#1 Posted by Floopay (9061 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, there are a lot of comic book characters out there. Even more importantly, there are some pretty popular characters who everyone can't help but love....or can they?

Some characters are so popular, and have such a huge following, that I believe some people have a hard time admitting that they do not like that particular character, or even loathe the characters creation. However, anytime someone expresses any sort of hate or dislike towards one of these popular characters, they are met with a wave of fans and followers stating how they are ridiculous for not liking said character.

Well, here's your chance to be heard. Feel free to state why you dislike a particular character.

Contrary to what you may think, this is not a hate thread: I believe this is a perfect opportunity to really understand many characters. Its easy to think of all the reasons why people like a character, but sometimes it's hard to understand why someone can dislike a character. I think this will really help people

Rules:

• Please do not bash anyone for their reasonings! This thread is supposed to be fun, and a great way for some people to state why they dislike a certain character, and more importantly to understand your fellow viner, and the reasons why some beloved characters may not be as appealing to others as they are to yourself.
  • No prejudiced please! If you don't like a character for their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. Please don't post here.
  • Feel free to discuss: If you are curious about a particular statement by someone, just ask. But please remind polite and understanding, remember, everyone has their likes and dislikes, and some things just aren't appealing to certain people.

To everybody: Please enjoy yourselves, and have a blast with this one!

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#2 Edited by Chaos Prime (11585 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool the character does nothing for me yet im a fan of Deathstroke.

His humour just doesnt cut it, dont get me wrong i have tried reading his stuff but i just dont find it to my likeing.

#3 Edited by CrimsonCake (2720 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to see if anybody here hates Hawkman.

Because I don't think Ed Boon is the only one...

#4 Posted by Floopay (9061 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Prime:

Deadpool and Cable is probably the ultimate test if Deadpool is a character for you or not. Because I think in that one he really shows off his true character, X-Force is another one that's good for that. But if you don't like him in those two appearances, then he's probably just one of those guys you don't like.

For me (I just realized if I make the thread, I should give my dislikes) I would have to say:

• Deathstroke - I used to love him, and I still love Deadpool, but I think they started going way over the top with him when he started taking on people like the Justice League. To me an awesome street leveler can easily be ruined by the authors constantly writing them beating people they have no business fighting.
  • Hal Jordan - I just can't read him. I dunno if it's because he had that brief period of time where he had a couple of instances of being into underage girls, I dunno if it's because I think he's a smug, unlikable jerk, but I just can't stand him.
  • Superman - Yep, the big boy is on my list. I think I got turned off from him because of SA and All-Star eras. He just always seems to be the "unbeatable" hero, and to me that's just not appealing. I'm a big fan of street levelers more than anything, but I do occasionally like the power houses and cosmic heroes, but something about the "I have every power" boyscout seems to rub me the wrong way.
  • The Incredible Hulk - I can't stand him, at all. When I see Hulk all I can think of is "HULK SMASH", and that's pretty much the only dynamic I've ever gotten from him. Even in WWH that was the only side of him I could think of. I dunno, he's just one dimensional to me, and I can't get into him.
  • Wolverine - Same reasons as Deathstroke. I remember him getting a stab in on Silver Surfer, and him fighting Thor (though Thor creamed him), and so many other instances where I just couldn't help but think "This is just too ridiculous for me, and this I'm reading a comic book, so that's saying a lot". Almost the same reason as Deathstroke is the reason I dislike him.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#5 Posted by Cap10nate (3228 posts) - - Show Bio

@Chaos Prime said:

His humour just doesnt cut it, dont get me wrong i have tried reading his stuff but i just dont find it to my likeing.

I feel the same way. His humor isn't my style either.

#6 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4672 posts) - - Show Bio

These 2, I hope a certain person doesn't see this! If that person veiws this , look, I was do for one and could'nt contain myself I had to post these two. Reasons, over exposure, and unearned credit in that order for each character.

#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8932 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-men nearly all of them. Reed Richards

#8 Posted by Shotgun (912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay: Superman has a number of versatile super powers, just not all of them.

#9 Posted by xybernauts (885 posts) - - Show Bio

I think hate is a strong word. I don't think I feel so passionatly about a character that I hate them, although there are characters that I dislike for some reason or another.

For example I really kinda dislike arrow carrying heroes like Green Arrow and Hawkeye. I can see why people like them and they do have a certain appeal, but honestly, a bows and arrows. If he has that sort of aim why not use guns like Grifter?

Also, I have to admit I don't really care for Antman and Wasp. Wasp turns small in order to fight supervillians and this supposedly is supposed to give her an advantage? And why can't she grow big like Antman. He has the ability to grow and shrink, but she can only shrink? Antman's powers have so much potential, yet you never see him use even a fraction of it. For example, hypothetically he can beat the Hluk by just shrinking him. I could go on and on.

#10 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk and Superman.

Boring and one dimensional characters. I doubt Superman could hold a book if he wasn't the first comic superhero. They must appeal to someone but they just aren't the type of character that interests me.

And I hate Hulk because I hate straight green males..

#11 Posted by lykopis (10868 posts) - - Show Bio

@evilvegeta74:

-_-

Fine. I will allow this -- one time. Because of the nature of the thread and because your reasons might --- MIGHT be valid. But --- remember...I am watching......

**vanishes**

#12 Posted by ssejllenrad (13028 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl...

The only one from the Super Family I kinda hate. Not to mention she's a bitch in Superman 13.

#13 Posted by Swagger462 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Superman. He's boring and OP. Having said that I really enjoyed Red Son and All Star Superman was alright.

Batman. I can't put my finger on why, I just dislike his character. He has some really well written and enjoyable stories I just hate him though. Kind of like how I love the Buffy show and comics but I hate her. She's a b*tch,

#14 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

Falcon- lame sidekick no cool personality or powers maybe the movie can change my mind.

hal jordan- the worst green lantern not even interesting in my opinion. i rather read about kyle rayner or baz or john stewart

cyclops- i hate scott for killing prof. xaiver.

aquaman- i don't care for aquaman

#15 Posted by Rumble Man (11197 posts) - - Show Bio

Never did hate the characters, just the makers

TOAA

Presence

big ass omnipotent being who never did anything recently

#16 Edited by Chaos Prime (11585 posts) - - Show Bio

@Cap10nate said:

@Chaos Prime said:

I feel the same way. His humor isn't my style either.

Problem i guess Marvel had was they had to give him a certain personality otherwise he would have been a straight up DS clone.

But imo had they given him a very dark persona similar to the Punisher then i might have found the character more to my likeing.

so is Cable & Deadpool worth a read then?

Agree about DS best leave him to use his mind when going up against cosmics/flash not his fighting skill.

#17 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman is literally the worse comic book character in existence. I can't think of anyone lamer and the fact that she's so well loved/respected makes it so much worse. I would seriously love to meet the guy/s who designed/created her.

"Hmm.. I think i'll make her an Amazon."

"Yes.. Yes... and then let's give her a lasso... just cause."

"Why stop there? Let's make this Amazon's costume look like a hybrid of a cross dressing Uncle Sam and a Princess from Planet Gold&Stars."

"Oh! And one last and final thing. LET'S GIVE HER AN INVISIBLE JET!"

-_____-

She's iconic. I get it... but sometimes characters can't adapt with the times and as a result, should be left behind. Superman adapted. Batman adapted. But Wonder Woman? No... the cheesiness is just overbearing. Even after the relaunch (which in my opinion doesn't really count)

#18 Posted by kingsloth (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor I dont like that he pull powers out of no where occasionally and I just dont like his character

Wolverine for obvious reasons

franklin richards makes me cringe with disgust, his entire concept irks me

I have never liked plastic man he always seemed to not substantially contribute to comics hes in

#19 Posted by xybernauts (885 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

Falcon- lame sidekick no cool personality or powers maybe the movie can change my mind.

I have to add Falcon to the list too. While I don't think he's a sidekick, he comes across as one, and that I really dislike.

#20 Posted by ShiningLegend (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of dislike Henry Pym, although I suppose the character is engineered to be disliked (after all, Stan Lee had him beat his wife!) Is it retarded that I like Scott Lang better than Pym?

I also don't really enjoy Speedball that much, he seems to be a rather annoying geek; although I liked Penance in Civil War.

I can't say I hate these characters; I just don't like them very much.

#21 Posted by longbowhunter (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

I live by the motto "No such thing as a bad character, just bad writers". That being said my big exception is Cable. I've never seen the appeal.

#22 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15329 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

The X-men nearly all of them.

this and freaking zasz. but it's not that I don't like him. It's just that I find him disgusting.

#23 Posted by BumpyBoo (12258 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462 said:

I don't like Superman. He's boring and OP. Having said that I really enjoyed Red Son and All Star Superman was alright.

Batman. I can't put my finger on why, I just dislike his character. He has some really well written and enjoyable stories I just hate him though. Kind of like how I love the Buffy show and comics but I hate her. She's a b*tch,

This is all true.

*high five*

Totally watched for Willow!

#24 Posted by Swagger462 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo: Yes! Although for the short time she was around Tara was my favourite character... Now I feel like watching Buffy.

#25 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Wonder Woman is literally the worse comic book character in existence. I can't think of anyone lamer and the fact that she's so well loved/respected makes it so much worse. I would seriously love to meet the guy/s who designed/created her.

"Hmm.. I think i'll make her an Amazon."

"Yes.. Yes... and then let's give her a lasso... just cause."

"Why stop there? Let's make this Amazon's costume look like a hybrid of a cross dressing Uncle Sam and a Princess from Planet Gold&Stars."

"Oh! And one last and final thing. LET'S GIVE HER AN INVISIBLE JET!"

-_____-

She's iconic. I get it... but sometimes characters can't adapt with the times and as a result, should be left behind. Superman adapted. Batman adapted. But Wonder Woman? No... the cheesiness is just overbearing. Even after the relaunch (which in my opinion doesn't really count)

She was created by Harvard (or was it Yale) professor William Marston Moulden.(Hope I got that spelled right..i could wiki it, but too lazy now) Anyhow, amongst creating Wonder Woman, he also helped create the lie-detector machine. Which explains why the "lasso of truth" (which I love..it's so unique..name another object even close to being like it) was something he found appealing. When she was created America had just entered WWII so her costume made a lot of sense at the time. Granted, one could say when she was still wearing the same design in 1985 it was dated. The Amazon part is because he wanted a strong female counterpart to male heroes, and Amazon lore gave him that.

I get what you're saying, but from her creators point of view, everything about her (save the jet) makes sense. Actually makes more sense than "Let's just say he was bit by a spider and became a human spider type guy."

#26 Posted by BumpyBoo (12258 posts) - - Show Bio

@Swagger462 said:

@BumpyBoo: Yes! Although for the short time she was around Tara was my favourite character... Now I feel like watching Buffy.

Tara is wonderful...not to derail the thread but when she spoon feeds her I cry like a baby XD

#27 Posted by kingdomenic (214 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mega_spidey01 said:

aquaman- i don't care for aquaman

are you reading aquaman right now? cuz I didn't like him before that either.

#28 Posted by Swagger462 (396 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

@Swagger462 said:

Tara is wonderful...not to derail the thread but when she spoon feeds her I cry like a baby XD

THIS! So much this! Well, I don't cry but I really feel like I should be. It's horrible!

Anyway, back to the thread Batman sucks... Again.

#29 Posted by BumpyBoo (12258 posts) - - Show Bio

*whispers, knowing she will be in trouble for this*

I always thought Harley Quinn was kind of a douche....

#30 Posted by Douche_Macenzi (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma frost. Just not interested in her. I've only read a handful of stuff with her in it but she just annoys me.

#31 Posted by nickthedevil (14854 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShiningLegend said:

I kind of dislike Henry Pym, although I suppose the character is engineered to be disliked (after all, Stan Lee had him beat his wife!) Is it retarded that I like Scott Lang better than Pym?

I also don't really enjoy Speedball that much, he seems to be a rather annoying geek; although I liked Penance in Civil War.

I can't say I hate these characters; I just don't like them very much.

Well.... I feel as though I should educate you in this little bit of comic history.

#1: Stan Lee did not write that story.

#2: He wasn't supposed to hit Jan on purpose. He was supposed to not turn around, and exclaim something while still working at his desk. When she was behind him, he'dthrow his arms up in the air, and should have hit her by accident.

#3: The illustrator read it and decided to make it more dramatic and draw it like a full scale back fist.

The more you know...

#32 Posted by nickthedevil (14854 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

*whispers, knowing she will be in trouble for this*

I always thought Harley Quinn was kind of a douche....

I agree. I feel like she should have gottten into a relationship with someone else.... Harley Quinn was alright at first, but know she kinda feels meaningless. and. *ahem* "Douche-y'

#33 Posted by ComicKID777 (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool. never liked the way he was written ever an his joke way of things just rubs me the wrong way. Also some of his fans annoy me.

#34 Posted by EdBlank (840 posts) - - Show Bio

I won't pick on particular characters, just themes. First of all: if you're gonna dress up in brightly colored spandex, please take time to make up a code name. "Jean Grey" (I realize they dropped her code name) "Emma Frost" (same) "Sebastian Shaw" bothers the s*** out of me. It's like rappers who use their government names. Weak. Another theme that screams X-Men: psychic/tk/reality warping/energy absorbing and projecting. It seems like many newer characters have these nebulous psychic and energy powers. Do we really need more than a few of these types? Instead of making new ones just use one of the 1000 that have probably been mothballed after two issues. /rant

#35 Posted by xybernauts (885 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I live by the motto "No such thing as a bad character, just bad writers". That being said my big exception is Cable. I've never seen the appeal.

I agree.

As for Cable and alot of other X-Men, they were great when they weren't so popular. For example, Cable was a great when he was leader of X-Force back in the 90's and Emma Frost was great when she was making that transition from being a villian/antihero to being a hero and headmaster of Mass. X-Mansion. You just have to read the older comics to get the appeal. Truthfully, now I don't care for the X-Men as much so I don't keep track of them.

#36 Posted by The Stegman (29152 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I don't hate the X men..but I certainly don't like them either.

#37 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (5122 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan- apalling, unappealing, jerck , and I never understood why he's supposed to be the greatest Green lantern and have more willpower than John or Kyle or Guy

Storm- mainly because of her fans

Hulk- For reasons stated above.

Red Hulk- I see no reason for his existence

Wasp- Kind of useless character

Franklin Richards- What were the creators thinking when they made this kid

Galactus- Just don't like him like that

#38 Posted by Superguy0009e (2404 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider Jerusalem, I don't know much about the character, but I don't like what I have heard.

Same with the Boys. *shutter*

#39 Posted by Billy Batson (59245 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

Spider Jerusalem, I don't know much about the character, but I don't like what I have heard.

Same with the Boys. *shutter*

Maybe you should actually try reading the series before hating. Especially when both of them have been well received.
BB

#40 Posted by SmashBrawler (6032 posts) - - Show Bio

The X-Men franchise has never appealed to me. It's not the comics, I'm reading UFX, among others; it's not the characters, I like Wolverine and Nightcrawler, for example; it's just the fact that I'm not a fan of the franchise. Even as a kid with the cool 90's X-Men cartoon I never felt like I wanted to pick up the comics.

I've never been a fan of Iron Man, either. But I don't "hate" any of these.

How do you hate a fictional character, anyway? It's not like they beat me up or blew up my house.

#41 Posted by ComicMan24 (147458 posts) - - Show Bio

@xybernauts said:

He has the ability to grow and shrink, but she can only shrink?

She can also grow in size. She just prefers shrinking more.

#42 Posted by Superguy0009e (2404 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson:

Rules:

• Please do not bash anyone for their reasonings! This thread is supposed to be fun, and a great way for some people to state why they dislike a certain character, and more importantly to understand your fellow viner, and the reasons why some beloved characters may not be as appealing to others as they are to yourself.
  • No prejudiced please! If you don't like a character for their race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. Please don't post here.
  • Feel free to discuss: If you are curious about a particular statement by someone, just ask. But please remind polite and understanding, remember, everyone has their likes and dislikes, and some things just aren't appealing to certain people.

I have my reasons, let it be.

#43 Posted by Billy Batson (59245 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e said:

@Billy Batson:

Rules:

I have my reasons, let it be.

Didn't really bash your reasons.
And your reasons weren't really fun or great. Didn't even elaborate pffft.
BB

#44 Posted by Pwok21 (2464 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e:

Agreed with BB, plus he didn't even bash.

#45 Posted by eippihrellik (297 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a D.C. fan but I Despise Wonder Woman

#46 Edited by eippihrellik (297 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Sir i think we might be long lost brothers because i too hate Wonder Woman she's a completely useless character they just needed some sort of female equivalent to supes and thats how she came about and now that Super girl and Power girl exist there's no need for her i think she should replaced by Donna Troy an infinitely more interesting character

#47 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (40358 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor

I hate Thor

He is an overbearing, pompous moron that swans around calling everybody "mortal" like it's some kind of insult

#48 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (21084 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't like a good majority of the X-Men characters. They are just unappealing to me.

#49 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2371 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

Thor

I hate Thor

He is an overbearing, pompous moron that swans around calling everybody "mortal" like it's some kind of insult

While I don't dislike Thor, I never got why he spoke Elizabethan English. "thou?" What kind of Norse God says "Thou?"

#50 Posted by nickthedevil (14854 posts) - - Show Bio

I really dislike Gorilla Grodd. So many better villains have died, IE, the Top and Zoom (was depowered). I always wondered, WTF was up with Hunter not slaughtering Grodd?