inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Scholastic, the global children’s publishing, education and media company, has acquired rights to three ‘DC Comics: Secret Hero Society’ illustrated novels, based on beloved DC Comics Super Hero characters, to be written and illustrated by Eisner Award-nominees Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs. The first book in the series, Study Hall of Justice, will be published in February 2016 and presents a twist on the idea of junior sleuths, using comics, journal entries, newspaper articles, and doodles to reimagine Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman as middle-grade students in a mysterious school. Study Hall of Justice will be published in hardcover simultaneously in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

The deal was negotiated by Warner Bros Consumer Products and Lynn Smith, Global Licensing Director at Scholastic, and Samantha Schutz, Associate Publisher, Licensing and Nonfiction, Scholastic.

In Study Hall of Justice, young Bruce Wayne is the new kid at Ducard Academy, a prep school for gifted middle school students. Bruce finds out pretty quickly that he doesn’t fit in: the faculty seems to not just encourage villainous behavior from its students, but reward it. Bruce makes friends with two other outsiders, farm boy Clark Kent and the regal Diana Prince. They soon discover that not only are the kids here special, they all seem super. The three band together to form a detective squad to find out why all of these extraordinary kids have been brought together at Ducard Academy, and to see just what the faculty is plotting. They’ll try their best to solve the case, but just because you’re heroic, it doesn't mean you get to stay up past eleven.

“Scholastic and Warner Bros. Consumer Products have been publishing collaborators for more than twenty years and we couldn’t be more excited that they’ve entrusted us to take some of their most iconic DC Comics characters on an adventure to a place that still strikes fear in the hearts of adults . . . middle school,” said Samantha Schutz, Associate Publisher, Licensing and Nonfiction, Scholastic. “To bring this action-packed and comedic series to life, we’ve enlisted the Eisner nominated team behind Batman Lil’ Gotham, Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs. What makes this series especially appealing is that it’s perfect for new fans to the franchise, but will still delight veterans who will pick up on subtle references and ‘easter eggs’ throughout the books.”

“Scholastic has been a long-standing partner and we’re excited to expand our collaboration to bring the DC Comics Super Heroes to young fans in this new book series set in middle school,” said Karen McTier, Executive Vice President, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “This charming, visually driven, comedic series will allow the readers to explore and experience the mysteries, adventures and mishaps of middle school alongside their favorite DC Comics characters.”

“I don't know what it's like to shoot lasers from my eyes, fly an Invisible Jet, or dress like a bat. But I remember my years in school fondly and tried to tap into that,” said Derek Fridolfs. “And when in doubt, it doesn't hurt to write in ninjas or have class clowns throwing pies.”

“Creating stories for children has always been what I love to do,” said Dustin Nguyen, “And to be able to do so with iconic characters I myself grew up with, it’s as exciting as being in the books myself!”

Secret Hero Society #2 will be published in spring 2017 and will see the addition of more DC Comics favorite characters including Arthur Curry (Aquaman), Victor Stone (Cyborg), and many more. Secret Hero Society #3 will be published in spring 2018.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Cool.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Hope it goes well.

DC had some very good young audiences titles and I am sure this will continue tradition.

KalvinEllis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man, this is going to be awesome. Also, they mention Arthur and Vic showing up down the line, but not a word about Hal and Barry? Patience is a virtue I guess. ;)

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cool idea I hope they expand the character roster. Just the trinity isn't enough. Bring in flash, Robin, and entire young justice, teen titans etc

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

looks nice. new tv show to replace titans go away????

MK5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

So cute! Look at Wonder Woman showing some leg on the cover. Haha.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 the_stegman  Moderator

Reminds me of the JLU episode where they were all turned into kids.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@the_stegman said:

Be that as it may? My love of JL8 and how THAT take on a Kid DC Universe could go is making me wanna buy this

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hm, I though Mr. Nguyen was working on Descender. Anyways this looks cool and fun, everyone knows my stance on comics and kids (granted I want to see more main line super hero books for kids, but this is still a win).

DC had some very good young audiences titles and I am sure this will continue tradition.

Agreed

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it will ever make me smile or laugh as much as JL8 did.

Orlandozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Orlandozo

¡¡como!! Espero que veo todos y no sólo de Bruce, Kal y Diana

Edit: todo es acerca de Bruce,Kal and Diana so mehhh

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Yes!

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Youre a wizard Clark

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

Adorable.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By Teerack

This is so cute.

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only person who thinks the bruce in the title looks like the bruce in gotham

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not trying to bring up a harsh concept or odd feelings, but are these three the only main characters for this? All black haired pale skinned blue eyed people? Feels a little lacking if you ask me.

I personally hate the politically correct concept more than most, but this feels a bit overwhelmingly Caucasian. I'm not saying they can't add others to it, but for the first issue you lead with three characters that could even be mistook for siblings. I feel like I'm looking at Children of the Damned. Least as adults they have their costumes to set them apart.

I wasn't trying to be a downer or anything. I love kid comics and books. Out There, Knights of the Silver Dragon, Generation X, ect...

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@the_stegman said:

Kids Stuff was one of the best JLU episodes ever.

Loading Video...

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumdor: I guess changing their skin tones slightly would be too complex. You do have a good point as they do like siblings. JL8 Diana has a much darker skin tone and black eyes, giving her a unique look from the other trinity members.

I would recommend reading it, its a web comic fan made for free.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks good. I will try it out.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21  Edited By Saren

So is Yale Stewart done now or what

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too many white kids

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, I though Mr. Nguyen was working on Descender. Anyways this looks cool and fun, everyone knows my stance on comics and kids (granted I want to see more main line super hero books for kids, but this is still a win).

@squalleon said:

Agreed

Nguyen is working on multiple titles.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks kind of fun, although if they were going for the whole batman in school thing this would also have potential:

No Caption Provided

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So kawaii!

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My niece gonna love it (that it if those novels will be sold in digital format as well).

Would have been even better if she knew English and did not order me to read it for her :P

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The kiddies are getting a Trinity book before we do haha.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jumdor

@titanbreaker: Ok cool. Yeah, I don't have a problem with it really just kind of threw the look off for me. I guess it would make sense being that her origin puts her on an island with mostly outside physical activities. While Clark and Bruce both come from city areas where the idea of a tan isn't really a common thing. Well Clark originally from a farm, but adult city version was what I was thinking.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: God I ship Diana and Bruce so hard in that series.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jumdor said:

Lol. Maybe that's why I hate the WW/Supes pairing. As far as your earlier comment, I think they just went for the big 3 since it's supposed to aim towards younger audiences, and they are going to introduce more characters eventually, maybe even in the first book. At the same time, they could have at least made WW distinguished more.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@indomitableregal said:

@jumdor said:

Lol. Maybe that's why I hate the WW/Supes pairing. As far as your earlier comment, I think they just went for the big 3 since it's supposed to aim towards younger audiences, and they are going to introduce more characters eventually, maybe even in the first book. At the same time, they could have at least made WW distinguished more.

I wanted a love triangle between Bruce, Diana, and Kal myself.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super cute. Same team behind Li'l Gotham. I'm gonna read this.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal: Yeah the relationship of Supes and Wonder feels so forced to me. It makes sense, but it also feels boring as dirt. =)

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightfang: Well it would make sense I mean she would be considered one of the most desirable women on any Earth. While Bruce and Clark are two of the most desired male personalities from opposite perspectives. I could understand Diana desiring both, but I always thought of that as weakening her empowered woman persona. While a confused woman is more a common and normal female trait in most stories. That's opinion of course and isn't the truth with all women. Funny story I actually had that go down in my life with a girl once *COUGH* anyway.

Maybe the triangle thing in the form of Bruce's lack of interest in anything other than Justice. Diana being interested in him while Clark has eyes for her but doesn't understand how Bruce can ignore her. Would make for good reading especially on a more child school crush level. Heh, Bruce being the secret keeper and deductive that he is. Observing Clark's twitches and fidgets around her while agreeing not to tell her. Sorry half asleep here I tend to ramble.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@indomitableregal said:

@jumdor said:

I like the Wondie/Supes ship as much as the next guy. I mean I like it for OTHER reasons than the super-sex thing a lot people use as the basis for it since "only Wonder Woman can survive getting it on with Superman". I find them to be interesting as couple, the alien and the demigoddess(Even pre-New 52 Diana was essentially a demigoddess in all but blood), one sci-fi and the other fantasy... The problem is they haven't SOLD us on the romance outside of the initial

"So I'm the world's strongest man... You're the world's strongest woman.... Wanna hook up?"

Which is a good START to a romance, I mean everyone starts from common interests/things in common, but really? I don't think they've capitalized on it at ALL. I mean... I expected? An in depth look at how they react to each other's worlds, their viewpoints, their origins, and so on. THAT is the real appeal to the pairing, not just the super-sex. It CAN work. I actually LIKE it.... But I don't agree with how DC has handled it in the slightest. It's always just been

"HEY LOOK! TWO OF OUR FLAGSHIP CHARACTERS ARE DATING!"

A lot of people PREFER the Bat Wonder ship more(I like both) because there's still that notion of Diana being STRONGER than said boyfriend which people think is important... Well she is with Superman too. I mean her enemies are mainly magical, many of them GODS.... Superman cannot effectively FIGHT that. Oh he can help out, but when it comes to being there to rush in and save the "damsel in distress" then... No. That's NOT gonna happen in those scenarios and if ANYTHING it's her saving HIM!

So either way both work. You got the sci-fi hero in Superman that makes great counterbalance for Wonder Woman's mythological roots and world.... And the urban vigilante detective who focuses on street crime... Either way you got a good opposite force with them.... That's why they work so good together, all three of them as friends(Or in this case MORE than friends) and as a team.

Jumdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jumdor

@smart_dork_dude: You make a very good point. I can see the merits of both.

I just abused the word hate like most do in today's time. My apologies.