Recommend me some good, new (2013-on) comic series

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By sexy_merc

I've been out of the comic scene for a while. To be honest if I read a comic now it's mostly just a re-read. I was through with the new DCU a long time ago, it has just been a hassle. I was reading Brother Lono, Astro City, The Unwritten, East of West, Aquaman, Wonder Woman (mostly for Orion, but it was probably DC's best in-universe book at the time I was reading it), Jason Aaron's Thor (not a Thor fan, but this was probably the most interesting stories I've read of the guy since the Bronze/Silver Age), Hawkeye (Fraction), and a bit of Moon Knight recently (Ellis).

Books I've dropped: Saga, American Vampire, Manhattan Projects, Harbinger, a lot new DC stuff.

I made a list of my fave characters to read for my tastes (was going to do series, but it'd take too long): http://www.comicvine.com/profile/sexy_merc/lists/111/50545/

From any publisher is fine, but I don't normally read Top Cow, web-comics, or Dark Horse stuff. I'd appreciate it!

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Green Arrow 17+, a trade is coming out on the 25 that collects 17-24 and 23.1.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Superman/wonder woman batman/superman, new creative team swamp thing, red lanterns and action comics with honorable mentions of superior foes of Spider-Man and phantom stranger

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fury Max, Battlefields, Prophet, Copra, Stray Bullets, TEotFW, Shadowman, Mind MGMT and Hip Hop Family Tree.

BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Green Arrow (but treat issue 17 like it's issue 1).

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CaptainHoopla

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Black Science, Lazarus, Velvet, X-O Manowar, Unity, Deadpool.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sexy_merc

Green Arrow 17+, a trade is coming out on the 25 that collects 17-24 and 23.1.

@xwraith said:

Green Arrow (but treat issue 17 like it's issue 1).

Sounds good. Never read much GA post-OYL.

@ccraft said:

@sexy_merc: Do you like TMNT?

You know what, I've never read TMNT comics before. I've seen the 2003 cartoon and really liked it. Anything in particular you'd recommend from the series?

@binski said:

Superman/wonder woman batman/superman, new creative team swamp thing, red lanterns and action comics with honorable mentions of superior foes of Spider-Man and phantom stranger

Superior Foes of Spider-Man, Black Science, Lazarus, Velvet, X-O Manowar, Unity, Deadpool.

Superior Foes ... hmmm, might check that out. Not big on Spidey these days though. I read a bit of X-O Manowar, I'll look into the rest.

Fury Max, Battlefields, Prophet, Copra, Stray Bullets, TEotFW, Shadowman, Mind MGMT and Hip Hop Family Tree.

BB

Shadowman was something I was looking into a while ago, but never really followed through on it. I've read the 1st MGMT but wasn't really interested in it. Some interesting choices here, the Hip Hop one looks lulzy.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

Shadowman was something I was looking into a while ago, but never really followed through on it. I've read the 1st MGMT but wasn't really interested in it. Some interesting choices here, the Hip Hop one looks lulzy.

Knowing you, I thought HHFT would appeal to you :p

BB

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Deadly Class by Remender is really good. Only 2 issues out so far. Uncanny Avengers has picked up too.

Black Widow and She-Hulk have also had pretty good debuts. The art on She-Hulk is polarizing though. I believe Pulido did a Hawkeye arc so you've probably already seen his work.

Also it released end of 2012 and I know you said you don't read Top Cow but I picked up the first trade of Think Tank recently and I thought it was pretty interesting.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexy_merc: Definitely check out Superior Foes. It has absolutely nothing to do with Spider-Man himself, I think he has been drawn in one panel of a flashback in the first issue. The book revolves around Boomerang, Shocker, Speed Demon, Overdrive, and Beetle trying to be the new Sinister Six, even though there is only five of them. Basically them trying to make a living as B list villains. It is the funniest and most ingenious book being published right now. It's not only funny, but an incredibly clever story to go with it. It went from off my radar to probably my favorite book within a blink of reading the first two issues. I can't recommend it enough.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ccraft
sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sexy_merc said:

Knowing you, I thought HHFT would appeal to you :p

BB

You know me well, my friend.

@wardishy said:

Deadly Class by Remender is really good. Only 2 issues out so far. Uncanny Avengers has picked up too.

Black Widow and She-Hulk have also had pretty good debuts. The art on She-Hulk is polarizing though. I believe Pulido did a Hawkeye arc so you've probably already seen his work.

Also it released end of 2012 and I know you said you don't read Top Cow but I picked up the first trade of Think Tank recently and I thought it was pretty interesting.

I've liked some of Remender's work, I'll check those out.

@sexy_merc: Definitely check out Superior Foes. It has absolutely nothing to do with Spider-Man himself, I think he has been drawn in one panel of a flashback in the first issue. The book revolves around Boomerang, Shocker, Speed Demon, Overdrive, and Beetle trying to be the new Sinister Six, even though there is only five of them. Basically them trying to make a living as B list villains. It is the funniest and most ingenious book being published right now. It's not only funny, but an incredibly clever story to go with it. It went from off my radar to probably my favorite book within a blink of reading the first two issues. I can't recommend it enough.

Lol, I have a soft spot for B and C list villains. I'll definitely check this out, especially since I'm not familiar with any of those characters.

@ccraft said:

@sexy_merc: I would recommend IDW TMNT series, it amazing, out of all the comics I got, TMNT is the best. This series has a darker tone than the cartoons, but it's not too dark, the turtles banter like they should and Shredder is great threat as he should be.

TMNT Comixology link (first tmnt issue is free)

TMNT Amazon link

TMNT reading order link (You'll only need this if you get the spin-off series like Micro-Series and Secret History of the Foot Clan)

Images (no spoilers of course)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

That looks really awesome and fun. I will definitely see what this is about, thanks a lot man.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ccraft
Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Deadpool and Black Widow.

Avatar image for drmantistoboggan
DrMantisToboggan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i concur with those who have mentioned GA since lemire

also superman unchained, batman, superman/wonder woman, and a handful of others

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Billy Batson

@sexy_merc:

Did you start Shadowman in the beginning or when Milligan took over?

Some more...

The Royals: Masters of War (mini) and since you like The Shade (from Starman), did you read the latest mini?

For something older...

Baltimore started in 2011 but it's still going on and hasn't that many issues - follows the Mignola formula - minis, one-shots and novel.

The Killer by Jacamon and Matz. An old still series but it's still being made in France and released in English by Archaia. Looks right up your alley. The first issue is free on comixology and it's collected in trades and omnibus editions.

BB

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@sexy_merc: Just out of curiosity, why did you drop Saga?