from me I own them all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Aquaman is not on Superman's level an there is nothing wrong with that. In fact it's a good thing. Aquaman is just fine the way he is. He doesn't need more.

If they did decide to give him something extra maybe give the trident some ability.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackWind

No. I just answered a question like this on CBR.

Aquaman is just fine at the level he is at. More than fine. Aquaman is in that very rare territory where he is a powerful character who most would not want to confront, without being just another one in the box of being OP.

He doesn't need to be buffed to levels he doesn't need to be at to do what he does.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: So unless you can give me scans or feats, Aquaman is not Superman level.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@ariesxmasters: So unless you can give me scans or feats, Aquaman is not Superman level.

I don't have any, and do you know why? because they don't exist. As i stated a head showing stuff like that is what we call filler, because what did it add to the story? Ohh wait. . . nothing. So no you won't find any picture like that of Aquaman lifting random stuff, and for no reason either. So I guess Superman is much stronger then Darkseid, Thanos, Hulk, Thor, Zeus, Loki, Odin, Hercules, Juggernaut and other Power houses like them since I can't find no scans on them either.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Arthur is fine the way he is. He could still give Clark some trouble even with the stats disadvantage

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Arthur is fine the way he is. He could still give Clark some trouble even with the stats disadvantage

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I find it hilarious that people are so adamant that Aquaman is in the same ballpark but simply can't prove it cause he has never been shown to be same level as Superman

if he hasn't been show at that power level, then you can't really say he's that power level

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: What they mean by that is while he may have nowhere near that strength, it is a good comparison.

Out of these people, who would aqua man at least be around: Darkseid, Batman, Spider-man, or Superman.

Superman easily. It is just something fans say to explain one's strength. For example: superman is a high tier (strength wise) and so is Aquaman. Doesn't mean they are the same level.

Honestly, I think people derailed the point of the thread over a silly "comparison" (which it wasn't really).

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

@eyedcyou: Superman NEVER got cut by an AK bullet. He's nowhere near Supes in strength or durability.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01: out of those people he fits pretty nicely between spider-man and superman

sure if you have to compare him, I guess you could go with supes, but he has feats that aquaman just can't do, and spiderman might be better, just a lot stronger

I don't even know if Arthur's reaction/speed feats are as good as spidey, but strength and durability would be well above

really he's in his own class between them since that's such a huge power level jump

thing150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou: @ariesxmasters: i saw you guys saying that durabilty wise aquaman is in the same ballpark as supes.......................im a huge aquaman fan but he is not, he has been cut by bullets and has been dangerously injured from a small explosion ....................he is also very strong but he does not have the feats to compete with superman lvl strength

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@aquaman01: out of those people he fits pretty nicely between spider-man and superman

sure if you have to compare him, I guess you could go with supes, but he has feats that aquaman just can't do, and spiderman might be better, just a lot stronger

I don't even know if Arthur's reaction/speed feats are as good as spidey, but strength and durability would be well above

really he's in his own class between them since that's such a huge power level jump

Nah, he is nowhere close to Spidey. Assuming spider can lift 25 tons (he did a couple times, although he is back to normal 10 or 15). Aquaman is can at least lift 100,000 tons. That means he at least 4000 times stronger than spider man. Saying a lot stronger is an understatement. Basically, batman has more of a chance of beating up Spiderman as Spiderman is about 160 times stronger than Batman (isn't there a scan of Batman lifting 2000 pounds?).

Other than strength, I know that pre-52 Aquaman had around Spidey's speed or if not more on land, though as we are talking about new 52 no one can really say (or I can't lol). I guess you can say he has his own class, but it is simpler to say he is in super mans. I think if you can punch superman without your hand breaking and causing him to lose some blood, you are in their "league".

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01: yeah but superman has been seen lifting 5.972 sextillion metric tons, which is much much more than 100 000 tons

so spiderman seems to have a better chance at beating aquaman than aquaman beating superman

for reference wikipedia has 2 versions of sextillion (long and short scale) so 1 sextillion is a 1 followed by either 21 or 36 0's

and a metric ton is 1.10231 tons

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: it happened. He also got ran through by his scepter in Aquaman and The Others as well, he's had his skin pierced by the Trench as well iirc. Arthur's a bad mofo but he ain't on Supes level at all and that's the truth, he's fine in the lane he's in.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ariesxmasters

@thing150 said:

@eyedcyou: @ariesxmasters: i saw you guys saying that durabilty wise aquaman is in the same ballpark as supes.......................im a huge aquaman fan but he is not, he has been cut by bullets and has been dangerously injured from a small explosion ....................he is also very strong but he does not have the feats to compete with superman lvl strength

I like Aquaman, and after I read his New 52 stuff it really changed my mind about him. I think Superman is alright, I mean instead of "Comicvine" this site should be called "Kiss Superman's A$$". Everyone on here is a Superman fanboy, for no reason either, his comics aren't any good, the character is really stale,he's boring and uninteresting, as a super hero he is pretty flat, and is a one trick guy. I remember Aquaman he had a tiny bit of blood from a bullet in Aquaman #1. I mean Superman has gotten cut, and hurt by things that don't seem like they should hurt him too. Superman strength varies a lot, and he is shown to lift the weight of the earth but can't break a Lasso, and a container used to ship things on krypton would be able to hold him, despite him "benching" the earth's weight.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mrnoital

@thing150 said:

I like Aquaman, and after I read his New 52 stuff it really changed my mind about him. I think Superman is alright, I mean instead of "Comicvine" this site should be called "Kiss Superman's A$$". Everyone on here is a Superman fanboy, for no reason either, his comics aren't any good, the character is really stale,he's boring and uninteresting, as a super hero he is pretty flat, and is a one trick guy. I remember Aquaman he had a tiny bit of blood from a bullet in Aquaman #1. I mean Superman has gotten cut, and hurt by things that don't seem like they should hurt him too.

you got so flustered by the fact that you can't prove aquaman is the same level as superman you just resort to insulting comic books, characters, this site and everyone on it?

No Caption Provided

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Insults? If that is what you want to call it. There facts though. As for me proving it with a scan? Like I said above, I can't Aquaman doesn't randomly bench earth's weight, I'm sorry his writer's just don't put pointless stuff like that in his comic.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ariesxmasters: Then if you can't prove it, it's fan-fiction in your own mind and non-canon.

That's how this works. You either get feats or you don't, tough beans.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Arthur is in clark's league, overall power level, and yeah for him to draw blood from him outside of water is enough.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By aquaman01

@mrnoital said:

@aquaman01: yeah but superman has been seen lifting 5.972 sextillion metric tons, which is much much more than 100 000 tons

so spiderman seems to have a better chance at beating aquaman than aquaman beating superman

for reference wikipedia has 2 versions of sextillion (long and short scale) so 1 sextillion is a 1 followed by either 21 or 36 0's

and a metric ton is 1.10231 tons

No Caption Provided

I literally walked right into that lol

Ah well, I guess your right :) Hey, I am up for Aquaman having his own zone. Rather have it named for AQ than Namor ;)

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquaman01: Aquaman is in that perfect zone between OP-boring-powerhouse and Metahuman.

He's at the perfect level, now that I think about it.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mrnoital

@aquaman01: thank you sir

and as for having the zone named for AQ rather than Namor

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ScouterV

I would argue that Aquaman is probably tied with Wonder Woman in terms of strength, but honestly the closest person to Superman in strength is probably Shazam and by default Black Adam. Hell, he's the one that went against Thor at one point.

I would say that Aquaman is in a League alongside Diana. It's probably a wide gap between that level of power and the likes of Superman, Shazam, Thor, Sentry, etc., but it'll be a cold day in Hell (or a Batman storyline,) before they get taken down by a street-leveler at the low or even high-end of the spectrum.

Off the top of my head, I'd say this particular field contains the likes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Iron Man (possibly, depending on the armor,) Karate Kid, Iron Fist, etc. I'm not well-versed on Marvel though, so maybe Iron Fist is more a high-street level.

With that said, I believe Aquaman has fallback in his magic linage. The Water Hand and maybe with more insight, The Trident could likely put him in the same League as Shazam and Thor. Possibly.