Posted by Jpgman (69 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Recommendations for someone who just watched MOS (and loved it)? (32 votes)

All Star Superman 34%
Kingdom Come 31%
Red Son 28%
For the man who has everything 16%
Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow 19%
The Man of Steel 28%
Birthright 34%
Secret Origin 22%
New 52 origin 19%
For Tomorrow 13%
Secret identity 6%

Pretty much what says in the title, you can also recommend your own recommendations other than the ones in the poll

I'll probably go with the 3 most convincing ones

#1 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21768 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright

Secret Origin

Man of Steel

#2 Posted by kriminal (646 posts) - - Show Bio

earth one volumes one and two. you will notice some things that are similar to the movie especially in volume one

#3 Posted by SideburnGuru (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well just read New 52.

The old stories are great, but you'll be wishing that New 52 never happened, and then you'll have to deal with the fact Pre-52 is never coming back.

#4 Posted by Jpgman (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Might as well just read New 52.

The old stories are great, but you'll be wishing that New 52 never happened, and then you'll have to deal with the fact Pre-52 is never coming back.

I don't care about that kind of stuff, I just want a good read

#5 Posted by ccraft (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

@jpgman: I picked Kingdom Come and Red Son, both really good.

Superman 'Brainiac' is really good, Gary Frank on art, they also made an animated movie about it called Superman Unbound (haven't watched it yet)

Superman Unchained has started, it seems like it will be a good series, but if it's going to be $4.99 I might wait a month so the price will drop on comixology. Also comixology is having a sale on Superman right now, over 200 issues!

links go straight to the comics from comixology

#6 Edited by ccraft (5214 posts) - - Show Bio

All thought All Star Superman is winning, I wouldn't collect it, its like 12 issues and $2.99 and the art is bad imo.

#7 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of steel, birthright and

@kriminal said:

earth one volumes one and two. you will notice some things that are similar to the movie especially in volume one

This

#8 Posted by Jpgman (69 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: I saw the art in all star Superman and it looks pretty good to me. Thanks for the other recommendations!

@stormbox: @kriminal: Don't worry guys, I already read both Earth One volumes before seeing this movie and loved them!

#9 Edited by RideASpaceCowboy (523 posts) - - Show Bio

Having read every single one of these (and a great many other Superman stories as well), I feel qualified to offer you my ordering of quality in respect to these stories (ignoring their artistic strengths or weaknesses), all of which I consider excellent in some respect, despite a low ranking on the list or any criticism I offer.

1. Final Crisis (The best story in the medium of sequential art, sans Flex Mentallo: Man of Muscle Mystery)
  2. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (An excellent swan song that is truly emotionally heart-wrenching)
  3. All-Star Superman (The best character study on Superman, bar none)
  4. Morrison's Action Comics run in the New 52 (Read it at least twice in full to understand why; that's all I'll say)
  5. Final Crisis: Superman Beyond (This truly encapsulates the scope of the character)
  6. Earth-One (This cinematic tale truly captures Clark's raw intellect and offers a great take on Krypton's fate)
  7. Birthright (The best Luthor story would be the best origin as well if not for a meandering opening three issues)
  8. Secret Origin (This excellently synthesizes the best elements of what came before it)
  9. Kingdom Come
  10. Infinite Crisis
  11. Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds
  12. Adventures of Superman (digital first)
  13. Superman for All Seasons
  14. Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  15. Brainiac
  16. For Tomorrow
  17. Up, Up, and Away
  18. The Man of Steel
  19. Red Son
  20. Secret Identity
  21. For the Man Who has Everything

I'll get to the rest of my summaries later...

#10 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7757 posts) - - Show Bio

Go read some Marvel.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33093 posts) - - Show Bio

@jpgman: Earth One is what MoS takes most of it's ideas from

#12 Posted by Jpgman (69 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Billy Batson (57971 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright

Secret Origin

Man of Steel

Surprised you didn't say All Star.

BB

#14 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come is always the comic to recommend all of the time.

#15 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21768 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: well if he said what's a great superman story? I would say allstarsuperman of course, but he said, I like man of steel what are some good stories? So I gave him the origin stories.

#16 Edited by Squalleon (4567 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Jpgman (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright guys thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll go with the Man of Steel, Birthright and Allstar Superman

#18 Posted by batmannflash (6215 posts) - - Show Bio

@jpgman: you should also watch the movie "All-Star Superman"

#19 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5021 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright and All-Star Superman are must reads. As are Kingdom Come and Red Son.

#20 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Of those, Birthright is the closest in plot to MoS. If you want more Zod, Superman: Last Son by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner is pretty good.

All-Star Superman and Kingdom Come are both awesome books that present a super iconic and a post-modern Superman respectively. Red Son is good and can be read to show how important Ma and Pa Kent were in shaping Clark into the hero he became. For the Man Who Has Everything and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? are written by Alan Moore, that should speak for itself.

All the others are good and you should read them if you get the chance.