#1 Posted by JediXMan (31259 posts) - - Show Bio

So yeah. I'm looking for some good stuff to read. I'm looking for complete stories, not current stories, which are collected in TPBs already.

Looking for serious stuff. Not corny. Now I'd prefer something not gory for the sake of gore; I don't mind it when it suits the story (Sandman), but other stories (Crossed) just seem to rely on it. My likes would include Sandman, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Morrison's X-Men run, 52, etc. So stuff along those lines.

On the subject: opinions on Supreme Power / Squadron Supreme would be nice.

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: I know you'll probably say know because it's a webcomic, but it's still worth a try.  

Rice Boy(technically you can get it in print but you'll have to order online from a site I can't vouch for.)
#3 Posted by JediXMan (31259 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decoy Elite said:
@JediXMan: I know you'll probably say know because it's a webcomic, but it's still worth a try.  

Rice Boy(technically you can get it in print but you'll have to order online from a site I can't vouch for.)
What's it about?
#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
@Decoy Elite said:

What's it about?
I'm recommending it. :P
#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34381 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

Walt Simonsons Thor: Visionaries. First appearance of Beta Ray Bill, plus its just an awesome read.

#7 Posted by RainEffect (3240 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

SO many more Vertigo series for you to choose from. Buy Hellblazer it's definitely the most serious one running at the moment with dashes of dark humour and the great things is that with each writer it's a beginning of a new series.

#10 Posted by shawn87 (2095 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Nextwave.  
 It's pure comedy, but it's awesome.  

Also; 
Madame Xanadu 
Morrison's Doom Patrol 
Morrison's Batman 
Morrison's JLA 
Y: the Last Man

#12 Posted by ThexX (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

For Marvel I would recommend Uncanny X-Force, The Ultimates, Venom, & The Punisher. And for DC I recommend Batman, Batmam & Robin, & Red Hood and The Outlaws

#13 Edited by _Zombie_ (10462 posts) - - Show Bio

You've probably read this, so ignore this if you have, but Red Son is one of the best Elseworlds versions of Superman of all time.

Edit: Marvel 1602 is really good, too. I believe the original limited series was written by Gaiman. Also, Marvel Noir is amazing.

#14 Edited by Billy Batson (58278 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Saren (26027 posts) - - Show Bio

Lucifer and Transmetropolitan.

#16 Posted by Trodorne (2596 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by The_Tree (7881 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane said:

Lucifer and Transmetropolitan.

^This.

#18 Posted by JediXMan (31259 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright. I just read:

Wanted (good)

Kick-Ass (didn't really care for it; just not my thing)

Punisher: Born (decent. Would be "good" without the supernatural stuff; is just seeing Frank in 'nam too much to ask?)

Morrison's Doom Patrol (amazing)

Vol. 1 of Morrison's JLA (not bad... not one of my favorite works from Morrison)

Secret Six vol. 1 and 2 (great)

More stuff!

#19 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Y: The Last Man (on of the best comic series ever!)

Hellblazer

Transmetropolitan

DMZ

#20 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

• X-Factor (PAD, of course)
  • Invincible
  • Hunter-Killer
#21 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

TRy Incognito

#22 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by JediXMan (31259 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. Bringing this back. I just read Y: The Last Man and am currently reading Fables.

I'd like to also broaden the search to current comic books that don't require a lot of prior reading. I want to get back into comics in general. Preferably DC and Vertigo comics.