Seeking new titles to read

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eric8a92

Today, on my visit to my comic shop, I realized my pull for the week was smaller than usual. I've dropped some titles recently, but haven't replaced them with anything new, just continue to read those which I haven't dropped. But as I've been seeing people talk about how great indie titles are, it's making me want to give some indie titles a shot.

I found out today that Dr. Who has a comic series that IDW publishes. I've been wanting to see the show, it attracts me mainly because the guy wears a bow tie (I know right?). But when I look through the titles on the racks, I pretty much skip through the indie titles because I know nothing about them. Today, I picked some up, flipped through them, and while they did look interesting, I didn't buy them because I wanted to get a little more info on what the stories are all about. I'm not bored with my current titles, I think I'll always love superhero titles. But since I picked up Uber from Avatar Press which I immediately fell in love with, I've been wondering if there's other titles which will give me the same effect Uber did upon reading it.

So fellow viners, can you recommend any titles that I should check out? If anybody reads Dr. Who, let me know how it is.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

TMNT from IDW

Saga from Image

Invincible from Image

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Some of my favorite indie books out right now

• TMNT
  • Sex Criminals
  • East of West
  • The Walking Dead
  • Saga
2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My favorite indie books are from Valiant so just pick anything up from them, preferably from issue 1. It's all excellent stuff.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My favorite indie books are from Valiant so just pick anything up from them, preferably from issue 1. It's all excellent stuff.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I second TMNT and Saga and add Manhattan Projects and Rocket Girl. The last is only 2 issues in so far.

Aeron_Glyndwr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aeron_Glyndwr

Lazarus from Image is amazing

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Lazarus from Image is amazing

Some of my favorite indie books out right now

• East of West
  • The Walking Dead
  • Saga

All 4 of these are outstanding. You can catch up on Saga, East of West and Lazarus with a couple of trades. I would add Unity, Harbinger & X-O Manowar from Valiant

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's Lazarus about?

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I like Vampirella from Dynamite, X-O Manowar from Valiant, Dr. Solar from Darkhorse, & Spawn, Walking Dead, & Invincible from Image

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

East of West and Next Testament have been interesting so far. I'm looking forward to Terminal Hero and Rover Red Charlie when they come out too.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eric8a92 said:

I do currently read TMNT (awesome stuff) and The Walking Dead.

@sagejonathan yeah, I should have also put something that's not too far in for me to start reading. I don't want to start reading something at issue #20 (I want to start reading Catwoman, but the fact that its many issues in deters me from doing so).

I'll surely check out what Valiant has to offer for sure.

Sex Criminals is only 3 issues in and has been a pretty fun read so far

Saga may be 15 issues in but it is highly worth getting caught up on...it's by far one of the best books out right now

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@eric8a92: If you are looking at titles that launched recently from Valiant here are some of them, but I suggest you just pick up what you like rather than just picking up something that launched recently out of obligation.

• Quantum & Woody (A genuinely hilarious, fun and heartfelt book; it's a personal favorite and it is on issue 5)
  • Eternal Warrior (A very interesting and cool character; haven't read it but it looks great and it's on issue 4)
  • Unity (If you intend on jumping into this I HIGHLY recommend you read X-O Manowar from issue 1 first; you should do it regardless considering it is one of the best books on the shelves period, but to really enjoy this book you would need to have read it. The book briefly explains the situation, but it's not enough imo. The first issue was just released and I predict this to be like the Avengers or Justice League of the Valiant universe, just a lot different. I think it's good.)
Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: From the little descriptions I've read on Sex Criminals from the Image website, it doesn't catch my interest.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

@eric8a92 said:

@danhimself: From the little descriptions I've read on Sex Criminals from the Image website, it doesn't catch my interest.

it's one of those books where I can completely understand that it's definitely not for everyone

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

I myself am very hesitant about starting indie titles, the only ones I read are ones that I have prior knowledge of (aka, characters or authors I like, or continuations of tv shows/movies) currently, the indies that I read are:

-TMNT: Because I like the characters

-Buffy season 10: Because I loved the show

-Angel & Faith: Same as for Buffy

-The Walking Dead: The show actually got me curious on the comic

-Army of Darkness: LOVE the films

-American Vampire: Love Scott Snyder

-Fables (only in trade) a very interesting and unique comic

and I'm currently getting caught up on Brian Wood's "Conan the Barbarian" series, just cause

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I always hear good things about American Vampire.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@eric8a92: I believe all the trades are out while Snyder takes a brief break on the series, so it's pretty easy to get caught up right now.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody hear read Dr. Who?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

What kind of stories do you like?
BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

If you are that in in superhero action then I can recommend to you Invincible.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dud317

68: it's a zombie story set in Vietnam. There are are 3 or 4 arcs out, but each is only 4 issues and are separate stories. There are also 3 or 4 one-shots. The writers use factual locations, booby traps, etc which they explain in the end of each issue.

Saga: Romeo and Juliet meets sci-fi with humor. The first trade is only $10 and covers the first six issues. Very fun.

Letter 44: just started by ONI press. Written by Soule, who does Red Lanterns and Superman / Wonder Woman. It's about the secretive letter from the 43rd president to the 44th that states we are exploring some unknown activity in space. Issue 2 comes out this week and a reprint of issue 1 (which was only $1) comes out this week as well.

Ten Grand: only 5 issues in out of a 12 issue series. About a guy who died but makes a deal to be righteous and help others to come back to life. The kicker is that his girlfriend died too, so if he dies in a worthy enough cause, he can spend five minutes with her. Art has been fantastic, but they just changed artists and some people prefer the former.

Sidekick: issue 4 come out this week. About a sidekick who spirals into depression after the hero dies.

X-files: if you enjoyed the show, you'll love the comic. It's also only 4 issues in.

Ghostbusters: 10 issues in, but last month was the start of the next arc. If you like the franchise you'll love this. It captures everything everybody loved about the movies.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Smallville Alien. It relaunches next month, good jump on point.

Eternal Warrior start at 1. Only 3 issues.

Bloodshot and HARD Corps 14+, only 3 issues

Unity only 1 issue

Night wing from issue 19

Green arrow from issue 17

Batman from issue 21 (Zero Year, origin story)

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_red_viper  Moderator

Vertigo's "Hinterkind" and Dynamite's Cryptozoic Man" look promising.

Eric8a92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dud317: Letter 44 sounds like interesting.

mcauburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anyone has mentioned Zero or The Wake, which are only a few issues in and both really good so far. Saga, Walking Dead, Manhattan Projects are great too. Velvet looks like it is going to be good.