Saruman of many colors represents gays?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I've always wondered ever since gays have been legally accepted in America, what was Tolkien's view on gays. Now I haven't done any research on this so please don't criticize, but could it be possible he didn't support them through making the character Saruman of many colors since the excepted symbol of gays is rainbow. Give me your opinion on this.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't know Tolkien's opinions on homosexuality but that's not what Saruman of Many Colours is about. There's an anti-industrial--particularly militarized industry--undercurrent to Lord of the Rings. Saruman industrializes and goes mad with power. The idea behind the rainbow robes is that he was Saruman the white but found out that white light when shined through glass can be separated into many colors (the rainbow) after which he styled his new robes. The robes are a sign of the corruption of industrialization not of homosexuality. Also, I don't think Saruman's sexuality is ever mentioned in any capacity.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Bierschneeman

@roboadmiral said:

I don't know Tolkien's opinions on homosexuality but that's not what Saruman of Many Colours is about. There's an anti-industrial--particularly militarized industry--undercurrent to Lord of the Rings. Saruman industrializes and goes mad with power. The idea behind the rainbow robes is that he was Saruman the white but found out that white light when shined through glass can be separated into many colors (the rainbow) after which he styled his new robes. The robes are a sign of the corruption of industrialization not of homosexuality. Also, I don't think Saruman's sexuality is ever mentioned in any capacity.

THIS,

Saruman is identifying himself as the equivalent of ALL THE WIZARDS of all the colors.

ohh and.. IN BEFORE THE LOCK

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Trying to picture Saruman wearing a multicolored robe in the LotR movies and not look ridiculous. Its a good thing he kept to white...

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fail troll is a failure at life. You know what to do.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator

@1234567809: Hello. J. R. R. Tolkien passed away in 1973. The Rainbow flag isn't credited with becoming a symbol or affiliated with LGBT, Gay movements until around 1978.

Basically I doubt that Tolkien's views on homosexuality are in any way related to or connected to Saruman and what he wore. roboadmiral's post is also very excellent and with my post we basically answer your question, so I am going to lock this thread as the premise and room for on topic conversation is limited.

Thank you.