Richard Rider

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I read somewhere that ever since Disney bought Marvel, there would be no chance of Richard Rider ever coming back onto the paper (because of his name).

Now, if that isn't ridiculous, I don't know what is. Nova is one of the coolest superheroes that I've ever seen in my life and for Disney to come out and say that his name is why he's not returning is pure bullish!t.

I honestly hope there's still faith for Richard. Hopefully to return as a hero or a villain, either or would be fascinating.

What do you think?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

What?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wait, what? What's about his name that they don't like? Oh wait I just got it. Huh. Well I guess.

The real reason why he shouldn't come back even though he's been a great character, is that it would cheapen his epic sacrifice and we've had too many epic sacrifices cheapened in comics. It'd be nice if this one stuck for Richard even if the root cause is silly hand-wringing over a pun fit for a third grade lunch room.

Sam Alexander is a decent character and I want to give him a chance to carry the banner as long as he can.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PowerHerc

This is really too bad.

Richard Rider is one of my Top 10 Favorite Marvel Superheroes.

I'll miss him.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: yeah he couldn't of gone a better way IMO. Especially against Thanos, of whom is my second favorite with Nova coming out on top. I think they should bring him back tho, just imagine Richard as a villain of some sort.. The Cancerverse Nova force..

I mean.. They did have a Novas helmet in Age of Ultron

Toa_Manaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disney...WTF!! really, really, REALLY, (Of all the ridiculous excuses, his name?)

Richard Rider is one of my favorite characters of all time, in my top three alongside Cyclops and Nightwing...

However I do concede that bringing him back would cheapen his sacrifice...(Although selfishly I would be happy for him to return tomorrow)

I am very nervous about the new Nova, and the fact that he is a teenager makes me groan. (I am averse to teenage angst)

However @fodigg is the new series worth picking up? Am I being too harsh?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

What's so bad about the Richard Rider name?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@iragexcudder: is this something you read from an actual source or just from random people on Internet forums who speculate that is the reason?

It could very well be the reason but I have never seen it used by anyone except for forum users. I think it's one of those things that enough people are saying often enough that others are taking it as truth as opposed to just speculation.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Dick is a nickname for people named Richard. Then consider his last name is "Rider."

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

However @fodigg is the new series worth picking up? Am I being too harsh?

It doesn't have the scope of the Nova books from Annihilation forward, he's not rebuilding the corps or saving the galaxy, but I'm digging it. I don't mind the teen hero thing though.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#12  Edited By cosmicallyaware1

BRING BACK THE ONE TRUE NOVA = RICHARD RIDER!!!! If something is not broke, then why "fix" it? Nova Prime and the stories revolved around him were excellent. Sam Alexander = *meh*...........

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BRING BACK THE ONE TRUE NOVA = RICHARD RIDER!!!! If something is not broke, then why "fix" it? Nova Prime and the stories revolved around him were excellent. Sam Alexander = *meh*...........

I completely agree. I've been reading Sam, he's even on my pull list. I think it's coming off my list though. He's been very uninteresting. He's pretty much a young Peter Parker clone with a Nova helmet and an unoriginal origin/story. Rich's character kind of started like that too I guess, but he developed into my favorite Marvel character of all time when DnA took control of writing him.

I think Sam will be able to shine with the New Warriors series starting up though. He will be better in a team then as a solo character as his character hasn't developed enough to hold his own series. I'm hoping that when he joins the New Warriors, Rich will return to continue as the star or the new Nova ongoing series. It's kind of dumb that Starlord, Thanos, and Drax are all alive and kicking, but Nova is still dead/missing.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kidchipotle

@arturocalakayvee: dick rider! Lol. I can't believe I never thought this before.

@arturocalakayvee said:

Dick is a nickname for people named Richard. Then consider his last name is "Rider."

That totally went over my head. I wasn't even thinking "sexual." Thanks guys.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@arturocalakayvee: dick rider! Lol. I can't believe I never thought this before.

@powerherc said:

@arturocalakayvee said:

That totally went over my head. I wasn't even thinking "sexual." Thanks guys.

I never noticed the possibility of scandalizing the character's name until this thread.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The thing is they should have never have Rich die. While his death was heroic and everything I would for a hero to be like when they did it was to premature of them to kill Richard. He had just reached his popularity and had so many story possibility to get to. I can't tell you how badly I feel Rich should be taking part right now in Infinity it's a comics event for crying out loud! While Sam is the new Nova I refuse to read any comics involving him becuz he is not the nova we need. As for Rich coming back I feel that his time will come back maybe something involving world mind being able to reboot it self or find a new host and trying to bring back the Nova force and needing to get Rich back.

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: this is an actual source. Someone from Disney was talking about it and they said they wouldn't be bringing Richard back.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iragexcudder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Iragexcudder

@cap10nate: is that article a 100% joke? Because I saw an actual news interview with the same guy stating that Richard will not be back while Disney is still in the picture.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iragexcudder:

That's the only thing that I have found. Given that it talks about Walt Disney's frozen head, I will assume it is a joke until I see the actual interview that it was derived before adding in the jokes.

Toa_Manaia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: Thanks mate, I'll pick out up for a while. Give you my thoughts on it later...

musim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People, Disney bought Marvel in 2009. Thanos Imperative started in 2010. The article is entirely a joke. Richard Rider's nic-name has always been Rich. Marvel vs Capcom 3 came out in 2011.

For some reason Marvel wants us to love NINO and forget about Rider. Maybe they'll change their minds. Maybe the character will be gone forever.

My hope is the GOTG film will be so popular Marvel will want to resurrect all their old cosmic titles and characters. Also I can't imagine NINO has much legs left in him if his books are already down to 37K. Not sure if I know more than 1 person that's a fan of NINO at that. My biggest worry is that they include Richard Rider in the GOTG movie and kill him or make him an old man, setting up a NINO film.