#1 Posted by Rick_Grayson (779 posts) - - Show Bio

So I want to branch out from the big 2 but I don't want to waste time and money going from bad series to bad series. I bought the first issue of Colder but didn't really like where they were going with it and while I see a lot of high ratings for Saga I don't like the idea of thousands of planets and races to have to remember for a political plot.

To give you an idea, my favorite series' recently have been Batman & Robin (or pretty much any Batman), TMNT & Deadpool. I have also been reading the Walking Dead and will continue with that, just want another Indie run.

So please, I'd love some suggestions for what I might enjoy reading.

Thanks,

#2 Posted by Billy Batson (58029 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it have to be a current series? And could you tell what kind of series are you looking for?
BB

#3 Posted by Rick_Grayson (779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Billy Batson: I don't mind if it's older, in fact that might be preferable so I could bag a few volumes in one haul. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for although I think I'd prefer something dark / gritty over the light and 'fluffy' stuff.
#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

What's wrong with fluffy? :(

Also, what do you mean by indie? If you consider Walking Dead to be an 'indie' book, I assume that you mean a comic outside of DC/Marvel? Or just comics that are creator-owned or not professionally published?

#5 Edited by Billy Batson (58029 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadworld or Frank by Jim Woodring not too many get to survive because of the Marvel/DC Monopoly/Stranglehold on the Industry. Most Dark Horse/Image/Valiant fare is good also.

#7 Posted by Rick_Grayson (779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Veshark: Yeah i just want a break from the well known heroes, thought I'd branch out a bit really. And there's nothing wrong with fluffy, but having just finished Deadpool I thought I'd get a bit more serious lol.
#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha, all good friend.

Well in that case I would definitely recommend Hellboy by Mike Mignola. It's easily my favorite non-Marvel/DC series, and features the adventures of a demon detective beating up monsters. You can't get more dark and grittier than Hellboy, and it has elements of crime and horror as well. If you've seen the movies, do note that the comics are very different - Hellboy is more of a Clint Eastwood weary world-traveler type character here than the humorous badass of the movies.

And another benefit is that the entire series and all miniseries are collected into easy-to-sort trade paperbacks. So you can just start from Vol. 1 and work your way up. Solid, beautifully simple stories with lots of monster-bashing and Nazis.

Also, gorgeous Gothic art by Mike Mignola:

#9 Posted by Rick_Grayson (779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Veshark: I'm looking at Jonny the Homicidal Maniac at the moment, have you read that?
#10 Posted by dtschemmel (503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rick_Grayson: Shadowman. That is all I have to say.

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Afraid not, my tastes don't go to that extreme!

#12 Posted by JimTheSurfer (560 posts) - - Show Bio

You can check out new Star Wars series. They're pretty good.

#13 Posted by Charlie_Jade (523 posts) - - Show Bio

Bone

Witchblade

One Piece

The Agency

Hard Boiled

Ghost

From Hell

Death note

Promethea

The Thirteenth Floor

Oldboy

M.A.C.H 1

Road to Perdition

Lone Wolf and Cub

Walking Dead

Dredd

The Crow

American Born Chinese

The Photographer

Akira

30 Days of Night

A contract with God

History of Violence

Fables

#14 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yes Dredd is awesome.

#15 Posted by Rick_Grayson (779 posts) - - Show Bio
@Charlie_Jade: Thanks for the many suggestions! I just finished looking through them and I'm particularly interested in The Agency, History of Violence and Fables.

I'll decide which I'm gonna start with next week when i make my regular purchases, thanks again :)