Shazam!!...is not Captain Marvel's name

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Onemoreposter

I am sad that Captain Marvel isn't going to be Captain marvel anymore. Play those violins for me.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Onemoreposter: actually it has officially been that since 2006
Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Onemoreposter

@spiderbat87: Yeah, but that was Freddy. (though I hated the whole trials thing anyways).

Plus in the majority of Shazam stuff that's been released since Infinite Crisis like Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil, First Thunder, the Young Justice television show, the Batman Brave and the Bold television show, DC Universe online, and DCU vs Mortal Kombat Billy Batson has had his classic look and gone by the name Captain Marvel.

So yeah, the fact that they're insisting on sticking with this pointless name change in the comics bums me out.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I like Shazam better, it doesn't get him mixed up with certain other competitor's characters with similar names.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Onemoreposter said:

@spiderbat87: Yeah, but that was Freddy. (though I hated the whole trials thing anyways).

Plus in the majority of Shazam stuff that's been released since Infinite Crisis like Billy Batson and the Magic of Shazam, Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil, First Thunder, the Young Justice television show, the Batman Brave and the Bold television show, DC Universe online, and DCU vs Mortal Kombat Billy Batson has had his classic look and gone by the name Captain Marvel.

So yeah, the fact that they're insisting on sticking with this pointless name change in the comics bums me out.

well they ether had to stop using the character all together, not advertise the character or just change his name and they went with the only option that makes sense
Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onemoreposter

@spiderbat87: Why though? I don't see why they couldn't keep putting Shazam on the cover and using Captain Marvel inside. He predates the Marvel company. They should change their name.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Onemoreposter said:

@spiderbat87: Why though? I don't see why they couldn't keep putting Shazam on the cover and using Captain Marvel inside. He predates the Marvel company. They should change their name.

Because you still cant advertise the actual character only the term Shazam so why not change it? That was never going to happen, Marvel had the rights to the name DC never.
Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kallarkz

I enjoy the name Shazam much more as well.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I'm not too bothered about the change. I'm surprised it came this late. They should just keep the Shazam the wizard, just, The Wizard.

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By tonis

I'm ok with the name adjustment, hell I've been calling him that since I was a kid.

As for the cowl and being gay though, there's nothing DC is gonna be able to do to convince me that was necessary or a good move. Of all the DC52 changes this one irks me the most.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemoreposter

@tonis: ...I forgot about that too... *sigh*

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By feargalr

Shazam makes way way more sense for DC... from a marketing POV and what not

@tonis: Billy Batson is gay now? I do like the cowl/hood thing he's got going on... seems more... magic-ish

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

Wait, he's gay now??

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tonis

@feargalr: @Gambit1024: not totally sure on the gay thing, could be just a rumor but I did come across a couple of threads on here discussing it. Here's the last one I saw.

I'm not a fan of the cowl cause he has an iconic heroic face and certainly has no need to hide it given his transformation. Cowls are cool on some characters, and it does give him a little look of magic but it just seems completely unnecessary for him.

Where they REALLY get Captain Marvel is in Young Justice, there they portray him absolutely perfect and I hope I can at least get a decent Shazam character from there. :)

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Kallarkz said:

I enjoy the name Shazam much more as well.

Yeah and legally it made allot more sense

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
@tonis

I'm ok with the name adjustment, hell I've been calling him that since I was a kid.

As for the cowl and being gay though, there's nothing DC is gonna be able to do to convince me that was necessary or a good move. Of all the DC52 changes this one irks me the most.

WTF? Gay ? Damn , Damn, DAMN!!( Florida Evans voice ).
I always called him Shazam when I was young but I learned to call him Capt. Marvel and it's stuck with me.
tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tonis

@WaveMotionCannon said:

@tonis

WTF? Gay ? Damn , Damn, DAMN!!( Florida Evans voice ). I always called him Shazam when I was young but I learned to call him Capt. Marvel and it's stuck with me.

Shazam does seem to be more kid friendly, and I called him that when I was really young. As a teen though when I started collecting comics I did begin to differentiate between Captain Marvel and Captain Mar-Vell and understood Shazam was the wizard.

It's a shame there's no more wizard.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CODYSF

I like the Captain Marvel name better.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Supreme Marvel said:

I'm not too bothered about the change. I'm surprised it came this late. They should just keep the Shazam the wizard, just, The Wizard.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@tonis said:

@feargalr: @Gambit1024: not totally sure on the gay thing, could be just a rumor but I did come across a couple of threads on here discussing it. Here's the last one I saw.

I'm not a fan of the cowl cause he has an iconic heroic face and certainly has no need to hide it given his transformation. Cowls are cool on some characters, and it does give him a little look of magic but it just seems completely unnecessary for him.

Where they REALLY get Captain Marvel is in Young Justice, there they portray him absolutely perfect and I hope I can at least get a decent Shazam character from there. :)

Lol the gay thing was just some guy trolling here and on the DC message boards 
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gambit1024

@spiderbat87 said:

@tonis said:

Yeah, I was gonna say...

tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tonis

@spiderbat87 said:

@tonis said:

thank God, I was hoping it was just a rumor. :)

Pistolwhip1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pistolwhip1

I think the name Shazam is better known then Captain Marvel, for those who aren't into comics. 
Take this for example. Was wearing a Flash shirt, and some guy was like " Oh it's Shazam" wrong on both accounts, but you get my point. 

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By RainEffect

Would someone like to clarify for me...

Who invented Captain Marvel first? Was it DC giving Marvel the middle-finger or was it an original property of Marvel?

batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By batmanary

@RainEffect said:

Would someone like to clarify for me... Who invented Captain Marvel first? Was it DC giving Marvel the middle-finger or was it an original property of Marvel?

It was created by Fawcett Comics in 1940, before Marvel Comics came into being (it was called Timely back then.) DC sued, Fawcett just gave up after 13 years, and eventually sold the character to DC. They started a title in 1975 or so, but by then, Marvel was in being, so they had to call it Shazam!.

I wonder why they don't just call him Captain Thunder, though? It would reduce confusion and make sense for the character...

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I share your sentiments. I don't really care for Shazam as a replacement for Captain Marvel. I also never really liked that the wizard was named Shazam, it's seemed off putting for someone who was so integral to the D.C. magical universe.

Shazam is a great magic word that a boy would choose to transform into Captain Marvel, not such a great moniker. But it's far from a deal-breaker for me.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ARMIV2

@tonis said:

Yeah, those changes just seem kinda... unnecessary.

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By RainEffect
@batmanary: Whoah! I totally was unaware he was that old. Thanks for clearing that up.
batmanary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By batmanary

@RainEffect said:

@batmanary: Whoah! I totally was unaware he was that old. Thanks for clearing that up.

He was actually the most popular superhero in the 1940s!

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CrimsonCake

No matter what you say you'll never clear people up of their misconceptions.Just like aquaman,No matter how much you proof he's cool the notion that aquaman talks to fish and is useless will always stay forever.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kidchipotle

I prefer the name Captain Marvel but the change is necessary, so I'm not complaining. The only thing I question is how Young Justice is allowed to use the name Captain Marvel but not the comics..

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By feargalr

@spiderbat87: Ya I was googling that and those threads were the only thing that turned up... though maybe its some homophobic DC insider lol.... we'll just have to wait and see

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By mavfan626

SHAZAM FTW!