#1 Posted by Renny (585 posts) - - Show Bio

I can only think of two characters that both.....look the part, and kick a$$ in all of comicdom. Is it just me? If you can name some more characters worth reading and following be my guest.......

#2 Posted by Icarusflies (12744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Renny: Animal Man

Swamp Thing

Batwoman

Aquaman

Batwing

Moderator
#3 Posted by Vance Astro (89265 posts) - - Show Bio

1.Daredevil (just started a new volume. Waid is going to add some new villains and so far his DD is alot different from that of Brubaker,Bendis,& Miller) 
2.Animal Man (The new series is a bit more serious and definitely a step up from the original so far) 
3.Amazing Spider-Man (After One More Day this book have never been better..ever) 
4.Batwing (possibly the most interesting character in the Bat-Family,the art on the book is really good, there's alot of action and a good story) 
5.Megaman (Something really different from the same old superhero related books)

Moderator
#4 Posted by MagneticShockwave (1373 posts) - - Show Bio

You can't really have anymore originality to characters when all of them were already in the making within the time span of 80 years. The most original between the span of 10 years is the character Shithead by TopCow.

#5 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1350 posts) - - Show Bio

Plenty of creativity. You just have to know where to look.

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30160 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renny: Webcomic powers activate! 
 
Read...Dr.McNinja(it's very superheroish, although it often parodies the funnier things in comics, but it's a loving kind of parody.)
#7 Posted by Queso6p4 (1543 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwing (seconded)

Batwoman (seconded)

X-23 (pre-Future Foundation story arc)

Shinku

Carbon Grey (the three sisters have an interesting relationship)

The Goon (hilarious and has good art)

#8 Posted by Grim (2183 posts) - - Show Bio

@MagneticShockwave said:

You can't really have anymore originality to characters when all of them were already in the making within the time span of 80 years. The most original between the span of 10 years is the character Shithead by TopCow.

nah, he was just a vulgar Clay Face. Id say the twins (or i guess i should say triplets now) from Irredeemable are the most original.

#9 Posted by RainEffect (3376 posts) - - Show Bio

You seriously need to check out Fraction's Iron Man. The only comic that has the balls to have its title man fight the biggest enemy of his career: alcoholism. His enemies are manipulating the mass media and portraying Stark as a drinker again, which does NOT bode well, after the events of Fear Itself.

#10 Edited by The_Bride_Of_Nine_Spiders (12 posts) - - Show Bio

loads of it under the IDW, Dynamite, and Image/Top Cow banner actually. I give DC decent props as well, and Marvels real stuff, though not limited to is in it's odd mini's.

Also the books put out by Avatar, Zenescope and Antarctic Press, and Lenore, Lady Death, The Tick, and Critter. If your reading the usual brand of stuff then your bound to get the usual brand and therefore bored with it, even when it's quality is good. It's a good idea I find to have as diverse a mix of books in the pull list as possible, and as time goes read only what your enjoying as a primary goal of the hobby. Best way to find what's unique, read what looks new to you and experiment a bit.

@Vance Astro said:

1.Daredevil (just started a new volume. Waid is going to add some new villains and so far his DD is alot different from that of Brubaker,Bendis,& Miller) 2.Animal Man (The new series is a bit more serious and definitely a step up from the original so far) 3.Amazing Spider-Man (After One More Day this book have never been better..ever) 5.Megaman (Something really different from the same old superhero related books)

I don't read Batwing so omitted, but I support all of this, especially Mega Man.

Batwoman is third voted by me as well, heavily. That book is a masterpiece in every sense of the word.

#11 Posted by Jnr6Lil (8186 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't see much creativity when Scott and Wolvy are fighting AGAIN

#12 Posted by Alton (155 posts) - - Show Bio

None of the true creativity is happening in comics at DC/Marvel the readers won't allow it.All they want are the same stories over and over again.Read small press non superhero titles to get the best with a light sprinkling of small press superhero titles thrown in.I mean for the luva god Superman Beyond and Justice League Beyond!! Give me a break.

#13 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6484 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil said:

Don't see much creativity when Scott and Wolvy are fighting AGAIN

Exactly! Those two have been fighting each other for years now. Also, didn't the X-Men split up before?

#14 Posted by fred9101 (144 posts) - - Show Bio

It's true that the same themes recur frequently in DC and Marvel. But after 50-80 years, on what subjects they can write well to make it new and interesting? If you were the authors, what topics would you cover?

#15 Posted by Jnr6Lil (8186 posts) - - Show Bio

@fred9101 said:

It's true that the same themes recur frequently in DC and Marvel. But after 50-80 years, on what subjects they can write well to make it new and interesting? If you were the authors, what topics would you cover?

There's alot new ideas they can come up with that they haven't used before