Screw it, I'm going to read Marvel.

• 75 results
AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay, so DC's been pissing me off lately. I found myself at a point where I'm reading Aquaman and Supergirl, but can't read any further since I'm now forced to catch up to the with Superman and Justice League for the story to make any sense. Thing is, I've read enough Justice League and Superman. In fact, I've read enough DC... for now. I've decided to give Marvel a chance. Care to name me some comics I should be reading? Probably Marvel Now. Don't say Thor, I'll never give him a chance. Also, not Iron Man or Spider-man.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By xblah_blahx

I've heard good things about Hulk and Captain America. Then, there is always the X-Men. There are a lot of X-Mem books to choose from and most are pretty good.

divad4686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend Uncanny x-men, the story is good and it is nice to see the interaction of a team where the leaders are cyclops, magneto, emma and magik

New avengers, idk why it is called avengers, but it is a interesting and a bit complex read.

Thunderbolts: can't go wrong with deadpool + punisher + red hulk + elektra.

I'm also reading superior spiderman, but you don't want any of that :P

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AweSam

I've heard good things about Hulk and Captain America. Then, there is always the X-Men. There are a lot of X-Mem books to choose from and most are pretty good.

Hate Hulk and Captain America.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend Uncanny x-men, the story is good and it is nice to see the interaction of a team where the leaders are cyclops, magneto, emma and magik

New avengers, idk why it is called avengers, but it is a interesting and a bit complex read.

Thunderbolts: can't go wrong with deadpool + punisher + red hulk + elektra.

I'm also reading superior spiderman, but you don't want any of that :P

I was thinking of reading X-men.

Toxicant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Toxicant

I recommend anything that isn't Thunderbolts. Daredevil, Scarlet Spider, Venom, Hawkeye are some of my favorites.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

There's a Captain Marvel/Avengers Assemble 5 issue mini-event starting in May. Uncanny Avengers and FF are good too.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By tupiaz

Daredevil under Mark Waid has a way to loose plot and also I don't buy the premise about the Omega Drive it is kind of just bumps into the story.

I woud recommend buying X-Men trades by Chris Claremont and Morrison. Which Marvel characters are you interested in? It makes it a bit easier to make recommendations.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cap10nate

@awesam:New Avengers is a great story. The 5th issue just came out yesterday. It is a very heavy story and the characterizations are spot on and Epting's art is some of the best out there.

Secret Avengers is only 3 issues in. The story is fun. There is a lot of humor involved but the story is moving along quite nicely. It is inspired by the movie universe with the characters but it is not a bad thing. One of my favorites at the moment.

Uncanny Avengers is shaping up to be a great story as well. It is catching up to New Avengers in quality. The first arc was good as the team came together but it has exploded with quality over the past two issues. I believe the 7th issue just came out.

Captain America is an interesting story. It is very sci-fi at the moment with Cap trapped in a different dimension ruled by his long time nemesis Arnim Zola. I do like it but sometimes John Romita Jr.'s art turns me off. It is great in the action scenes but the faces and proportions seem off a lot when he does close ups. Also, I was a huge fan of Brubaker/Eptings Captain America run and this is about as far removed from that as you can get.

Indestructible Hulk has been good so far. Basically, Bruce Banner is tired of only being known for destroying things as the Hulk. So he is offering to work with SHIELD to work on inventions while loaning out the Hulk to them for missions.

Hawkeye has been great. It is quite unique from the rest of the stories being published now. It shows Clint Barton when he is not with the Avengers. It has been one of the funniest books on the market and is really putting together an intriguing story. You enjoying of the book would probably depend on what you think of David Aja as an artist.

Those are some of my favorite Marvel titles currently being produced. I also love Winter Soldier but it is being cancelled in 2 or 3 issues. It is rumored to be relaunched in phase 2 of Marvel Now! Fantastic Four has been picking up in the quality department recently but still isn't as good as a whole as the ones above. Avengers is an interesting book as well. It has a very grand scope and the art is great. However, I don't think there has been much character development. The story is entertaining and I think that it will be a good story when it is all said and done. But the best book on the market right now is Thor. It's fantastic.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: I'm interested in X-men, for sure. I liked Astonishing X-men. I'm interesting in the Fantastic Four and possibly Nova. Thing is, I'm not a big Marvel fan. The only things I've read were Astonishing X-men and like AvX. Yes, last time I decided to give Marvel a chance, I read AvX. I'm not interested in Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Wolverine (as the main character), Avengers (not all the members, just the team), and Spider-man.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor, Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man are all pillars of the Marvel universe, so if you really do hate them, you might want to reconsider jumping in. That being said, I liked what I've read of Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. The art in Thor is gorgeous and definitely its strongest point, though the story isn't terrible. Captain America started off well, but has been kind of stalling as of late in the story department. Its art is divisive. Haven't read any Iron Man. Daredevil was solid story-wise, though the art sometimes left something to be desired (excluding the covers, which are always awesome).

Sounds like you just want a break from superheroes. If that's the case, I would recommend The Walking Dead and Revival. A lot of people like Saga, too, though I can't really speak for it one way or another.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss: I know, I actually don't like the "best" Marvel characters. I never read anything with them in it, I just got into a lot of arguments with their fanboys. I watch the Walking Dead, so reading it would probably just brig up a lot of spoilers. The reason I was jumping into Marvel is because I figured I should try giving a chance.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@tupiaz: I'm interested in X-men, for sure. I liked Astonishing X-men. I'm interesting in the Fantastic Four and possibly Nova. Thing is, I'm not a big Marvel fan. The only things I've read were Astonishing X-men and like AvX. Yes, last time I decided to give Marvel a chance, I read AvX. I'm not interested in Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Wolverine (as the main character), Avengers (not all the members, just the team), and Spider-man.

The only FF I have read is some Stan Lee and John Byrne stories. I can recommend Byrnes run however it is pretty dated. X-Men I would check out Morrison and claremont runs. Chris Claremont's God Loves Man Kills.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By gotwillpower

No Thor? I thought I would hate Thor, but then I realized I like Game of Thrones, and the current series is pretty reminiscent of that. Well, at least the setting...in the young Thor parts...never mind.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RustyRoy

If you want to read X-Men then you should check out Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men both are great and Hawkeye is one of the best titles around.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

If you want to read X-Men then you should check out Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men both are great and Hawkeye is one of the best titles around.

I'll defnitely go for X-men. Might just try Hawkeye.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Hawkeye and Daredevil are great.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

@end_boss: I know, I actually don't like the "best" Marvel characters. I never read anything with them in it, I just got into a lot of arguments with their fanboys. I watch the Walking Dead, so reading it would probably just brig up a lot of spoilers. The reason I was jumping into Marvel is because I figured I should try giving a chance.

Why would you not read a book because you had internet arguments with anonymous people? It doesn't make sense to me. Why not try a character that you have never read before and make an informed judgment instead of a preconceived notion brought on by the worst of a specific character's fans?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RustyRoy

@awesam said:
@rustyroy said:

I'll defnitely go for X-men. Might just try Hawkeye.

You can always try the first issue.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

Why would you not read a book because you had internet arguments with anonymous people? It doesn't make sense to me. Why not try a character that you have never read before and make an informed judgment instead of a preconceived notion brought on by the worst of a specific character's fans?

I don't know, I just get used to bad talking the character. I don't think I'll give Thor a go since I've been reading non-stop Superman, Supergirl, and Justice League, so I'm pretty tired of people flying around. Also, I feel comic Thor won't live up to movie Thor. I'm actually not as picky as I seem. If I like a character, I'll read their comic no matter how bad it gets. I also don't want Spider-man since my brother pretty much made me sick of him. The guy owns the whole Ultimate Spider-man series plus every Spider-man game, show, and movie imaginable.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@awesam said:
@cap10nate said:

@awesam said:

I don't know, I just get used to bad talking the character. I don't think I'll give Thor a go since I've been reading non-stop Superman, Supergirl, and Justice League, so I'm pretty tired of people flying around. Also, I feel comic Thor won't live up to movie Thor. I'm actually not as picky as I seem. If I like a character, I'll read their comic no matter how bad it gets. I also don't want Spider-man since my brother pretty much made me sick of him. The guy owns the whole Ultimate Spider-man series plus every Spider-man game, show, and movie imaginable.

its a totally different game, you should try reading some Thor

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By InnerVenom123

Hulk

Thor

Superior Spider-man

Avengers

Captain America

Venom

Deadpool

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:

It's hard for me to take your dislike seriously if you've never actually read anything with them in it. And if you base your likes and dislikes on the interactions you have with fanboys, you're not going to like anything ever. Fanboys are bad and make their most beloved properties look bad by association. Also, don't worry about The Walking Dead. The two stories have diverged so much that they bear zero resemblance to one another.

And the books are better, anyway.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@end_boss said:
@awesam said:

It's hard for me to take your dislike seriously if you've never actually read anything with them in it. And if you base your likes and dislikes on the interactions you have with fanboys, you're not going to like anything ever. Fanboys are bad and make their most beloved properties look bad by association. Also, don't worry about The Walking Dead. The two stories have diverged so much that they bear zero resemblance to one another.

And the books are better, anyway.

Thor's still not really my kind of character and Captain America's too patriotic. I just started reading the New X-men digital comic and it's pretty good, so far. I've read Iron Man before and I didn't really like it. I might try Deadpool. Thing is, the more Marvel I read, the more likely I'll get into the characters. I also didn't like Black Panther up until I read AvX.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By joshmightbe

I'd suggest Image, or Dynamite Press.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 owie  Moderator

New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, and then I would say Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Superior Spider-Man, although I know they may not be your thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not reading any Marvel books right now, but I'm seriously looking forward to Brian Wood's all-female X-Men.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

Don't do that to yourself.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil, Hawkeye, End of Days. And that's all you should read.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And maybe deadpool but I can't say because I haven't read it.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

I'm not reading any Marvel books right now, but I'm seriously looking forward to Brian Wood's all-female X-Men.

Shouldn't it be X-women?

@tdk_1997 said:

Don't do that to yourself.

Eh?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Marvel's currently worse than DC.You are just gonna hurt yourself mentally while reading some of the ''best'' books from Marvel.The only amazing books from Marvel are Hawkeye,New Avengers and Daredevil.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Check out Indestructible Hulk, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Hawkeye, and Daredevil. They're all fun, interesting, well written books.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AweSam
@tdk_1997 said:

@awesam: Marvel's currently worse than DC.You are just gonna hurt yourself mentally while reading some of the ''best'' books from Marvel.The only amazing books from Marvel are Hawkeye,New Avengers and Daredevil.

Well, I'm enjoying X-men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:
@xwraith said:

Shouldn't it be X-women?

Both Brian Wood and Marvel insist "don't call it X-Women".

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam said:
@tdk_1997 said:

Well, I'm enjoying X-men.

Which X-Men title exactly?

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By 2chimcha3

I'm going to recommend Thor anyways. Before I actually read his comics, I hated him. After I started reading his book, I began to really like him. On another note, I'm glad you are expanding your horizons and restricting yourself to just DC.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AweSam
Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic Four and FF are good.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AweSam

@skyfire: I was considering one of those. Which would you say is better?

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: I personally prefer FF, it's just fun to read with it's lighter tone and humour.

That said you should get both anyway, their stories tie together. They're both 2.99 unlike most Marvel titles so that's a plus.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyfire said:

@awesam: I personally prefer FF, it's just fun to read with it's lighter tone and humour.

That said you should get both anyway, their stories tie together. They're both 2.99 unlike most Marvel titles so that's a plus.

That's sort of why I'm taking a break from DC

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Oh. Well then just go with FF.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TDK_1997
AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Well, I read the first issue. Just got the second one.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

No one has said Hawkeye ?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Twentyfive

About darn time!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@fenderxx said:

No one has said Hawkeye ?

@owie said:

New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, and then I would say Hawkeye, Daredevil, and Superior Spider-Man, although I know they may not be your thing.

Found one!

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#49  Edited By Fenderxx

Oh Thank god, I was worried there for a minute.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Superguy0009e

Hulk

Thor

Superior Spider-man

Avengers

Captain America