Ryan Reynolds rather be Deadpool than Green Lantern...?

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Jordanstine
Ryan Reynold's intro to Green Lantern and Deadpool:

Quote:
A. On Green Lantern:

"I've known about "Green Lantern" my whole life, but I've never really followed it before. I started to fall in love with the character when I met with [director] Martin Campbell. When I sat down with him, I really got what it is that this guy is all about. When you have a guy like Martin Campbell, part of his charm is that he has balls of titanium, and the other part is that he's slightly crazy, and you have to be to take on something with the scope of "Green Lantern." He's less of the director and more of a general. He just really knows strategies, he knows the intricacies, and his attention to detail! It's infectious. I sat down with him, and I could not even believe what he was saying. When I went to the meeting, I was entirely cynical about the film. I thought, 'What the hell, I'll see what they all have to say,' and I left the room with a completely different perspective."

B. On Deadpool:

"I read the Deadpool series back in the ‘90’s. But I’m not a huge comic-book reader, per se. I’ll check out Archie when I’m in the grocery line but that’s about it. I really wanted to play Wade, and I really wanted to play Deadpool, and it would kill me to see someone else play them. I had a kind of ham-fisted attitude that it had to be perfect, but it doesn't. The movie's called "Wolverine," it's not called "Deadpool" or "Wade." I thought it was a nice little wink and tip of the hat to things to come. Finding the tone of that character alone is such a difficult prospect. I've been in so many meetings lately about "Deadpool" and meeting all these writers. Everyone is always looking for that one line, "What is that character?" and for me it's kind of like, "There's a guy, and he's in a highly militarized comedic fame spiral." That's not an easy thing to write -- an entire screenplay, let alone a franchise. I had a blast playing Wade. Every line I had in that was stuff I thought he would say. It wasn't something that a writer said to me. It was fun to really create that character, including everything he spits out of his awful mouth."

Ryan Reynolds when asked "Who would win Green Lantern or Deadpool":

Quote:
"I'm going to go on record right now. In a battle of the wits, Green Lantern is a dead man! But in a battle of the body, I'm afraid Deadpool is going to expire."

Ryan Reynolds when asked if "Green Lantern means as much to him as Deadpool":

Quote:
"Green Lantern means a lot to me. And admittedly I wasn't as familiar with Green Lantern coming into the project, but as I learned I fell in love with the character. It's such an iconic guy. He's the guy who throws the punch, kisses the girl, and tells a joke. It's like, 'Who wouldn't want to play that?' But Deadpool is something I'm very passionate about and we're still actively working on. Deadpool is not a superhero movie, its a deconstruction of superhero movies so to come off Green Lantern and have the opportunity to do a movie like Deadpool is great in every way possible. The fourth wall is broken many times in the movie and its important that we do so. I can't emphasise enough how closely the tone of the comic is being followed. But its a nasty piece of work and thats whats important."

Ryan Reynolds on how he landed their respective parts:

Quote:
A. On how he got the Green Lantern role:

Both Ryan Reynolds and producer Donald De Line admitted that the finalists (including Bradley Cooper and Jared Leto), had to endure two separate screen tests with one important stipulation. “We found out that the studio executives always want to see the guy in the mask,” said De Line, “and Ryan looks really good in the mask.”

“There was a Cinderella element to it,” admitted Reynolds. “We have these things on our industry called a lifecast, and it’s a mold of an actor’s head and you can build a prosthetic around that. You can do anything with that, and obviously, Peter [Sarsgaard] did one for his prosthetics in the film. The effects house that was asked to make the Green Lantern mask had no idea who was auditioning, but they arbitrarily chose my head from the vast catalogue of actors’ heads to build the mask around. When I showed up to the set [for a screen test], my mask fit a little bit better than it did in, the other's auditions."

B. On how he got the Deadpool role:

According to Fox Executive, Jeff Katz, Deadpool's journey to the big screen (and Ryan Reynolds' connection to the character), began around the time when plans were being hashed out for "Blade: Trinity". The film was written and directed by David Goyer, and at the time, Katz was serving in a similar capacity for New Line Cinema and "Blade" as he later served for Fox on "Wolverine."

"All the way back to Ryan, Goyer and I on 'Blade: Trinity' 2003, we were trying to put together a deal at New Line for a 'Deadpool' movie," said Katz. "We thought the rights were clear and not part of the 'X-Men' universe, so Ryan could play the character and Goyer could write."

I can’t remember why -- I think they wanted to do a 'Blade' spin-off instead -- but it didn't come together. But Ryan, to his credit, has remained obsessed with the Deadpool character."
Ryan Reynolds on the future of each film:

Quote:
A. Future of Green Lantern:

"Green Lantern a pretty big universe and there's a lot to explore. There's a lot to explore with Hal and without him. You could do a couple more movies with Hal, then you could move on to a movie with Guy Gardner or Kyle Rayner, any of those guys. [But] let's not put the cart before the horse. In success, you do another movie, you do two, and that's fantastic. But the first one has got to land and people have got to see it and really have to have that appetite for a second one."

B. Future of Deadpool:

"Deadpool is in development like other films. It's coming along. There's a great script there. With Deadpool, it’s a lot like going to prison for the first day. You got to walk up and hit the biggest guy you see to establish a bit of cred. With Deadpool, early on you have to establish that moral flexibility. There’s a gamble to it — you’re going to lose a few people right at the beginning but you take the gamble and know that eventually you’re going to win them back. You won’t lose the hard-core fans of the character, they already know who he is. We have to play to a broader audience than that. As an actor you have to be willing to do something like … back in Vancouver we used to call it a [nasty] burger. ’You gotta eat the [nasty] burger to get to the cookies.’ And yes, I want to write a cookbook about that. Deadpool goes in such a different direction than a superhero movie usually goes. It’s a nasty piece of work. It’s just based in so much emotional filth, completely. It’s like ‘Barfly‘ if it were a superhero movie. It sort of treads into the world of an emotionally damaged person. I always say that Deadpool is a guy in a highly militarized shame spiral. It's so different than the superhero movies to date, it departs so far from that. The comics are very inconsistent in the writing. All the different writers, different voices, but at the core of the character his heart is really interesting. He’s the funniest guy you’ll ever meet, too, and for me that’s exciting but it’s not as hard as capturing that moral flexibility, which is so important. He hasn’t really experienced the full spectrum of human emotion the way most people do.”

RBTL Recap Edition:
(aka Reading Between The Lines)

Intro to both characters:

He "knew of” Green Lantern, but didn’t follow "to know” Green Lantern; said he was even “cynical” about the film in the beginning, and even talked more about the Director than Green Lantern. However, he’s known and read about Deadpool since the 90’s and that it would "kill him" to see someone else play Deadpool.

How he got the roles:

Ryan seemed obsessed with playing Deadpool, all the way back since 2003 at least. However, RBTL (as well as his “cynical” view earlier), you could probably speculate that it seemed more like WB executives approaching Ryan for the Green Lantern role thanks in part because the effects department build the Green Lantern model based off Ryan's head before he was even casted.

Future of the films:

Seems Ryan is very eager to get the Deadpool film started. On Green Lantern however, he hinted that the movie sequels could possibly "move on" to another direction using other Green Lantern characters.

Who means more:

In a nutshell... I fell in love with Green Lantern, while I’ve always been passionate of Deadpool.

Green Lantern vs Deadpool:

"Green Lantern is a dead man. While I’m afraid, Deadpool will expire."     

****QUESTIONS****

Green Lantern fans:

Does this worry you about his committment to the future of this franchise?

Deadpool fans:
Does this give you hope that a movie will eventually be made despite his GL committments?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Primmaster64

lol

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheCerealKillz

Yes!

I was worried that, because of the GL movie, we were not gonna see the merc with a mouth on the big screen. Everything is good now.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Primmaster64
@TheCerealKillz: Deadpool wins
thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By thatlad

I think he's putting some discreet pressure on the studios to support a deadpool movie with him in the role.  
He's not out and out saying "make me deadpool or 'I'll quit GL" but he's putting it out there that there are ways for him to fit the deadpool movie into his schedule.  

I think he's given some good ideas out for the studio perspective by saying about the Kyle/John/Guy alternatives, if these comments gauge how open fans are to accepting different characters it may make the franchise more flexible (ugh I feel dirty using the f word) and mean more movies!!! 

aloe vera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By aloe vera

pssshhh

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By bingbangboom

I really think he wants to make Deadpool but it comes down to time and budget. If he could make it really cheap, sort of like Machete, then it is a no brainer. The studio would put it out because it has a big upside. If it is like 60 Mil to make the movie, then it might not get done. Remember, this is FOX not Marvel that is bank rolling the movie, even though Marvel has been throwing Deadpool into all sorts of comics. Best case would be that FOX gives Marvel back the Deadpool license to make the movie, Marvel finances it with FOX/Disney distrubuting which basically means Marvel will be licensing it's own character from FOX that it licensed to FOX originally.

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By csimon

he should of been Flash  not GL
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

He should do a movie about David Hasselhoff or William Shatner

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By velle37

Avatar image for metatron_da_don
Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

great interview, so Deadpool is as old as Blade: Trinity. How many years of dev. hell is that?
Not good news for all Marvel's other rumored projects.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan reynold is the next Joker and the next Batman

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By difficlus

It gives me hope for deadpool...

departed402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By departed402

I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but eh. Anyway, if you check out Green Lantern on imdb you can see that the part of John Stewart is casted. Stewart will be played by Nick Jones, so that may shed some light on possible sequels.
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cpt_linger
@csimon said:
" he should of been Flash  not GL "
nah, i think soo many others that could play a good flash. but i guess it can depend which flash as well, but not renolds, he should have just stayed as deadpool and someone else as GL, even if he looks the part.
Starkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Starkiller

So happy to hear that DP breaks the fourth wall in the movie...

soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soundbite

Jared Leto must have been auditioning for Kyle Rayner.  There's no way in hades he should have been in the running for Jordan.  Bradley Cooper I can see.  This whole Van Wilder version is gonna stink, especially with Lively as Carol Ferris.
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I'm surprised...that he kows who Kyle Rayner and Guy Gardner. He's got the look to play Hal Jordan but the direction that the character is heading is all wrong. He could play wally west easily. Haven't X-Men origins Wolverine but he seems like he could pull off Deadpool easily.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Larkin1388

I'll take Deadpool over Green Lantern any day.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buttersdaman000

If reynolds really cared he woulda turned down Green Lantern, knowing he wasnt right for the role, and worked harder for deadpools release.....

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Osiris1428
@departed402 said:
"
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but eh. Anyway, if you check out Green Lantern on imdb you can see that the part of John Stewart is casted. Stewart with be played by Nick Jones, so that may shed some light on possible sequels. "
So with the fact that he really didn't seem to care for GL, and the quote above, the next movie can satisfy the kids who grew up with John Steward as Green Lantern. But that movie may not be made because I doubt this movie will whet the appetites of the audience for a sequel.
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soundbite
@Osiris1428 said:
" @departed402 said:
"
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but eh. Anyway, if you check out Green Lantern on imdb you can see that the part of John Stewart is casted. Stewart with be played by Nick Jones, so that may shed some light on possible sequels. "
So with the fact that he really didn't seem to care for GL, and the quote above, the next movie can satisfy the kids who grew up with John Steward as Green Lantern. But that movie may not be made because I doubt this movie will whet the appetites of the audience for a sequel. "

Ed Norton's Incredible Hulk is on line 2.
departed402

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By departed402

In the previews it looks like they're making Jordan look fearful. Hal Jordan of course started in the Silver Age when character story arcs weren't overly important. The idea of a Lantern having to overcome fear came with Rayner. I see why they may want to use this plot device for the movie, but it doesn't fit the character of Hal Jordan. It's like they're making a Hal Jordan movie, but with Kyle's personality. This is all slightly disappointing.

Oh well, as a Green Lantern fan I'm just happy they're actually making a non-lowbudget film, and I imagine most people who don't follow Green Lantern too closely will enjoy the film. If it can gain new Green Lantern fans without absolutely raping the spirit of the series I'm all for it.