Review - Star Wars 2014 Sampler

silentbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By silentbat

So the new Star Wars books are almost here. We already have our first new canon story in the form of Son of Dathomir but these are where a bulk of the new story will come from.

I will leave my short review points below but above I go more in depth with what I think of the new books thus far. However the video is a tad-Spoilerly but just for the first chapter of each book.

A NEW DAWN

It's pretty solid. I think it defines the characters rather well. As a "teaser" it doesn't work very well. The "big event" was very compelling but it didn't inspire me to want to know what will happen next. All and all, it was interesting, especially this Denetrius Vidian character. I wonder who will actually be in the Rebels series and who will not.

TARKIN

Definitely my least favorite of all four from it's first showing. I never cared much for Tarkin but I do like the author, James Luceno. His writing style is very detailed and I feel we often can pull a lot of Star Wars information out of his writing. Also the "big event" in this one was not so intriguing to me.

HEIR TO THE JEDI

This one I look forward to. It takes places in the first person perspective of Luke Skywalker, which should be very interesting indeed. It's good to see Luke overall innocence being retained (as it should) between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. However, this author Kevin Hearne, who is new to the Star Wars mythos panders far too much to Star Wars fans. He makes too much reference to previous lines in the series: "go to tachi station to pick up some power converters" or "you will never find a more wrechet hide of scum and villainy" etc. It just rubbed me the wrong way. When authors try to hard to harken back it feels more like fan fiction than its own stand alone novel.

LORDS OF THE SITH

This is the one I wait for with salivation. It follows Darth Vader and Darth Sidious and man does it have a great opening. Essentially it is half a chapter of Darth Vader being a BAMF. It's good to see Vader not being this weakling or feeling guilt for what he did in Episode III, he is fully committed to the dark side and he does it with such awesomeness.

All around I look forward to all the books. Unlike most, I'm actually excited to finally have everything be canon without there being a separate EU.