Review Round-Up: 5/21/15

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Each week, the staff of Comic Vine reviews a whole bunch of books. What we like to do is sum up everything for you here and give you a few extra, quick reviews. What did we think about this week's books and television shows? Find out now!

Quick Reviews

No Caption Provided

ARCHIE VS. PREDATOR #2

The first issue was interesting. Clearly that was just a warm up. If you’re looking for some serious violence and a high body count, this issue gives you what you want. With the set up established bringing a Predator into the world of Archie, we’re seeing that no one is safe. Alex de Campi isn’t messing around. This may be an Archie comic but when the Predator comes blasting, Jason Millet gets to add a lot of red to Fernando Ruiz’s art. There are some moments were the mix of the tone feels out of place. It’s almost hard to see some of your favorite Archie characters so brutally killed. But that’s what we signed up for. The big question is, will anyone be left by the time the miniseries ends? This series is a strange delight to read. (By Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided

DAREDEVIL #15.1

The point one issues continue to give us random stories within a regular series. Originally they were meant to provide a new jumping on point for readers but that’s been long forgotten. In the case of this DAREDEVIL issue, we see Matt, Kirsten, and Foggy discussing Matt’s life as Foggy is ghost-writing an autobiography for Matt. That premise allows for two tales from Daredevil’s past. The first is written by Marc Guggenheim with art by Peter Krause and the second is written and drawn by Chris Samnee. Matthew Wilson provides gorgeous colors for both, mixing things up for the styles of the artist. The stories don’t really push the character or series forward but it does provide some fun and interesting DD stories. There is an intro and bridge piece by Mark Waid and Samnee but there is no conclusion. The second story simply ends, giving the entire issue a strange and sudden ending. It’s definitely worth picking up if your a fan of DD and the creators involved. (By Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided

DEADPOOL’S SECRET SECRET WARS #1

This is a SECRET WARS tie in I was really looking forward to since it doesn’t deal with the current Secret Wars but the original 1984 story. Cullen Bunn reunites with Deadpool to throw in the Merc with a Mouth into crossover event from a time we didn’t have half a dozen going on at the same time. There’s a bizarre feeling as you see the original scenes recreated with Deadpool included adding his own commentary to the moment. There is no explanation as to why he’s there. Do we really need one? There is the slight odd feeling how he seems to know everyone but they don’t quite know who he is, probably because he wasn’t around in 1984. Matteo Lolli’s art fits the story nicely. There are times the Deadpool humor falls a little short or just becomes too much. It’s still a fun read. We also get a “bonus round” with a look back MARVEL SUPER HERO CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS by Bunn and Jacopo Camagni. Prepare yourself for the wackiness. (By Tony Guerrero)

No Caption Provided

SECRET WARS BATTLEWORLD #1

This Secret Wars book offers up two pretty rad stories for the price of one. First and foremost, the team behind NAILBITER (Joshua Williamson and Mike Henderson) puts together a really fantastic story about Doctor Strange, whose soul is attached to the Punisher. What's this character doing? Killing folks. The overall story is exceptionally rad and I'd love to see these two working on a Marvel book together, but only if NAILBITER is no longer a thing. We also get more awesomeness and tons of M.O.D.O.K. from Ed Brisson and Scott Hepburn, with Matt Milla on colors. It's a quick, silly, and pretty funny story that features multiple over-sized heads floating around. There's nothing more entertaining than a giant baby MODOK flying around. Overall, this issue is a ton of fun, and while it adds a bit to the whole Battleworld, it's not a necessary read. However, it is worth your time. (By Mat Elfring)

No Caption Provided

CONVERGENCE HAWKMAN #2

There are a few things that this CONVERGENCE issue did pretty well. Jeff Parker does provide a decently fun adventure featuring both Hawkman and Hawkgirl with some action sequences that hearken back to the Silver Age of DC comics, and at times the art from Tim Truman, Enrique Alcatena, and John Kalisz nail it. However, the overall issue just fails to keep the reader's attention as while it's great to see these versions of these characters again, it's just not a great book and by this time, there's already a feeling that CONVERGENCE has overstayed it's welcome and it's going to take something really special to get it out of the rut. (By Mat Elfring)

No Caption Provided

Television/Movie

No Caption Provided

Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Max: Fury Road is two hours full of weird and thrilling craziness. On paper, the overall plot is pretty thin, but the way it's all presented is phenomenal. You're thrown into an impressively creative world and, in its own strange way, it's gorgeous and hits you with a ton of fun and exciting mayhem. Go see Mad Max: Fury Road, people. It's a lovely way to spend two hours.

Check out the full review here!

The Flash Episode 123: "Fast Enough"

Overall, it's not the best episode of the season, but it still stands out as a great one. The biggest problem was just the repetition of Barry going back and forth between everyone, wondering if he should go to the past or not. The payoff is really in the second half though and while the actual ending was quite bizarre, it worked and the overall episode was a pretty big success. I cannot wait for next season now.

Review Round-Up

No Caption Provided

A-FORCE #1

This book was pretty much exactly what I wanted and hoped for. Too many times the female heroes in the Marvel Universe get overlooked. Marguerite Bennett and G. Willow Wilson have created a natural feeling world. It's easy to cry out that having just female heroes is a gimmick but it all simply works here. And it works in a great way. You'll find yourself wanting to know more of the region and the relationship and connections each character has with one another. There's just a wonderful vibe going on. Jorge Molina's art and Laura Martin and Matt Milla's colors add to that. With actual ties to the main SECRET WARS book, this doesn't feel like an isolated story done just for the heck of it. You get a sense that it is part of the bigger story. This is our chance to explore the specific region closely and you'll be glad you got the chance. I'm so ready for the next issue now.

PLANET HULK #1

PLANET HULK is a strong addition to the line of SECRET WARS tie in series. Sam Humphries is taking the idea of Planet Hulk to a different level. By mixing some elements from a different region, we'll get to see a gladiator Captain America and Devil Dinosaur enter the story for some guaranteed big action. Marc Laming's art with Jordan Boyd's colors fit the story perfectly. The addition of a back up Planet Hulk world origin by Greg Pak and Takeshi Miyazawa is a great added bonus. Things are really going to heat up next issue. PLANET HULK looks to be a smashing success.

CONVERGENCE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #2

As far as this goes for a Guy Gardner story, it's awesome. It's a really fun issue, even though it doesn't live up to the first part of this two-part story. Guy's journey is what fans will love and they'll really be rooting for him. The issue does start off in the middle of a fight, which could make readers feel like they missed something and the overall issue does feel rushed because of restraints for this book, but overall, this was a really fun read and if you loved the first issue, you should check this one out at well. It's a fun read for fans, but just an alright book overall.

No Caption Provided

WYTCHES #6

It's hard to digest the ending of this first arc. This ending has definitely given the series a pretty big turning point. Twists in stories, especially horror stories, are common. Scott Snyder manages to pull one that punches you in the gut. Snyder, along with Jock on art and Hollingsworth on color, have taken us to a dark and creepy world. With a surprising and satisfying conclusion to the first arc, we can't help but wonder how we'll managed until the next arc begins. Be sure you have a happy place to go to after reading this book.

SPIDER-VERSE #1

This is a very strong opening outing that manages to introduce a lot of characters while never being overwhelming, and that’s very, very impressive. The visuals might not hit 100% of the time, but trading some inconsistency for a sense of real uniqueness is a bargain it’s easy to make and even easier to appreciate. This is a great introduction to some characters it’s truly good to see again in a world that seems genuinely interesting and full of a ton of a potential.

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #27

This is a great issue for jumping back in on what the Guardians of the Galaxy are up to, and while it looks like next issue will launch right into Secret Wars, this is a great stopping point that will hopefully be picked up after the fact. There’s some confusion and a few panels that don’t look quite right, but those are easily eclipsed by the quality of dialog and characters and the self-contained, interesting narrative that sets up plenty for future issues.

No Caption Provided

ULTIMATE END #1

ULTIMATE END wasn't what I was expecting, but nevertheless, it was a really fun issue that does tie into what's going on in SECRET WARS. If you're a fan of the Ultimate Universe, this is really something you need to check out. Even if you've never read an Ultimate book before, this book is very new reader friendly.

CONVERGENCE BATMAN & THE OUTSIDERS #2

Considering the limitations this issue is working within, it pulls off an entertaining, engaging story with a great economy of space. The ending is a giant cliffhanger, which is both a good thing and a bad, but even with the cliffhanger, it actually feels satisfying and complete. There’s not a lot of character or story, but the action and dialog are both strong enough to make this an easy recommendation, particularly to fans of this permutation of Batman and the Outsiders. Even with little prior knowledge, there’s really only one large, OMAC-shaped hole in the basic understanding of the issue, so it’s still an easy recommendation.

GHOSTED #20

There's an overall feeling of joy and sadness flowing through me as one of my favorite on-going series comes to a close after 20 issues. However, this book has a natural ending and doesn't feel forced at all. The book really has come full circle and while I would love to see more with these characters, especially with where Nina is left at the end of this series, this last issue rounds out the series exceptionally well. I highly recommend checking this issue out and buying it all in trade.

No Caption Provided

UNCANNY X-MEN #34

Even though it feels abrupt, this is still a taut, evenly paced (riiiight up until the last few pages) issue that leaves the reader wanting more, but not unsatisfied in the least. It’s great to see Bendis going back to Dazzler, particularly in the wake of her recent transformation and the tendency of X-Books to lose track of their characters, what with the massive cast that each book tends to sport, making this catch-up even more satisfying. Anka and Gracia’s art makes what could have been a dry, or perfunctory issue bristle with tension and life and the result is one of the better standalone issues this book has received in a long time. The new recruits are in an interesting place by issue’s end and it makes one genuinely curious as to what’s to come in their future.

MAD MAX: FURY ROAD: NUX & IMMORTAN JOE #1

If you've watched Mad Max: Fury Road and are already having withdrawals, this comic can help feed your hunger. Set as a prequel, the issue is divided into two parts to give the backstory to the two characters, Nux and Immortan Joe. The movie did a great job in introducing the characters but this comic does help to give you a little more. Chances are, if you've seen it, you're already thinking about watching it again. If you haven't seen the movie, as a prequel, the comic is accessible as well. The art is what you've come to expect from a Vertigo book. The vibe and atmosphere from the Mad Max world has been captured. Look for this comic if you need or want more from Mad Max. You'll definitely want to check out the next issue as well. This is how movie tie in comics should be done with this level of quality.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #2

Issue #2 is here and BLOODSHOT REBORN might be one of the strongest starts to a series at Valiant. I am in love with this series, and as I mentioned last month, this is not one of my favorite characters. Lemire, Suayan, and Baron have delivered one of the weirdest yet most compelling pieces to come out of Valiant and I'm in for the long haul. Ray's journey is something you just cannot turn away from and his story has this realism to it as it's more about struggle than a dude who shoots things in the face. I cannot recommend this book enough. Pick it up.

STAR WARS #5

The saga continues with some separate adventures with our heroes. The idea of Luke returning to Tatooine is great and he's being set up for a dangerous situation. Han and Leia are getting the chance to bicker some more, as we would expect. Jason Aaron is pushing the development of these characters in this three-year gap between Episodes IV and V and it's a treat for fans. The action is toned down a little but it allows for the story to grow and for more set up. John Cassaday's are is full of detail as he captures the look of the world and adds in loads of expressions to give all a more live action feel. If you think you know everything there is to know about STAR WARS, you must not be reading this series.

That's it for this week's Review Round-Up. We'll see you again next Thursday!

theMightyMODOK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

These are awesome! Thanks for doing them every single week.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I hope they make an Archie meets Final Destination comic. Seems like the way they're going. X_X

Flicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm going to sound like a broken record, but I really like this feature. Thanks guys.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CrystalMaster

Yet again, i like how these let you get to comics you couldn't get too for full reviews, very good way to expand.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Well Im skipping Daredevil issue

~MiB

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

filler issue that isn't really worth reading. I'm just waiting for the next issue after the cliffhanger.

~MiB

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Thanks, really enjoying these review round ups.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 owie  Moderator

Daredevil was fun, but I agree the ending was abrupt. Not a necessary issue, but enjoyable.

A-Force was not that great in my opinion. I got it for my daughter, who I get anything that looks like it will have positive female characters. She likes quirky stuff, but this was honestly kind of cheesy and boringly straightforward to my mind, so I figured she wouldn't care for it, but she liked it anyway. I thought it came off as generic What-If stuff, due to its Secret Wars context (which I stupidly hadn't realized ahead of time), and find it hard to care about the characters since I am assuming none of them will exist after this event is over. I'd rather just read about the characters that actually have existed for all these years. As my comics store manager put it, it came off as too much like Wonder Woman's island, kind of a generic copy of a female utopia. Also--She Hulk is the leader? When there are women there with way more leadership experience and wisdom and strategic ability? Also, why make this version of Dazzler fly? Just because they can? Anyway obviously it didn't do a lot for me.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm very fond of Williamson's work but I didn't click with Battleworld. I enjoyed secret wars but the tie ins are losing me.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#13 inferiorego  Staff

I'm very fond of Williamson's work but I didn't click with Battleworld. I enjoyed secret wars but the tie ins are losing me.

I had a feeling it wouldn't tie in with anything else, so I just took it as a "What If" book.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

The Flash was fast enough to get a good review.