#1 Posted by Danial79 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just looking at the Avengers Academy students after seeing Bab's NYCC video, and when I read about Striker and his electrical abilities, it got me thinking, have they maybe run out of powers? I mean, we already have Electro and Surge, is there really a need for yet another electrical character?

#2 Posted by brc2000 (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

You can thank the X-Men for that.

#3 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Try to think up an interesting and completely original power, and let us know.

#4 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

If you think about it every power has been used before. It is very difficult to think of new powers that haven't been used at least once in the past.

#5 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

Being original is hard these days.

#6 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

the last time i remember being impressed by a characters power and use of it was Architect from Hunter-Killer. 
a low level reality warper (if one can be called such a thing) who could redraft the location around him to his
pleasing.

but i don't concern about this. common powers happen to also be based on common elements, forces, ect.
its only logical that persons gaining abilities would have ones relevant to the environment they lived in.

#7 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The Brotherhood of Dada laugh at Marvel's lack of originality.
#8 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is most new characters that are original tends to be really hated by fans and quickly killed off/written out.
For example Maggott, Marrow or Stacy X. I think they were awesome, but most people hated them.

#9 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@fesak: Maybe they aren't supported enough.
#10 Posted by Mr Bubbles (148 posts) - - Show Bio

People have a hard time adjusting to new things

#11 Posted by fesak (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

Meanwhile characters like X-23, Daken and Red Hulk instantly becomes popular, so that tells the creators that people doesn't want originality.

#12 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics don't really give you a lot of time to breath in terms of exposition... especially now a days when decompression is still somewhat vogue, page counts are lower, wide-screen panels and splash pages are more frequent, and walls-of-text are frowned upon... so any kind of really complex, different, or out of the box power will either be hard to explain or fully explore.  And let's face it, even the most simple of powers can fill reams and reams of fine print... FLIGHT: How high, how fast, can I carry, will I be comfortable, do I have momentum, how do G-forces affect me, can I orient in space, can I do it unconsciously, does it burn calories, etc. etc.  

And that's FLIGHT something we all "know" and intuit as a trope by now. 

Breaking ground on a totally new power could potentially suck all the air out of the room for any other plot, character, etc. developments.  By contrast, when the power is a bit rote you can immediately get down to characterization, storytelling, and such which can be a more compelling character in the end.

#13 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

I blame the "so-called" fans for this.It's the reason every entertainment industry sucks because people are into repetitive bullsh#t.I don't have a problem with Marvel recycling powers but when they have character who have their own original powers, they don't even promote them. I like X-23,Daken,& red Hulk (now) but it would be nice if we got a little more creative with character creation.It seems like as of late every character that appears is a rehash of another one.i mean i'm fine with Striker having electrical powers but what makes him different? For instance Jolt has electrical powers but unlike the majority of them she has a good level of agility and fighting skill. Also Marvel will have original characters and then try to make them like other characters. Why is Arana "Spider-Girl"? It's a gimmick.People will respond to Spider-Girl rather than a spanish name. So if you wonder why this stuff happens blame the people who won't accept change.

#14 Edited by Danial79 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

" ... but it would be nice if we got a little more creative with character creation. [...] I mean, I'm fine with Striker having electrical powers, but what makes him different? "

This is the part I was bothered by. I have no problem with him having electrical powers, but how is he different than the others? If he's just a younger version of Electro, then why even bother? 

Perhaps the problem is that instead of introducing one new character at a time, they introduce whole new teams instead...
#15 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
" ... but it would be nice if we got a little more creative with character creation. [...] I mean, I'm fine with Striker having electrical powers, but what makes him different? "
This is the part I was bothered by. I have no problem with him having electrical powers, but how is he different than the others? If he's just a younger version of Electro, then why even bother? "
You know what I don't like even more.They canned Initiative for this nonsense.This is a poorly put together team.i like Finesse personality wise but she brings nothing new to Marvel's street level.The acrobatic ability,the batons.She pretty much just took all the things Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) already borrowed from Mockingbird. Hazmat is basically a female version of Radioactive Man...Veil is the only character that is slightly original here.
#16 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is that they don't give time to some characters to shine.

#17 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" The thing is that they don't give time to some characters to shine. "
Or they don't even try.Marvel will try with some characters especially if they are male and then others they are just like...fck it! 
#18 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" The thing is that they don't give time to some characters to shine. "
Or they don't even try.Marvel will try with some characters especially if they are male and then others they are just like...fck it!  "
True.
#19 Posted by Danial79 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Danial79 said:
" @Vance Astro said:
This is the part I was bothered by. I have no problem with him having electrical powers, but how is he different than the others? If he's just a younger version of Electro, then why even bother? "
You know what I don't like even more.They canned Initiative for this nonsense.This is a poorly put together team.i like Finesse personality wise but she brings nothing new to Marvel's street level.The acrobatic ability,the batons.She pretty much just took all the things Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) already borrowed from Mockingbird. Hazmat is basically a female version of Radioactive Man...Veil is the only character that is slightly original here. "
But then, even Veil is just a copy of Vapor from the U-Foes... It's like the whole team is just the kids of the other characters or something...
#20 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio

Well yea,I still blame the fans.There are so many things I would like to change about the Marvel U but the fans will b#tch.Then Marvel will have to fix it back.For starters I wish they would have left Steve Rogers dead.Captain America Reborn is the worst miniseries for him i've ever read and he's not even Cap anymore.What is the point of having Super-Soldier...and Captain America? They are the same guy pretty much.I think people would have b#tched about it though.Cap is really important but Marvel shot themselves in the foot int the first place by making Bucky Cap instead of making him his own character.Cap has like a million clones and knock-offs.

#21 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro: I agree that fans are also to blame. They say that nothing ever changes and when it does they complain about it.
#22 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" @Vance Astro: I agree that fans are also to blame. They say that nothing ever changes and when it does they complain about it. "
LOL...so true.
#23 Posted by The Devil Tiger (1263 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" @Vance Astro: I agree that fans are also to blame. They say that nothing ever changes and when it does they complain about it. "
LOL...so true. "

'nuff said.
#24 Posted by Danial79 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm only new to comics, but personally, I like it when situations change rather than characters. As I mentioned in the Moon Knight forum, I'd be perfectly happy if Khonshu took another to be his avatar (my suggestion was Marlene), as long as Marc is still crazy Marc :)

#25 Posted by Vance Astro (91191 posts) - - Show Bio
@Danial79 said:
" I'm only new to comics, but personally, I like it when situations change rather than characters. As I mentioned in the Moon Knight forum, I'd be perfectly happy if Khonshu took another to be his avatar (my suggestion was Marlene), as long as Marc is still crazy Marc :) "
That's not going to happen.Marvel is making ANOTHER attempt at trying to make him popular.I'm sure it will fail but they don't care.
#26 Posted by Danial79 (2343 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Danial79 said:
" I'm only new to comics, but personally, I like it when situations change rather than characters. As I mentioned in the Moon Knight forum, I'd be perfectly happy if Khonshu took another to be his avatar (my suggestion was Marlene), as long as Marc is still crazy Marc :) "
That's not going to happen.Marvel is making ANOTHER attempt at trying to make him popular.I'm sure it will fail but they don't care. "
I think they're only doing that because he's sooooo close to being "mainstream", but just... isn't... quite... there yet.
#27 Posted by LP (675 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been 70+ years - none of these companies want to take any chances. Nothing new has been made from these companies since they started. Maybe we should look elsewhere (or to ourselves?) for true originality.