inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

Ben Acker and Ben Blacker, writers of KING: Flash Gordon #4, talks with writer Ron Marz about John Carter, Warlord of Mars #7, both currently on sale.

BEN ACKER & BEN BLACKER: How have you liked writing John Carter? We hear it's been a dream job. Have we been misled?

RON MARZ: Definitely a dream job for 12-year-old me. This is the series I've wanted to write since I read the original novels. More than anything else, those books made me want to become a writer. So as much as I love writing the series, I also feel like I'm repaying a karmic debt to Edgar Rice Burroughs.

BA & BB: This issue was a one-and-done. Do you like to follow up long arcs with this type of character driven story, and why?

RM: I wanted to start the series with a big arc that hopefully felt like the next novel in the original series, so we could set up the world and the cast as fully as possible. The next batch of issues will be one-and-dones or two- parters, so we give readers plenty of entry points for the storyline. I think the one-and-done story has become something of a rarity, unfortunately, as stories sprawl out to fill collected editions. There's something very satisfying about getting in, telling a complete story, and getting out, all in 22 pages.

BA & BB: You got one badass Dejah Thoris in your book. How's she to write?

RM: Well, you said it ... badass. People who aren't as familiar with Dejah probably focus on the way she's dressed, or maybe more properly undressed. But she's every bit the warrior that John Carter is, every bit as likely to split heads with a sword. I think this issue is a pretty good testament to that.

BA & BB: What do you think of the Dejah Thoris issues of Dynamite's Swords of Sorrow event?

RM: Honestly, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. It's not for lack of wanting to, it's simply a lack of time. Writing comics is the best job in the world, but once you're doing it for a living, there's less time for actually reading comics. But I intend to jump into Swords of Sorrow as soon as I get a chance, especially the Dejah/Irene Adler team-up. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan as well, so that's right in my sweet spot.

No Caption Provided

BA & BB: How much world-building do you feel like you get to do when the source material for John Carter stories is so rich? How close do you stay to what came before?

RM: Burroughs built the world, I'm only playing in it. I'll add to it here and there, like the Earth-born villain from the first arc. But I'm not doing any reinventing or reimagining (which is a word I frankly hate anyway). It's not needed, and I wouldn't ever presume to place my imagination anywhere in the same league as that of Burroughs. He laid the foundation and built the mansion. I'm just wandering around the place like a delighted 11-year-old.

Check out JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS #7, now on sale. Also, we have an extended preview for you below!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I always feel like Deja Thoris should be redder

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I always pictured her as looking more like Red She Hulk

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

I always pictured her as looking more like Red She Hulk

Yeah agreed, in the comics she always looks like she has bad sunburn.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

I love the guy that did the cover. Always forget his name.

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

KnightofSteel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very underrated series. Ron Marz is doing a terrific job with this. Previous runs of this book have been average at best, but Marz is doing something right here. Sadly my local comic shop barely orders any copies - except for me - due to lack of interest.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Each of those boobs are the size of his head.