Recommend a Comic!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tparks

Looking to start reading a few new series. I've cut my pull list down to a smaller list as I've been unimpressed with DC and Marvel recently. I only have 2 Marvel issues, and no DC at the moment. My pull list contains:

• Invincible
  • Invincible: Universe
  • TMNT and the Micro-series that goes with it
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Nova (which I think I'm going to take off my list as I've been very unimpressed with the new direction for this new Nova)

I've been considering XO Manowar as I've been hearing great things. I also love to read old series where I can read through a ton of TPB's like a novel. I've been considering reading the Haunt series since it was collaborated by Kirkman and McFarlane by Image but I've heard mixed reviews.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

You should pick up BOOM! Studios Suicide Risk. It's one of my absolute favourite series! There's only 6 issues out right now so it'd be pretty easy to get caught up and it's written by Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy, Hellblazer).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should definitely read X-O Manowar.

If you want a really good book from DC, you should check out Green Arrow (but ignore everything before issue 17- that's when the current creative team took one of DC's worst and turned it into one of their best).

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preacher.

Brilliant series :)

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should pick up BOOM! Studios Suicide Risk. It's one of my absolute favourite series! There's only 6 issues out right now so it'd be pretty easy to get caught up and it's written by Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy, Hellblazer).

I'm intrigued, I'm going to take a look at it.

@xwraith said:

You should definitely read X-O Manowar.

If you want a really good book from DC, you should check out Green Arrow (but ignore everything before issue 17- that's when the current creative team took one of DC's worst and turned it into one of their best).

I pretty much decided that I'm going to start reading this. Can you recommend a good spot to start from?

@jwwprod said:

Preacher.

Brilliant series :)

I haven't heard of this one. What company publishes Preacher?

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks:

Preacher is published by Vertigo a comany that is under the licence of DC so Preacher is technically DC but at the same time it's not.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Try Thor: God of Thunder, New Avengers, Daredevil, Scarlet Spider, Savage Wolverine, Uncanny Avengers, Aqauman, and Green Arrow. All are incredible series! Especially Thor. I hope you enjoy them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

Oh, and on the topic of Preacher, do you like Garth Ennis?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Definitely should get X-O Manowar!

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, buy X-O Manowar as well as any other Valiant titles. THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! They're the best publisher at the moment.

captainsaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Totally agree pick up chew, and check out allot of image comics

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: As far as Green Arrow goes the latest issue is actually a decent spot to jump on. They re-introduce the plot and characters on the first page and show their relationships very well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

@squares said:

@captainsaul said:

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

Oh man, Chew is amazing. It's utterly different from anything else I've ever read, and both the writing and the artwork are pretty much seamless. Yeah, the concept is a little strange, and 'out there' is actually a very good way to describe the series in general, but in no way is that a bad thing- it doesn't get in the way of the story at all.

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend anything by Rob Liefeld....

Ok ok

Jk.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

What? There are plenty of down-to-earth comics.

BB

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superior foes of spiderman is the best book out there.

also i would try green arrow after 17 and hawkeye

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Billy Batson

@tparks said:

The first issue of Chew is free on comixology: http://www.comixology.com/Chew-1/digital-comic/1081

BB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

What? There are plenty of down-to-earth comics.

BB

Yes, but they're more of an exception to the rule. Comics by nature are somewhat fantastic, generally speaking.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green Arrow, post issue 17 has been utterly brilliant and easily one of the best titles out there (between Marvel and DC; have not yet ventered into the independent publishers so I can't speak for them).

Heard amazing things from XO-Manowar as well as Quantum & Woody but have yet to read them.

..I know this is slightly off from the OPs original question/post but if you guys had to pick between Thor GOT and Batman/Superman in quality-of-writing terms, which would you pick? Seeing as both are early in their series/ story arcs?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@tparks said:

@squares said:

@captainsaul said:

Oh man, Chew is amazing. It's utterly different from anything else I've ever read, and both the writing and the artwork are pretty much seamless. Yeah, the concept is a little strange, and 'out there' is actually a very good way to describe the series in general, but in no way is that a bad thing- it doesn't get in the way of the story at all.

Good point, I'm going to read the first one tonight. Thanks.

MisterAnderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Saga........ Just read Saga!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Trodorne

Though it was a short run series, I think you might enjoy Starborn

At least based on the series that you are reading and enjoying now. I could recommend the stuff im reading but you might not like them. so id rather recommend based on your current interests.