• 74 results
#51 Posted by TDK_1997 (13723 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Ohhh.The first issue is a good start but when you get at issue 10 you will see how bad the book is.

#52 Edited by nappystr8 (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I agree with everyone who said All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men are good books, for someone who is looking for self contained stories that don't cross over, they seem to be a poor choice. Astonishing X-Men, or the upcoming X-Men would be more likely to be self contained. If you are looking for something a little artsy, try Hawkeye. For an old school vibe, FF. If you like funny, you can't go wrong with Deadpool. And if you want a book that really makes you think, there is no better book on the market than New Avengers. And if you like teen heroes, then pick up Young Avengers.

But just remember, Marvel will disappoint you one day too. probably sooner rather than later. That's just how the big two operate. They are soulless corporate entities after all. But that doesn't mean they both don't have absolutely terrific books, if you can sift through all the crap.

#53 Posted by Extremis (2959 posts) - - Show Bio

To the OP, my question would be why you have such a fundamental dislike for so many of Marvel's characters without even trying? You need to be open minded if you're going to try something new. Otherwise you'll miss out on some really great comics which is really the thing we are all looking for isn't it?

As others have suggested, if the main pillar characters are unreadable for you in the MU you might want to rethink your strategy. My advice would be to check any brand-loyalty fanboyism at the door (if it exists) or you could check stuff outside the big 2 publishers if you don't like them.

#54 Edited by Reignmaker (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Read literally anything Matt Fraction is writing right now (Hawkeye, Fantastic Four, FF). Other than that, Indestructible Hulk and Deadpool have been fun carefree reads, if not very deep.

#55 Edited by MattGalvatron (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff in both. Animal Man and Aqua Man from DC are great books. Justice League ain't so bad so I don't know why your hating it. Batman by Snyder is fun. Wonderwoman is a good book. I would say if your sick of something don't write off the whole line just pick up a diff book. Again good stuff at DC and Marvel. Support all comics :)

#56 Edited by TheVoiceOfReason (747 posts) - - Show Bio

If all comics were self contained and didn't cross over each universe would get pretty boring fast.

#57 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@thevoiceofreason:

I understand that, but I was reading Supergirl, Red Hood and the Outlaws, and Aquaman. Aquaman required that I read Justice League, Supergirl required that I read Superman, and Red Hood required that I read Teen Titans. It was just so much. If I didn't read the extra ones, then the story would make no sense. I get it, tie-ins are important and common, but it's annoying when I have to read another comic as well just for the story to make any sense. I'm sort of on a tight budget.

@reignmaker:

I'm reading All New X-men and Guardians of the Galaxy. I tried Deadpool, Uncanny X-men, and Fantastic Four, but I didn't like them too much.

#58 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay ^-^

#59 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

You should give Thor a try. Thor: God of Thunder is the best comic Marvel has at the moment. Indestructible Hulk is also good.

#60 Posted by The Stegman (20786 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear, people treat Marvel and DC like two abusive exes bouncing back and forth every time one annoys them. Be Independent, Go Independent.

#61 Edited by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear, people treat Marvel and DC like two abusive exes bouncing back and forth every time one annoys them. Be Independent, Go Independent.

I'm dependent though. Suggest something good and I'll give it a try.

#62 Posted by The Stegman (20786 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:
@the_stegman said:

I'm dependent though. Suggest something good and I'll give it a try.

..In that case, read Hawkeye, easiest the funniest and most entertaining comic Marvel has at the moment. New Avengers is also really good.

#63 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio
#64 Edited by The Stegman (20786 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Oh, I thought you meant you were dependent on Marvel lol. Anyway, Are you currently reading any independent stuff? I'd suggest the usual like Walking Dead, Saga I hear is good, Fables is always fun, most of the independent stuff I read is my personal taste, for isntance I loved the BTVS show so I'm reading the comics, but for someone not interested in it, I wouldn't suggest it.

#65 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyfire said:

Fantastic Four and FF are great.

#66 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Oh, I thought you meant you were dependent on Marvel lol. Anyway, Are you currently reading any independent stuff? I'd suggest the usual like Walking Dead, Saga I hear is good, Fables is always fun, most of the independent stuff I read is my personal taste, for isntance I loved the BTVS show so I'm reading the comics, but for someone not interested in it, I wouldn't suggest it.

I was being sarcastic. I'm only reading Marvel and DC right now. I tried The Walking Dead, but I prefer the show.

#67 Posted by dscythe (40 posts) - - Show Bio

chalk up another vote for venom, i know you dont want any spiderman, but what about scarlet spider?

#68 Posted by novi_homines (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

No Thor? That's a shame. Jason Aaron is giving Thor some of the best quality he's ever had. I'll recommend Thor, but that's for you to decide. Aaron's run isn't about flying, or strength, or fighting at all actually. Its simply storytelling. Good stuff.

Daredevil - Amazing. breakout character last year. Won some Eisner awards last year. Volume 1 is out in trade form.

New Avengers- A darker, and more grim avengers book. Consists of some of Marvel's most intelligent characters : Black Panther, Reed Richards, Beast, Tony Stark, Black Bolt, and Dr. Strange.

Hawkeye- Different kind of comic book, very unique and well written. Breakout character this year as daredevil was last year. Currently has multiple Eisner nominations, and might win some.

#69 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

No Thor? That's a shame. Jason Aaron is giving Thor some of the best quality he's ever had. I'll recommend Thor, but that's for you to decide. Aaron's run isn't about flying, or strength, or fighting at all actually. Its simply storytelling. Good stuff.

Daredevil - Amazing. breakout character last year. Won some Eisner awards last year. Volume 1 is out in trade form.

New Avengers- A darker, and more grim avengers book. Consists of some of Marvel's most intelligent characters : Black Panther, Reed Richards, Beast, Tony Stark, Black Bolt, and Dr. Strange.

Hawkeye- Different kind of comic book, very unique and well written. Breakout character this year as daredevil was last year. Currently has multiple Eisner nominations, and might win some.

I'll give Hawkeye a try, but I just can't stand comic Thor for some reason. I'm definitely not giving Avengers a try. I hate team comics (excluding X-men comics).

#70 Posted by novi_homines (1321 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:
@novi_homines said:

I'll give Hawkeye a try, but I just can't stand comic Thor for some reason. I'm definitely not giving Avengers a try. I hate team comics (excluding X-men comics).

My goodness. You hate alot of things. You might want to be a little more open minded.

#71 Edited by Queso6p4 (1411 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: Fair enough. I would go with:

1. Thor: God of Thunder
  2. Hawkeye
  3. Indestructible Hulk
  4. Journey Into Mystery
  5. New Avengers
  6. All New X-Men
  7. Cable and X-Force.
#72 Edited by Binski (611 posts) - - Show Bio

New avengers and avengers go together well so you might want to stay away and just get uncanny avengers, FF and Fantastic Four also go together so skip them and all new x-men and uncanny x-men go together so stay away from those as well x-men legacy isn't bad but not very new reader friendly, i'd go with Indestructible Hulk, Thor god of Thunder, and Captain America, Journey into mystery and Daredevil honorable mentions and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

#73 Posted by Strider92 (15272 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam: The only Marvel suggestions I can give are:

• Scarlet Spider
  • New Avengers

Both these titles are pretty good however if you're looking for some alternatives to Marvel and DC:

• Harbinger (Valliant)
  • Bloodshot (Valliant)
  • The Darkness (Top Cow)
  • Artifacts (Top Cow)
  • Aphrodite IX (Top Cow)

All of them are awesome and Aphrodite IX just got rebooted and is only 1 issue in thus far so not much to catch up on!

#74 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15950 posts) - - Show Bio

Hulk

Thor

DareDevil

Scarlet Spider

Venom

#75 Posted by AweSam (7110 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92: I heard The Darkness is really good. I'll probably check it out.