Sequels vs. Prequels

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LightBright

Since there are more and more movie adaptations of comic books coming out there's a slew of storylines and characters that may very well get a chance to shine. But what's the best way to really expose characters to a potential new fanbase? Prequels like X-Men Origins: Wolverine flopped, whereas sequels like Dark Night and Iron Man 2 made a killing. 
Are basic origin stories the best way to start? Batman Begins = Good; Spider-Man = Shoddy Attempt 
Or are sequels the best way to introduce new ideas and characters? Black Widow made a debut, as did Silver Surfer, Joker, Two Face, etc.  

So which is better?

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I think sequels is the way to go if you are trying to establish a continuity 
even if it's just for the sake of adding more characters 
the thing I think that needs to happen, is the initial film of a series or trilogy is always SO steeped in the origin part 
I imagine that's why movies about superhero teams rarely get made 
I think they could focus less on introducing characters and more on having the characters intereact and develop into whoever they are naturally 
without having to hold the viewer's hand the whole way
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

Going back or foward only have sense if the character have a place to go.  
The onyl reason to make prequels is like Star Wars to explain, where a character came and why he become what he is. 
But Sequels teach you, here he go and what he become. 
Then Sequels are better if you wish to show what the character is becoming and prequels to know where it was coming.

IcePrince_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IcePrince_X

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not a flop. It did not earn the likes of Dark Knight and Iron Man 2 but it earned. 
I don't know what is your basis of saying its a flop? Storyline? Characterization? or Just its plain gross/net earning? 

As to the thread: I find prequels intriguing but sequels give more time to flesh out the story and characters. I have yet to see another prequel that can surpass Starwars.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Martian
@IcePrince_X: X-Men Origins: Wolverine wasn't a flop, but it still sucked.
ofaaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ofaaron

If you start with an origin story, theres nowhere else to go.

X-Men has a lot of possible back stories, because mutants don't have origins in the same way as typical Super Heroes. But Spider-Man? Nothing else before he's bitten that is worth talking about.

I just wish they would stop focusing on origins. In most cases we don't need them, and we certainly don't need them in reboots. Batman Begins is the main exception, since the reboot was almost entirely about how they dealt with his origin story. But this new Spider-Man? I really hope there isn't an origin story. It was one of the best decisions the newer Hulk made.

Tormenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Tormenta

sequels!