Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Veshark

Out of Time

No Caption Provided

In expectation of the upcoming Captain America: The Winter Soldier movie, I went back and reread the movie's primary source of inspiration - the original 13-issue arc by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, & Michael Lark. It was basically a way of hyping myself up for the movie, and a chance to go through one of my favorite Cap stories, and look back to where it all started. Without this book here, we wouldn't have such an awesome MCU movie today, and the Marvel U would be poorer without the resurrection of Bucky Barnes.

I also took it as an opportunity to look at the story arc one last time, before the new movie comes out and changes everyone's expectations. Because let's be honest, once Cap 2 hits North America, and once the character of the Winter Soldier hits the 'mainstream'....there'll be changes. Now I've already seen the movie myself, but below are just some of my thoughts on this classic Cap story, that I wrote a couple of weeks back.

Enjoy.

Steve’s Personality

No Caption Provided

One of the first things I noticed when I first read this story arc was that this was a very different Steve then we’re used to. This isn’t the friendly, confident leader slash inspiring role model of the Avengers. As Red Skull puts it in #1 – this is Cap at his lowest point. Throughout the Winter Soldier arc, we hardly ever see Steve crack a smile or make a joke.

The Avengers have disbanded, Aleksander Lukin is constantly manipulating Cap’s emotions, and his oldest friend is now a brainwashed killer. We’re dealing with a very grim and furious Captain America here. Steve is basically at his breaking point, and I feel like his mood fits the darker tone of the arc to a tee. While Steve’s definitely still in-character, it’s a refreshing change to see a more human side of the usually-infallible icon.

Tone

No Caption Provided

And speaking of the darker tone…one of the best aspects of the Winter Soldier arc was definitely the more grounded approach that it took to Captain America. A lot of fans describe Brubaker’s run as being ‘political’ or ‘espionage’, and while those terms are accurate to an extent (though probably more fitting for say…Rucka’s Checkmate), I don’t think they paint quite the right picture.

Basically, what Brubaker did for Cap was what Fraction and JMS did for Iron Man/Thor. Remade the Captain America title’s identity with a more modern sensibility. Brubaker’s handling of Cap is very similar to his work on Gotham Central: he doesn’t neglect the more fantastical aspects of the superhero world, but he grounds it with a more real-world approach.

That’s why the Red Skull’s master plan isn’t treated like some insane supervillain scheme, but an urban terrorism plot. That’s why Cap is going up against bombs and assassins, instead of fighting Armadillo or Batroc. That’s why the Skull wears a suit, why Crossbones wears a vest, and why the AIM grunts carry rifles instead of sci-fi lasers.

The tone that the arc had was actually so consistent that I was jarred out of the story for a second when I saw the flying car in #3. Brubaker and co. don’t ignore or try to whitewash the goofier parts of the MU – in fact they even embrace it at points, like the giant mecha in #13. But they’re smart enough to maintain a tonal quality that both fits the story’s content, and gives the title its own unique setting.

Color of Cap’s Costume

No Caption Provided

Did anyone else notice that the coloring for the blue parts of Cap’s costume changed after about four issues? Cap’s uniform started out with a darker navy blue, but over time, the colorist began using a lighter shade that would remain for the rest of Brubaker’s run. The shift is subtle, and I didn’t notice it at first, but I have to say I actually far prefer the darker blue. It was a stronger hue that simply made Cap stand out more on the page. The navy blue gave off a more visually-striking impression of the character. Just read the train fight from #1, then compare it to the later issues, and you’ll see what I mean.

Red Skull

No Caption Provided

Outside of Steve Rogers, the next character that I think Brubaker has the most impressive grasp of is the Red Skull. Seriously, I feel like Brubaker’s depiction of Johann Schmidt is easily one of the best portrayals of a modern comic villain. This is how you write a hero-villain relationship, and this is how the Red Skull should be written.

Throughout the entire 13-issue arc, the Skull is just a complete asshole with his plan. He has a long-term goal to accomplish, sure; but every move he makes is just one more opportunity to mess with Cap. From unlocking Steve’s memories, to making him relive the day Bucky died, to vandalizing those graves…he knows his archenemy so intimately that he can push every single one of Steve’s buttons. He knows how to make Cap angry, how to make him lose his edge and fall for every trap.

And the best part is the reveal: you don’t even know that it’s been the Red Skull doing all these things all along until the last page! This arc (and the Death of Captain America) really exemplifies why the Red Skull is one of the most devious and dangerous plotters in the Marvel U.

Train Fight

No Caption Provided

Brubaker himself once said that the opening train fight in #1 was one of his favorites. And as far as first fights for first issues go – it doesn’t get any better than this one. I think this opening sequence really sets the tone for Captain America, and sells the book to the reader in a way. Right off the bat: we see that Cap isn’t going up against supervillains – he’s fighting a domestic terrorist cell.

One might say that the battle is too mundane or not flashy enough to draw a reader in, but I think that’s what makes it work. Cap fighting terrorists on a speeding train is like an action scene straight out of Die Hard, and you instantly get the sense of the kind of tone that this book is going for. Epting’s choreography is beautiful and perfectly-executed: from the opening panoramic shot, to that one panel of Cap’s gritted teeth…this is sequential storytelling at its finest. Every page flows so smoothly, and even with minimal speed-lines, Epting’s able to portray the dynamism of Cap. This is how Cap should be drawn: like a force of nature.

WWII Flashbacks

No Caption Provided

Every good Cap story has one of these. Now I know some might argue that tying Cap to this same war has become redundant at this point, but personally, I dig a good flashback to Cap’s time in the war. It probably helps that I have a bit of a historical interest in this time period, but really, it’s a fundamental part of the character. With Cap saving the world from the likes of Thanos and the Builders these days, it’s nice to get a reminder of Steve’s roots. This was where Rogers really became the icon that he is today – in the fires of the most important war in human history.

Michael Lark’s awesome artwork certainly helps too. And Brubaker is able to seamlessly tie these flashbacks into the larger story; he uses them to expand on the villains’ motivations, or to drop little Cap factoids to help newer readers along. Look at the brief flashback in #2, which instantly tells the reader what Cap’s relationship to the Skull is. Or the one in #4 where Brubaker fills us in on obscure Golden Age characters like the Patriot & Spirit of ’76.

But the best flashback sequence is definitely the one that fills up all of #5; which not only gives us the backstory on Vasily Karpov and Aleksander Lukin, but also marks the debut of Brubaker’s reinvention of Bucky as a trained killer. This definitely set the stage for what would later come in the Winter Soldier.

Brubaker’s Writing

No Caption Provided

At first glance, Brubaker’s writing doesn’t immediately strike you as being the most impressive. He doesn’t have the witty dialogue of Fraction, or the technobabble of Ellis. Or the summer-action moments of Millar, the prose-like detail of JMS, or the high-concept ideas of Morrison. I’ll admit, on my first read-through of Winter Soldier, I didn’t really understand all the acclaim that the writer was getting.

But as I read the same story arc over and over again, and pieced the entire picture together – I finally understood what Brubaker’s strengths were. Yeah, his dialogue is often blunt and to the point, and his characters tend to lack a certain comic-book panache. But where Brubaker really excels is in telling a focused story. Narrative is where Brubaker truly hits his stride.

Epting’s Covers

No Caption Provided

There are artists that can do great interiors, but are generally more underwhelming when it comes to covers (see: Bryan Hitch). And on the flipside, there are also artists with fantastic cover renditions, while their actual pages are lackluster (see: Don Figueroa). But damn if Steve Epting isn’t the best of both worlds. You could not have picked a better artist for Brubaker’s revamping of Cap – Epting’s pencils and chalk-like inks just have this fantastic air of verisimilitude that fit the tone to a tee. He’s certainly come a long way since his Avengers days.

But it’s his covers in this story arc that really stand out for me. Epting’s Winter Soldier covers are easily some of the most well-designed and eye-catching pinups for a superhero book. Look at the cover for #11 – a simple yet effective image of the Winter Soldier with a collage of old Bucky comics in the background. Or the two-cover combo of #6, where one cover has Cap while a variant has a mirror reflection of the same cover with Bucky.

But my favorite Winter Soldier cover is without a doubt, #4. I mean, just look at that. A dramatic shot of Cap standing over an Arlington grave, with his shield in hand and rows of graves for fallen soldiers stretching out to the distance. This cover is easily one of the most iconic Cap images; even to the point that it seems to have been the inspiration for a The First Avenger poster. Epting also goes on to do more top-notch covers for the rest of Brubaker’s run. Highlights include #16-17 with Crossbones & Sin, as well as the great three-page combo from #43-45.

Cap & France

No Caption Provided

I guess special mention should be given to the moment in #3, where Cap and Sharon have a night off in Paris, and he tells her about his time in France during WWII. The dialogue in question is when Cap talks about how it really galls him whenever his fellow Americans dismiss the French as being cowards. As even though their government capitulated, the French people and the Resistance movement never stopped resisting the Third Reich.

I always enjoy the integration of real-world history into comics. As long as the subject in question is treated with the appropriate respect; it’s a good way to drop some gems on readers, and also gives the comic a little more gravitas.

But I suppose what makes this moment so notable is the fact that it’s probably a direct response to the infamous ‘A for France’ moment from The Ultimates. Though this issue was released about a year after Ultimates #13, I think it was definitely a great way for Brubaker to illustrate the difference between 1610-Cap and 616-Cap. Ultimate Cap’s a soldier, but 616-Cap is an icon. Mainstream Steve is the hero you look up to, and a worldly man of many experiences. He’s a little more thoughtful, and perhaps more mature than his alternate-U counterpart as well.

James Buchanan 'Bucky' Barnes

No Caption Provided

And I guess there's no Winter Soldier review that's complete without a mention of the star himself - Bucky Barnes. I've always felt that Buck was the real protagonist of Captain AmericaVol. 5. Steve is only around for the first 20 or so issues, but from the start to the end of the volume, it was Bucky who was the constant centerpiece of each story arc. Brubaker's run began with the resurrection of Captain America's sidekick as the Winter Soldier, and came full-circle when Buck inherited his mentor's title.

To date, Bucky's resurrection is probably my favorite of all the death retcons in comic-book history. There used to be a saying that there were only three characters in mainstream superhero books that would never be resurrected - Uncle Ben, Buck, Jason Todd....so far, only Uncle Ben's still in the grave haha. But unlike Todd's comeback in Under the Red Hood, Bucky's resurrection fit in seamlessly into Brubaker's run, and he was really fleshed out as a character of his own overtime. It probably helps that not much was done with him in the Golden Age up until the 2000s, so there was a blank canvas for Brubaker to reinvent here.

Brubaker rewrote Buck's history, gave him an identity and a personality, and came up with a plausible reason for Buck to exist in modern times. Brubaker said that he nearly got cold feet at some points, and almost made Buck a robot instead, but I'm glad they stuck through with it. This was an idea that could've gone horribly awry. Dead sidekicks brought back as evil antiheroes have rarely been successful, and that Cable-esque arm could've backfired in a cheesy 90s way. But Brubaker and co. definitely pulled it off, and transformed Buck from just another part of Cap's origin tale into a hero in his own right.

Oh, and Bucky as Cap was a lot better than Dick as Batman :P

The Perfect Cap Arc

No Caption Provided

One thing I loved about Winter Soldier was that every issue built on an element of Captain America. It must have been awesome for a Cap fan to read in the monthly format; and it felt like Brubaker had a checklist of Cap tropes to tick off for the whole arc. You’ve got the classic WWII flashback issue, the SHIELD assault issue, and even the mandatory team-up between Cap and his two best buds: Falcon and Iron Man.

I’ve read that Brubaker has read every major issue of Cap in existence, and his knowledge of the character certainly shows with the entire story. You’ve got cameos from past Cap cast members like Union Jack, the Invaders, & Jack Monroe. And what Cap arc is complete without a flashback to the moment of his ‘death’ in WWII? To boot, we know that some of the best Cap stories always have two iconic elements: The Cosmic Cube & the Red Skull.

On a whole, it’s easy to see why Winter Soldier is often high on the recommendations list for new Cap readers.

Conclusion

Well I hope this blog post has inspired some of you out there to reread (or pick up) Brubaker's run in anticipation of the upcoming movie. Feel free to share your own thoughts as well, and if you agree or disagree with my points. Thanks for reading.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Fantastic review!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Man this is a great run down/review! I to reread Brubakers run before I went and seen the movie and I can honestly say it does it proud. My favorite parts of the book are everything with Bucky, the flash backs and Caps France story.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

yeah its awesome

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By longbowhunter

Great job, Veshark and thanks for the inspiration. I've got the omni just sitting on my shelf. Might reread it tonight before catching a matinee tomorrow.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Bierschneeman

@veshark:

thanks for the shoutout, it was a great read.

for a second there when you said reinventing Iron Man/ and Thor, I thought you were giving Fraction the credit for Thor...My jaw dropped, then I reread, and realized it was JMS, respect, I really liked JMS's Thor. LOL

on a side note, My wife doesn't want me to reveal anything of the Brubucker run to her, she knows nothing of Winter Soldier, and wants to be surprised when we see the movie.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Cap10nate

@veshark: awesome work. This story was my reintroduction to comics and the one that got me hooked to buy several thousand over the past few years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@veshark: I've always wanted to really get into Caps comics. I started with Marvel Now but fell out of it a while ago.. might start again right here. Seems like one of Caps better stories based on your very detailed review. Good job!

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Veshark

@xwraith@jonny_anonymous@fallschirmjager@longbowhunter@cap10nate Thanks for commenting, folks!

@bierschneeman Hah, yeah I heard Fraction's Thor stuff wasn't that great. I'm enjoying his Iron Man one so far though, inconsistent as it may be. And hmm, let me know what your wife thinks when she learns of the secret. I'm curious how the general public will react to the Winter Soldier.

@i_like_swords Absolutely bro, this is a great jumping-on point. Let me know what you think when you do. And thanks for commenting!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@veshark: I was going to ask for this story for my birthday anyway but you've consolidated my choice now, I simply cannot go without reading this story for myself. Excellent run down of what makes The Winter Soldier such a brilliant story!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@veshark: Great stuff man! You got me wanting to reread my Winter Soldier tpb :)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger Thanks, L. Let me know what you think of it when you do; it'd be interesting to hear your take on it since you're not really a street-level guy and I think you told me once that gritty isn't really your cup of tea. You can get the Director's Cut edition which will be released along with the movie; I think it's got some extras and behind-the-scenes stuff included.

@wolverine08 Hah great, go for it man, just in time for the movie too.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Billy Batson

I thought the ending was anticlimactic when I read it.

BB

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the ending was anticlimactic when I read it.

BB

Me too.

Until I reread the whole story and suddenly realized how it all made sense. How all that stuff about the graves being defaced, and Crossbones beating him up, and Cap's memories of his death being unlocked, and Bucky's files appearing in his apartment....none of that was Lukin. All of it was from Red Skull, and it was all done just so he could f&ck with his worst enemy. It's brilliant, really.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Excellent post. I too just re-read Brubaker's entire run about a month ago. One of my all-time favorite comic runs. I loved his Winter Soldier series as well. Definitely worth reading for anyone that likes this story.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@veshark: @lvenger:

@lvenger@ I, for one, think you should do one of these for either Birthright or All Star.

@veshark@ the simple fact you took the time to write this out is a testament to the story. How can I not pick this up now?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Grittiness for the sake of grittiness isn't my cup of tea but well done and meaningful grittiness, like this story, I do like. My favourite comic book currently is Wonder Woman and that title is very gritty.

@pperspectiveandreality I've only read All Star Superman all the way through so if I were to do one, it'd have to be for that story.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@lvenger:

You haven't finished birthright yet? That's surprising.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Epic review! You really nailed this story on the head and it was a great read! Awesome work, man! ^__^

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: Very nice, but the Epting cover part, you didn't actually put a cover tha Epting did. Or at least that doesn't look like his art, is it just the colorist?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two thumbs up, Veshark. I'd give you a better score, but i'm out of hands.

How'd I know you going to mention that A doesn't stand for France incident?

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this story! First Captain American story I ever read.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RisingBean

Just saw the movie. Did better justice then the comic even. And we know how great the comic arc was.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Veshark

Just saw the movie. Did better justice then the comic even. And we know how great the comic arc was.

Hit up my discussion thread!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: I'm looking for it now. Got sidetracked a bit. Ohhhhh man. We got some stuff to discuss.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Lvenger

@veshark: I'd seriously recommend it as a gateway into Wonder Woman. Despite the guff of the New 52, the current Wonder Woman series is easily one of DC's best titles.

Also I'll hopefully be going to see The Winter Soldier this weekend so I'm looking forward to that a lot :)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@veshark: I'd seriously recommend it as a gateway into Wonder Woman. Despite the guff of the New 52, the current Wonder Woman series is easily one of DC's best titles.

Also I'll hopefully be going to see The Winter Soldier this weekend so I'm looking forward to that a lot :)

Hmm, I might check it out eventually. I've been looking to get into some Pre-52 stuff for Diana though; specifically Rucka's run.

Once you've seen it, feel free to hit up our discussion thread!