#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33369 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like the very first comic is from Scotland and you guessed it, it's satire

The Glasgow Looking Glass, published in 1825, is thought to predate all other known modern comics.

It will take centre stage at the International Graphic Novel and International Bande Dessinee Society (IBDS) joint conference at Glasgow University this week.

The comic, which later became known as The Northern Looking Glass, casts a satirical eye over 19th century Scottish society, poking fun at the fashions and politics of the era. It is regarded as a predecessor of Punch and other popular satirical comics of the Victorian age.

Have I got old news for you: Glasgow is home to world's oldest comic | Herald Scotland

#2 Posted by SoA (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting . nice post !

#3 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

i dont believe it

#4 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent. From now on if anyone insults me for being a comic book fan, I can tell them it's part of our cultural heritage. :)

Although, things like The Broons and Oor Wullie do predate characters like Superman, so maybe it's already part of the heritage.

Edited: That and The Dandy was apparently the third longest running comic in the world.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6538 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol awesome I'm a 20 minute train ride away from seeing that :P Also never thought I would ever see Glasgow as a thread topic on an American website deadicated to comics. Today is a good day.

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33369 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180: got to rep the homeland mate :)

#7 Posted by tupiaz (2183 posts) - - Show Bio

So that means USA is left with Jazz?

#8 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7984 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you, Scotland! Thank you!

#9 Edited by cattlebattle (12768 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

No one has ever claimed that the US invented comics...the US just invented comic books and the super hero genre. Comic strips date back to the 1800s and often credit France and Switzerland for being the country of their origin

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33369 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

No one has ever claimed that the US invented comics...the US just invented comic books and the super hero genre. Comic strips date back to the 1800s and often credit France and Switzerland for being the country of their origin

The comic in the OP is a comic book

#11 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

If anything, this explains Morrison's entire career - it's in his blood!

#12 Edited by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

Cavemen invented comic books

#13 Posted by Ms. Omega (4469 posts) - - Show Bio

Cavemen invented comic books

Was just gonna say this.

#14 Edited by tupiaz (2183 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms__omega: @warlock360: No they may invented drawings and told stories with them but that is another thing.

#15 Edited by Lvenger (19886 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

If anything, this explains Morrison's entire career - it's in his blood!

So it's the Scottish that are the truly greatest comic book writers :P

#16 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman first appeared in Action Comics #1 (June 1938) and subsequently appeared in various radio serials, television programs, films, newspaper strips, and video games. With the success of his adventures, Superman helped to create the superhero genre and establish its primacy within the American comic book.

You all owe Superman some resepct.

#17 Edited by Edamame (28143 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#18 Posted by z1co80 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Us Scots have to be good at something right?

#19 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: Superman created the main foundation an entire genre that exist even outside of comics. He gets plenty of respect.

Let our Scottish friends have their time in the limelight here.

#20 Posted by Dernman (15086 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh Cavemen had them beat by a long time.

#21 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

@cezar_thescribe: Superman created the main foundation an entire genre that exist even outside of comics. He gets plenty of respect.

Let our Scottish friends have their time in the limelight here.

MEH.

Why didn't this comment show up in my box?

#22 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by CharlieJade (422 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:

Jazz might not be exactly an invention but is simply a fusion of African rhythm and European orchestration

African rhythm is all over jazz, West African (you might already know these rhythms in old music like Creole Blues Soca Kaiso Soul....and other slave music in the colonies like Jamacia and Trinida, the US Southern States or church music Gospel)

and European melody (European classical melodies, European folk melody)

Not trashing it because making a fusion of two different styles and art is very difficult, and real jazz is very difficult to play

that's what makes jazz so interesting...and the times in which the art of jazz grew was a very interesting times, Prohibition, MLK, Civil Rights, stage musicals, dance contests, Black Sox Trial, Samuel Goldwyn the Warner Bros and Disney, Griffith's racist Birth of a Nation, WW2, Malcolm x, partying and hedonism......a person who can capture all this sadness, delight, chaos and energy in one album is a genius.....and fusing the best of Africa and Europe is what the US did best

but enough about jazz

I've seen some of these comics before

lewstringer.blogspot.com

#24 Posted by 4donkeyjohnson (1673 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting

#25 Posted by GlassTrotter (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool.

#26 Posted by Z3RO180 (6538 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

According to Sheldon Cooper comic books origin dates back to the cavemen, but yeah. I shall send to Scotland my finest silk and myrrh (whatever that is)..

#28 Posted by Strider92 (16454 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Damn it I came in here to have a joke at the expense of my Northern neighbor.............guess I can't now T.T.

#29 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13134 posts) - - Show Bio

just when i cant think Scottland any cooler. god bless em.