• 82 results
#1 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

During the election i found out there were a lot of Mitt Romney supporters who are comic fans which kind of annoyed me. Republicans are all about every man for themselves and letting poor people die if they cant afford medical treatment which doesn't really mesh with the whole superhero thing.

There is not a single superhero i can think of that would be a republican.

Anyone disagree?

#2 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't think of any who are openly Democrats either, and though I am a Democrat I think your views of the Republican party are warped to the extreme and are offensive to other users.

#3 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I followed the election very closely including the republican primaries. What i said is true even if most people who voted Romney don't know it.

i Know that superheroes aren't openly political on either side but i just cant see any of them voting republican, not even the rich ones like Batman and Iron Man.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Norman Osborn is republican and THINKS he's a superhero!

Does that count?

#5 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

i Know that superheroes aren't openly political on either side

I hope things will stay like that for long. I dont think politics match well with comic books. Even the ongoings reclaiming some sort of more realistic description of the world tend to have a limit when dealing with politics (not showing the face of the potus, for example).

Unstead of searching for characters who are "real" democrats or republicans, maybe you should ask to the viners which comic books characters fit well the stereotype or the cliché of each political side.

If i had to give my impression on some characters, i would have said Hal Jordan(Geoff Johns version),and John Stewart could be republicans(dont ask me why, it's just how i feel it). I see Superman and Wonder Woman like democrats and Batman like apolitical.

The only comic book character i can think of with somekind of political side is John Constantine under Delano's run, but he wasnt a republican nor a superhero. Delano wasnt fond of Magaret Tatcher at the time, so i think his version of Constantine was in the left wing.

#6 Posted by _Zombie_ (10380 posts) - - Show Bio

Romney is my superhero.

#7 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

I can't think of any who are openly Democrats either, and though I am a Democrat I think your views of the Republican party are warped to the extreme and are offensive to other users.

This. I agree with this, litteraly word for word.

#8 Posted by Sufferthorn (1739 posts) - - Show Bio

For a joke...

I will put MY opinion on the political stances of the following Superheroes/Characters.

Aunt May: Republican

Nick Fury: Republican

Iron Man: Republican

J Jonah Jameson: Republican

She Hulk: Republican

Superman: Republican

Mary Jane: Democrat

Daredevil: Democrat

Luke Cage: Democrat

Susan Storm: Democrat

Eddie Brock: Democrat

Xavier: Democrat

Batman: Democrat

Bruce Banner: Democrat

Black Cat: Democrat

Punisher: Anarchist

Nightcrawler: Independant

Vision: Independant

Galactus: Incomprehensible

Deadpool: HAHAHAH!

Cyclops: I was right

Human Torch: Doesn't Care

Emma Frost: Stripper

The Thing: Independant

Reed Richards: Independant

Spider-Man: Independant

Wolverine: Independant

Iron Fist: Independant

Thor: Prince of Asgard

Dr Doom: Fascist

Red Skull: Fascist

Baron Zemo: Fascist

Omega Red: Communist

Captain America:

#9 Posted by tg1982 (2715 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sufferthorn: And I agree with this as well, at least the Captain America part.

#10 Posted by Roger Rabbit (21 posts) - - Show Bio

You're just lucky you posted this on an essentially anonymous website instead of Facebook or something because that's the kind of ridiculous statement that perpetuates the childish fight that is Americans vs. Americans. Many superheroes would probably be Republicans, I mean Civil War from Marvel should be proof enough that superheroes are pretty divided right down the middle in political views. In fact, superheroes should technically never be Democrats as they are supposed to be about working alongside the government and vigilantism is illegal. I think you just need to realize that it's actually pretty normal for people to be balanced in their political views then extreme right or left.

#11 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roger Rabbit said:

superheroes should technically never be Democrats as they are supposed to be about working alongside the government and vigilantism is illegal.

Republicans are against big government (when it suits them) They believe that if you want something that you should go and do it on you're own and that government gets in the way of that, so how does Superheroes working with the government make them republican?

#12 Posted by TheCannon (18270 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

This, except for the part about being a democrat.

#13 Posted by Roger Rabbit (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

superheroes should technically never be Democrats as they are supposed to be about working alongside the government and vigilantism is illegal.

Republicans are against big government (when it suits them) They believe that if you want something that you should go and do it on you're own and that government gets in the way of that, so how does Superheroes working with the government make them republican?

That doesn't make any sense, you've just stated exactly why superheroes should all Republicans, because they don't work with the government (a lot of them anyways)...in fact, superheroes exist because they think the government isn't enough and they are taking matters into their own hands. Superheroes in real life are illegal you know. In your world where everyone is either extreme Republican or extreme Democrat, Republicans would be superheroes and Democrats would be cops.

#14 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

Republicans are all about every man for themselves and letting poor people die if they cant afford medical treatment

Uh...you might want to try out a political science class. That statement there is pretty ignorant.

#15 Posted by Backflip (2262 posts) - - Show Bio

I reckon that Falcon is probably a Democrat

Icon is an out and out Republican I think, whereas Rocket is his antithesis and a Democrat.

#16 Edited by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roger Rabbit said:

superheroes exist because they think the government isn't enough

Yes. they think the government isn't doing enough to help people. The republicans would scale back even more therefor helping less people.

@Reignmaker said:

@scuzz2.0 said:

Republicans are all about every man for themselves and letting poor people die if they cant afford medical treatment

Uh...you might want to try out a political science class. That statement there is pretty ignorant.

This question was asked at the Republican primaries.

A healthy 30 year old man who has no insurance becomes sick and goes into a coma, if he doesn't get treatment he dies. should you let him die?

Answer from Ron Paul (The most moderate republican during the primaries): Freedom is about taking you're own risks AKA let him die (Republican crowd cheers)

#17 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roger Rabbit said:

That doesn't make any sense, you've just stated exactly why superheroes should all Republicans, because they don't work with the government (a lot of them anyways)...in fact, superheroes exist because they think the government isn't enough and they are taking matters into their own hands. Superheroes in real life are illegal you know. In your world where everyone is either extreme Republican or extreme Democrat, Republicans would be superheroes and Democrats would be cops.

Your idea isn't any better though.

The problem with the entire argument there is that it equates smaller government with less forgiving government. Small or not, it is the government's job to punish anything considered illegal within its jurisdiction, like. for example, vigilantism. The size and power of the government only counts if you're working within the confines of the law. If you're working outside the law any rules the government doesn't matter because you've already told it to piss off with the rules.

But by your own argument most superheroes would be Democrats because most of them are vigilantes for the purpose of reestablishing law and order and not just for the hell of it. It can go both ways.

#18 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

During the election i found out there were a lot of Mitt Romney supporters who are comic fans which kind of annoyed me. Republicans are all about every man for themselves and letting poor people die if they cant afford medical treatment which doesn't really mesh with the whole superhero thing.

There is not a single superhero i can think of that would be a republican.

Anyone disagree?

Are you serious?

By that logic I can say I can't think of a single super hero who would be a democrat because none of them would be for abortion, it wouldn't necessarily be true, But it wouldn't be an different than what you said.

#19 Posted by scuzz2.0 (273 posts) - - Show Bio

@GunGunW: So Superheroes aren't Pro choice?

#20 Posted by Roger Rabbit (21 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

Your idea isn't any better though.

The problem with the entire argument there is that it equates smaller government with less forgiving government. Small or not, it is the government's job to punish anything considered illegal within its jurisdiction, like. for example, vigilantism. The size and power of the government only counts if you're working within the confines of the law. If you're working outside the law any rules the government doesn't matter because you've already told it to piss off with the rules.

But by your own argument most superheroes would be Democrats because most of them are vigilantes for the purpose of reestablishing law and order and not just for the hell of it. It can go both ways.

But they are establishing their own sense of law and order where they are not held accountable to the government which is the essential idea that Republicans (read: Bill of Rights) cling to. I mean, technically speaking there are many superheroes on both sides of the political spectrum but that's not what this thread is about. It's about someone who has no understanding of what Republican even means and thinking that if you are a republican, you shouldn't be allowed to read comics with superheroes because you are a villain.

#21 Posted by mtrakos (563 posts) - - Show Bio

@Reignmaker:

#22 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roger Rabbit said:

@scuzz2.0 said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

Democrats as cops? Hah, thats fun..

Anyway.. There was so many things i wanted to argue with in the above statement, such as ''(...) superheroes exist because the think the goverment isn't enough (...)'', and ''Superheroes in real life are illegal(...)'' which isnt true btw.

And last, if the case was extreme democrats (left wings) and extreme republicans (right wings)... Then wouldnt it be exact opposite? Since democrats are much more reknown for helping the poor and unfortunate, where a guy like the Kingpin (seen from a economical viewpoint, NOT because he is criminal) is much more like a republican.

Its funny, that americans say that republicans want a smaller goverment when in fact they want a much bigger and controlling one.. exept when the goverment try to touch their pay check.

Back to the question: my bet is that 90% of mainsteam heroes are left winged just like Jesus would be... lol.

#23 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

Yes. they think the government isn't doing enough to help people. The republicans would scale back even more therefor helping less people.

@Reignmaker said:

@scuzz2.0 said:

A healthy 30 year old man who has no insurance becomes sick and goes into a coma, if he doesn't get treatment he dies. should you let him die?

Answer from Ron Paul (The most moderate republican during the primaries): Freedom is about taking you're own risks AKA let him die (Republican crowd cheers)

You can cherry-pick individual instances if you like, but the primaries is an awful time to gather political substance on anyone. These "gotcha" moments are one of biggest reasons we have a difficult time getting anything done between both sides. I'll also add that Ron Paul is not the most moderate person on that particular issue.

It has been statistically shown again and again that Republicans out-donate their Democrat counterparts. So to say they're an "every man for themselves" party is untrue. If you want me to list a source I can do that, but a simple Google search should suffice. Furthermore, the GOP position was never to keep the status quo on medical care, but they were shut out of the process entirely.

I'll admit though that comics tend to be more liberal, because most creative folks in the industry are in fact liberal. The result of this is we have more examples where heroes act liberal.

#24 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Roger Rabbit said:

But they are establishing their own sense of law and order where they are not held accountable to the government which is the essential idea that Republicans (read: Bill of Rights) cling to. I mean, technically speaking there are many superheroes on both sides of the political spectrum but that's not what this thread is about. It's about someone who has no understanding of what Republican even means and thinking that if you are a republican, you shouldn't be allowed to read comics with superheroes because you are a villain.

No. You cannot have more than one arbiter of law and order in an organized society (The Supreme Court) and that's not what the Bill of Rights is about. It, and the Republicans today, push for for more rights and lesser involvement in the private life of people. Dispensing your own brand of justice is never ever ever a part of that equation and no sane government would agree to anything like that.

Which is not to say the thread isn't a bit flawed and a bit insulting in its assumptions, but ultimately going liberal or conservative is all about following a slightly different set of rules. Disrespecting those rules will get you hunted down and locked up equally fast on either side. Which is why vigilantes voting for a certain side on account of their vigilantism is a rather silly idea.

#25 Posted by ValendianKnight (297 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh....I'm pretty sure most heroes would be liberals(including ones like Batman), considering what they do. I know I can't imagine Superman lying like Republicans(at least the elected ones)do, or getting worked up about women's reproductive rights or gay marriage. I'm pretty sure he would be pro-science, pro-choice. Same goes for most heroes. I can totally see Lex voting Republican however(I dare anyone to argue this), which says a lot.

#26 Posted by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

All I know about the innerworkings of the Republican mind is what I hear on TV and on talk radio. I heard one guy last night saying that half of the country works and the other half are all thieves... guess which half they think is which. From what I hear, they just literally make stuff up becuase they are having a tantrum because they didn't get their way. Instead of working on actually getting people to want to vote Republican, they tried to do everything they could to supress people's votes. Romney was bold faced lying every other sentence without batting an eyelash near the end there. I don't know how you guys are missing the talk about a new Civil War and people wanting Obama assasinated, but all this is just simply evil. It's terrorism and it's unpatriotic. Period. Meanwhile what do liberals want that's so threatening to civilization? Birth control. FOOD and MEDICINE for babies and old ladies. CLEAN ENVIRONMENT. STOPPING WAR. Seriously people. Bulls*** me but don't bulls*** yourself. So yeah, a guy who patrols the streets at night saving people sounds more liberal to me.

#27 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20117 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sufferthorn said:

For a joke...

I will put MY opinion on the political stances of the following Superheroes/Characters.

Aunt May: Republican

Nick Fury: Republican

Iron Man: Republican

J Jonah Jameson: Republican

She Hulk: Republican

Superman: Republican

Mary Jane: Democrat

Daredevil: Democrat

Luke Cage: Democrat

Susan Storm: Democrat

Eddie Brock: Democrat

Xavier: Democrat

Batman: Democrat

Bruce Banner: Democrat

Black Cat: Democrat

Punisher: Anarchist

Nightcrawler: Independant

Vision: Independant

Galactus: Incomprehensible

Deadpool: HAHAHAH!

Cyclops: I was right

Human Torch: Doesn't Care

Emma Frost: Stripper

The Thing: Independant

Reed Richards: Independant

Spider-Man: Independant

Wolverine: Independant

Iron Fist: Independant

Thor: Prince of Asgard

Dr Doom: Fascist

Red Skull: Fascist

Baron Zemo: Fascist

Omega Red: Communist

Captain America:

LOL

#28 Posted by sunhawk (550 posts) - - Show Bio

no no no Galactus is definitely a Republican. i think i have seen an issue of the avengers where karl rove became his herald.

#29 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

With all due respect, Republicans and Democrats are stupid party names. And that's all I have to say about this topic because I'm not American so i don't really know much, nor do I care that much; and super heroes probably have parties or ideologies, they just don't show them

#30 Posted by Malonius (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I can imagine a lot of superheroes would be Libertarians.

#31 Posted by Backflip (2262 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0 said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

@Reignmaker said:

@scuzz2.0 said:

Actually, sorry to burst your bubble but Ron Paul is actually SO RIGHT WING, that on the politic spectrum he's kinda come full circle and became liberal by circumstance. But yeah, in actuality, Ron Paul is the most conservative of any of the Republicans in the primaries.

@AtPhantom said:

@Roger Rabbit said:

No. You cannot have more than one arbiter of law and order in an organized society (The Supreme Court) and that's not what the Bill of Rights is about. It, and the Republicans today, push for for more rights and lesser involvement in the private life of people.

That is unless it contradicts their interpretation of a 2000 year old text or concerns the rights of minorities within society?

#32 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunhawk said:

no no no Galactus is definitely a Republican. i think i have seen an issue of the avengers where karl rove became his herald.

He was doing Earth a solid by getting him off planet.

#33 Posted by PowerHerc (82708 posts) - - Show Bio

USAgent is a Republican.

#34 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman seems kinda liberal

#35 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1874 posts) - - Show Bio

The OP has the same problem many comic writers have, they don't know any Republicans (For the record, I'm a Libertarian) so they don't know how to portray them.Most Republicans think that government programs DON'T work, and therefore the "HELP" people get from them is really nothing more than a hindrance disguised as help. Welfare doesn't help people, it merely makes them dependent on government help, assuring that they will vote for big government folks during elections, all the while, dis-couraging them from trying to help themselves. (Not saying I agree or disagree, but that's how they think..they ARE NOT walking around saying "I sure hope some poor guy starves so I can get an extra $10.") They think Government health care (which i do think is a horrible idea, fwiw) doesn't really help anyone, because it's nothing more than an extra tax that gives government the right to control your healthcare, aright, which once you give them, they now have the power to take away at any time they deem it necessary. They do not think the government can give anyone anything, because the government doesn't produce anything. Government can't pay for healthcare, or education..or anything..THE TAXPAYERS do that. The government merely takes credit for it. They do not walk around saying "I sure hope old sick people go broke." I really doubt the OP "followed the election" through anything but his Democrat goggles, and merely believed what he wanted. That said, I'm no fan of the GOP (or the Dems..my guy came in 3rd) but how would you like it if I said "All the Democrats care about is giving the government more power because they want us to live in a dictatorship where we stand in bread lines, because they want a society totally dependent on the government for their existence."

Really folks, Most GOP folks don't base all their beliefs on the Bible, that's a small wing of the GOP. That'd be like if I said "All Dems base their beliefs on Karl Marx."

#36 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

It's like all of the dumbest off-topic threads got mixed with the most boring general discussion threads and this Frankenstein's monster of a thread crawled out of the sexual fluids.

#37 Posted by Dernman (14899 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

It's like all of the dumbest off-topic threads got mixed with the most boring general discussion threads and this Frankenstein's monster of a thread crawled out of the sexual fluids.

Leave  Frankenstein's monster out of this. He has his own problems.
#38 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Leave Frankenstein's monster out of this. He has his own problems.

Yeah. He's not dead yet.

ANGRY VILLAGERS UNITE!

#39 Posted by daredevil21134 (11350 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

Daredevil is one I believe

#40 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Really? Most writers don't reveal a characters political views because they could lose readers. If you find the scan or issue I would love to look into it. I could see him being one though.

#41 Posted by ColonelRunAway (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys! Guys!

There are three things I've learned never to discuss on the internet: religion, politics, and The Great Kirkman.

#42 Edited by SUNMAN (7215 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't think of any mainstream superheroes being republicans except for Rorschach and Icon

Republican
Republican
Super Conservative so probably a Republican, but probably not as extreme as some of the more vocal republican leaders we saw during this election
Very Liberal probably a Democrat or a Libretarian

Other than that though. I don't think there are too many other marvel and DC heroes that are blatantly republican.

#43 Posted by daredevil21134 (11350 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

@daredevil21134: Really? Most writers don't reveal a characters political views because they could lose readers. If you find the scan or issue I would love to look into it. I could see him being one though.

I believe it was revealed in Daredevil King of Hell's Kitchen by Bendis

#44 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: Cool thanks. I'll look into it.

#45 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

i don't really know much

there you go :p LMFAO I kid, I kid, you didn't even pack a side :)

#46 Posted by Juandicimo_Magnifico45 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

@scuzz2.0: Without getting into a debate about politics on a comicbook website, I have to say that you do have some very skewed views about the GOP. So I think that if you did some real research on the republican party and its fundamental values, you would be able to answer your own question (because yes, many heroes represent those values of the GOP).

I do think that politics and other social matters should be included in comic books however. They have always included matters such as segregation, sexual preferences, and other matters, so I think it would be natural to include politics and even religion. I think the best way to do so however is make fake representations of the parties or religions, to represent real life situations.

#47 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

The Homelander.

#48 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

I see Nick Fury being a hardcore Republican. Dunno if he is or not though.

#49 Posted by JediXMan (30193 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is... wow.

Anyway:

Hal Jordan is Republican, Oliver Queen is Democrat (it was kind of their thing back when they had their own series together).

#50 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@SUNMAN said:

Can't think of any mainstream superheroes being republicans except for Rorschach and Icon

Republican
Super Conservative so probably a Republican, but probably not as extreme as some of the more vocal republican leaders we saw during this election
Very Liberal probably a Democrat or a Libretarian

Other than that though. I don't think there are too many other marvel and DC heroes that are blatantly republican.

Didn't Mr. Terrific or someone work in a Rebublican Congressmans office?