User Lists: 13

I'm okay with this.

JasonBourne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Only Americans are okay with a studio replacing an Asian male character with a white woman. PC America is intolerable.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

this is horrible. they could have found an asian woman to play this part

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I'm into it.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And meninist outrage in 3, 2, 1...

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And meninist outrage in 3, 2, 1...

toonluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"So, we have to cast this old Tibetan man. Any suggestions?"

"How about a middle aged, white woman?"

"Well, we ARE pandering really hard to feminists lately."

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no frame of reference for this actress. Only thing I've ever seen her in was the first Narnia movie and I don't even remember anything outside of Lion-Jesus.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i remember her from watching Constantine.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Its like Marvel is collecting all my favorite actors and actresses. Now I just need a movie where Kingpin, Ultron, Ancient One, and Loki team up to find Magneto, who is being held prisoner by the legendary Foxhound group, and then also have Christopher Walken play someone. Then have Hideo Kojima be head of Konami… and have Kevin Owens beat John Cena.

Would be… an unorthodox movie, but also great!

Kevin Owens will kill Cena!!!!!!!

Kil OWens Kill!

~MiB

(chanting): Joe's gonna kill him! Joe's gonna kill him! Joe's gonna kill him! XP

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@madeinbangladesh said:
@sc said:

Its like Marvel is collecting all my favorite actors and actresses. Now I just need a movie where Kingpin, Ultron, Ancient One, and Loki team up to find Magneto, who is being held prisoner by the legendary Foxhound group, and then also have Christopher Walken play someone. Then have Hideo Kojima be head of Konami… and have Kevin Owens beat John Cena.

Would be… an unorthodox movie, but also great!

Kevin Owens will kill Cena!!!!!!!

Kil OWens Kill!

~MiB

(chanting): Joe's gonna kill him! Joe's gonna kill him! Joe's gonna kill him! XP

Thumbnail

~MiB

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: She did a really good job as Gabriel, I have to say.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#66  Edited By The Impersonator

There was a classic movie in which she played a male. I don't recall that one. Anyways, I liked to see how it turns out, if she got the role.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@zaccooper: Jackie Chan would be perfect for Wong. Benedict cumbersbatch and Jackie Chan teaming up

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@zaccooper: Jackie Chan would be perfect for Wong. Benedict cumbersbatch and Jackie Chan teaming up

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#70  Edited By MatthewParker

Should've been asian...and a male. But i do think she's gonna kill it.

JasonBourne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toonluv said:

"So, we have to cast this old Tibetan man. Any suggestions?"

"How about a middle aged, white woman?"

"Well, we ARE pandering really hard to feminists lately."

I Lol'd

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Wicked!

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I'm unfamiliar with the character but I am a fan of Tilda so hooray! ^_^

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the...? No. Just no.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

For what? Probably to entice more females to the theater, white females of course.

It's a Benedict Cumberbatch movie, I don't think the white female audience is one they have to worry about.

Then again, it's still a genre film and women tend to avoid those.

Quite frankly, this is probably the outcome of political correctness more than just whitewashing, because if Marvel had cast an Asian man they'd immediately be accused of perpetuating the "inscrutable Oriental" trope like they were with Madame Gao when a variety of bloggers complained about "yellow peril" insinuations just because Gao was an Asian crime lord. It's reached the point where there are so many tropes for so many things that it is foolish to care about them anymore, but nope, people still pretend they're important, and here we are. We could have easily had Ken Watanabe in this role, he's a reasonably well known Asian actor.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Havenless

This is a great choice. Ancient One doesn't NEED to be male.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Skit

@sc: If we can find a way to de age him, then Christopher waken could play snake. Also by having Kojima Leading Kimono, that implies that Kimono would act as the evil corporation and that's just not the modern Konami way. That film would be perfect though.

OT: This is just weird. I like her as an actress and she looks more like Brienne from got then her actual actress, but still. I could tolerate a race and even gender swap, but not both and making a character that's hundreds of years old be so young.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#79 SC  Moderator

@skit: Heh heh nice one. Code name… Walking… Snake? Also if Snake is appearing can we please have Christopher Walken dubbed over by David Hayter… but Christopher Walken also has such a distinctive and iconic voice, Hayter should dub over him imitating him… but then also have Walken dub over another character… played by David Hayter. Classic Kojima serve.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#80 frozen  Moderator

@saren:

Quite frankly, this is probably the outcome of political correctness more than just whitewashing, because if Marvel had cast an Asian man they'd immediately be accused of perpetuating the "inscrutable Oriental" trope like they were with Madame Gao when a variety of bloggers complained about "yellow peril" insinuations just because Gao was an Asian crime lord. It's reached the point where there are so many tropes for so many things that it is foolish to care about them anymore, but nope, people still pretend they're important, and here we are. We could have easily had Ken Watanabe in this role, he's a reasonably well known Asian actor.

Yup; this also led to Khan getting white-washed in Star Trek Into Darkness, because the film-makers were afraid of casting a brown person in the role of a terrorist.

It's a lose-lose situation. Either you are under-representing minority characters, or demeaning them.

Deadgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am fine with her as long as she grows a beard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't see the problem not going with an old asian guy considering the film doesn't have to follow a Tibetian based training location. Given the British influence through the casting so far they can easily go with a European based training location and it woukd still work, especially given the fact Doctor Strange is a more western based character anyways (in the fact that much of his comic history his spells are more oriented to western style incantations and alchemy rather than eastern style methods of focusing....which was more how he was portrayed in the last animated film and thus made sense for a Tibetian location for his training) as have the interpretations of both his enemies and mystical allies been. In fact there is very little asian influence in the Doctor Strange canon aside from his training and servant. This Ancient One could easily be connected to the Arthurian legends or be more along the lines of a druidic background and her predecessor was the Tibetian vision in order to make that comic book connection. Whether it will work will depend on how Strange's magic is presented.

Given the fact I'm hoping this film will not do a standard origin but go with an Incredible Hulk style opening and Strange already have gone through his training (given he's a known threat as of Winter Soldier) we wouldn't see as much of The Ancient One as portrayed in other media, like the animated film.

In that regard it would work not to have Wong be a servant but a fellow practicioner and ally much like the animated movie (up to the ending).

Plus its not revealed that Strange will be the Sorcerer Supreme by the end of the film....its not in the title and may work better to wait till the second or third film, if there is one, to create a trilogy arc that ends with him becoming the SS rather than copying formats already done to get him into the position immediately. Better to set-up the context of the mystical in the MCU and the players in it (good and bad) than to present an already done storyline/origin.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By scavengerFist

Kinda what they've done with Nova Prime being a woman on GotG... and it took me watching 4 or 5 times before noticing... so this will roll off me. It better be good.

Bystander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh f*ck my life...

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Skit

@sc: I got it. Young Walking snake will be voiced by Hayter(he actually did a few live action things as snake for 3 that where pretty good). Walking will voice over Kurt Russel who'll play old big boss from the smx2 games/4. Kurt Russel doing his snake pliskin voice, will voice over Kojima since he seems to randomly decide if he can speak English or not. Kiefer Sutherland will not be in the film because he's not David hayter.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: so you don't believe women and men should be treated equally or paid equally? wow.

mind you, not sure how equal rights has anything to do with the casting of the Ancient One...

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips: no.i never said that. i believe men and women should get treated and paid equality. if she can do the role well, then i am all for Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One.

JasonBourne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: You don't get it.

It's not about IF she can do the role well or not. She shouldn't be in the role, period. The source material is being ignored and quite literally trampled on. It's equal to turning Batman or any male character into a woman to pander to mainstream moviegoers. Has nothing to do with 'equality' ..has everything to do with numbers and $. Marvel is assuming that making this character a white woman guarantees she'll be more relatable to American audiences and thus more Box Office $$.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonbourne_: ok,i get it now, but that's up to what type of storying their are trying to tell.

JasonBourne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14: It's the same thing as Iron Man 3 dude..

Replace the formidable ASIAN Mandarin with a silly white guy with a grudge. Why, you ask? To fill the seats, that's all studios care about.

ips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

@ips: no.i never said that. i believe men and women should get treated and paid equality. if she can do the role well, then i am all for Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One.

someone asked you point blank if you were a feminist. you said no. feminism simply means you believe in gender equality and equal rights. anything else you think it means, is wrong.

so by saying you aren't a feminist you are saying you don't believe genders should be treated equally and that women don't deserve equal pay for equal work, or other similar basic equality based rights.

everyone here should be calling themselves a feminist. if you don't already, you're basically a crappy human being and should be ashamed of your ignorance.

i'm a feminist. and i love TS. i don't love this casting though. again, i'd prefer more authentic casting. i also don't accept gerrard butler with a british accent as an ancient roman gladiator for the same reasons though. it has nothing to do with TS.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips: well, i'm a feminist. didn't understand the question. i'm sorry i didn't understand your statement.

BoyWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is how you avoid the calls of "whitewashing" a character. You still change them to white, but you make them a woman and no one seems to mind. Got it.

preach brother

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#95  Edited By dernman

@jasonbourne_ said:

Only Americans are okay with a studio replacing an Asian male character with a white woman. PC America is intolerable.

Just don't lump us all in. Anytime we complain about race/sex changes we get called racist/sexist and hear bull rants about "it doesn't change the character".

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

couldn't care less if the source material isn't being followed to the letter.....there is no point to producing these characters in other forms of media if the studio is simply going to copy what someone else has already done. these aren't 616 characters, they aren't 1610 characters, they are their own freakin universe. so how about you all stop complaining about every little change to the comic source every, single, time and remember that without the MCU doing things the way they have been we wouldn't have any of this to begin with.

if you don't like it don't go see it and give your money in support.....but that's not gonna happen and you'll see it, at least twice, and Marvel will make another film as a result that you can nitpick and complain about but ultimately go sink your money into.

freakin hypocrits

JasonBourne_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips said:
@cloakx14 said:

someone asked you point blank if you were a feminist. you said no. feminism simply means you believe in gender equality and equal rights. anything else you think it means, is wrong.

so by saying you aren't a feminist you are saying you don't believe genders should be treated equally and that women don't deserve equal pay for equal work, or other similar basic equality based rights.

everyone here should be calling themselves a feminist. if you don't already, you're basically a crappy human being and should be ashamed of your ignorance.

i'm a feminist. and i love TS. i don't love this casting though. again, i'd prefer more authentic casting. i also don't accept gerrard butler with a british accent as an ancient roman gladiator for the same reasons though. it has nothing to do with TS.

No disrespect..but what's the point of this disjointed, unnecessary comment? Oh right there is no point..you're just talking for NO reason. Your entire post can't even be comprehended. Not even by me. It's literally senseless. Feminism is so much more than you described..and I don't appreciate you attempting to correct Cloakx14 with this pathetic excuse of a reply. Not everyone HAS to be a feminist. Not that you can accurately define it in the first place. Next time you get the itch to reply or talk....DON"T!

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ips said:
@cloakx14 said:

No disrespect..but what's the point of this disjointed, unnecessary comment? Oh right there is no point..you're just talking for NO reason. Your entire post can't even be comprehended. Not even by me. It's literally senseless. Feminism is so much more than you described..and I don't appreciate you attempting to correct Cloakx14 with this pathetic excuse of a reply. Not everyone HAS to be a feminist. Not that you can accurately define it in the first place. Next time you get the itch to reply or talk....DON"T!

Hes saying that everyone should want equal pay for men & women and just because a person doesn't want a women playing a specific role dosen't make them sexist and/or not a feminist.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#99  Edited By agent9149

The white washing of the Ancient One is disgusting. Really Marvel?

@frozen said:

@saren:

Yup; this also led to Khan getting white-washed in Star Trek Into Darkness, because the film-makers were afraid of casting a brown person in the role of a terrorist.

It's a lose-lose situation. Either you are under-representing minority characters, or demeaning them.

It's not a lose-lose situation. If the writers actually took their time and thought critically about the characters of color they were portraying and the racial elements that surrounded the role, they wouldn't have to worry about demeaning them. They can hire consultants and representatives for more information and opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I find funny that most users posting don't have any idea of the implications of this change......Do you even know how the Ancient One got the Eye of Agamotto? How he met Nightmare, Dormammu, Umar and others for the first time?

Really......