Retro Comics - The Skipper

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Recently, I have been editing the wiki like a woman possessed, and I have uncovered more than one hidden British gem tucked away in the quieter, more neglected areas of CV. But there is one that caught my attention in particular, and it has tickled me so much I just have to write about it.

The Skipper.

No Caption Provided

Skipper is a British comic that was published in the UK by DC Thomson (better known for titles such as Beano and Dandy), and was first released in 1930. It is very much of its time. Skipper was a boys comic featuring lots of MEN doing incredibly MANLY things - except this is 1930's Britain, so for "manly", read "fantastically ridiculous and over the top". Bond style. Want to see a man straddling a plane in mid air while he saws through it? You want Skipper. Want to see a kangaroo punch a bear right in the face? SKIPPER.

I mentioned the monkey is also Sheriff, right? Seems important O_O
I mentioned the monkey is also Sheriff, right? Seems important O_O

The comic delivers all this without a hint of irony, and then some. In fact, during its run Skipper gained a fair amount of notoriety thanks to its infamous covers, which often depicted scenes of violence. When the protagonists aren't wrestling, playing some form of competitive sport, shooting, scalping or torturing each other (or leaping from things that are on fire), they fight lions, tigers, alligators and bears. Yes, you have the occasional "soft story" - usually involving something along the lines of a schoolboy who accidentally thwarts an attempted robbery, or a monkey being duped by a charlatan fortune teller into paying for a bogus fortune (see right) - but even these are a reminder of how different the world of comics really used to be.

Even the recurring characters, such as Red Rock Baxter the cowboy, Captain Zoom, and Big Bad Wolfe, are of another world, almost. About as stereotypically male as you can get, the heroes of Skipper know no fear, and do not flinch in the face of danger - be it from the Nazis, the local natives, or giant butterflies with an appetite for human destruction.

Of course, there are certain reminders here of why the world has moved on so much. In particular, the depictions of people of other races is arguably offensive at times. But there is a sort of cultural naivety here, an innocence within the melodrama. Every issue is like a tiny action film. Yes, it's cheesy. Yes, its dated. But somehow it is all the more entertaining for it.

I would never make an argument that Skipper was the best comic in the world. But what I loved about it is that it acts as a charming little time capsule, a window into another time. And if you ever want to see a grown man chokeslam a tiger, there are far worse places to look than this.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By turoksonofstone

Love the Old cover art. 278 and 297 in particular.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@turoksonofstone said:

Love the Old cover art. 278 and 297 in particular.

It's a very distinctive look, isn't it? That was what caught my eye first. It just looks so different to the sleek (and often digitally produced or enhanced) art we are used to nowadays :)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pyrogram

@BumpyBoo: Ohh nice find! Cool of you to write about this :D

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#4  Edited By RazzaTazz

@BumpyBoo: Oh cool, did you find a place to read these from? (by that I mean are they public domain?)

Avatar image for quirky_anecdotes
quirky_anecdotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By quirky_anecdotes

I'm so amazed at that first cover. Like did he jump from another plane onto that plane to saw the tail off?

Was he sitting on the tail since the plane took off? How has the pilot not noticed him back there?

Also. Even though he has a parachute , what's his plan here? I mean he has no idea when he's going to jump off the plane so he really has no idea where he's going to land.

This is just so mind boggling to me.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By wildvine

I curious what his end plan was. : P

As always, you have perked my interest to try something new. Excellent Blog.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@RazzaTazz said:

@BumpyBoo: Oh cool, did you find a place to read these from? (by that I mean are they public domain?)

I am not sure whether they are or not. Some of the comics I've been looking at - like Polly Pigtails - are, and I've been reading those online, but luckily I managed to track down some real life copies of these. A couple belonged to friends of the family, and I have managed to pick a few issues up too :)

@wildvine said:

I curious what his end plan was. : P

As always, you have perked my interest to try something new. Excellent Blog.

Thanks you, dear ^_^

@quirky_anecdotes said:

I'm so amazed at that first cover. Like did he jump from another plane onto that plane to saw the tail off?

Was he sitting on the tail since the plane took off? How has the pilot not noticed him back there?

Also. Even though he has a parachute , what's his plan here? I mean he has no idea when he's going to jump off the plane so he really has no idea where he's going to land.

This is just so mind boggling to me.

Hehe! Exactly, this is why I love it so much. Just....WHAT??? XD

@Pyrogram said:

@BumpyBoo: Ohh nice find! Cool of you to write about this :D

Eeeek thanks buddy :D

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RazzaTazz
@BumpyBoo: Oh there are a few public domain sites that I have found and they can be useful to find the old stuff.  
BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@RazzaTazz said:

@BumpyBoo: Oh there are a few public domain sites that I have found and they can be useful to find the old stuff.

Yeah, only recently discovered one or two, I had no idea :) Having a lot of fun going through some of them.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RazzaTazz
@BumpyBoo: I was going to work through some obscure series for the wiki but I kind of forgot about it.  Wartime Romances was going to be my main contribution.  
BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@RazzaTazz said:

@BumpyBoo: I was going to work through some obscure series for the wiki but I kind of forgot about it. Wartime Romances was going to be my main contribution.

Yes, I have noticed that one. Some of the old romance comics are just adorable ^_^

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RazzaTazz
@BumpyBoo: I read whatever ones I can get my hands on.  Some of the advice in the advice columns is pretty weird as well.