#1 Edited by tparks (2421 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking to start reading a few new series. I've cut my pull list down to a smaller list as I've been unimpressed with DC and Marvel recently. I only have 2 Marvel issues, and no DC at the moment. My pull list contains:

  • Invincible
  • Invincible: Universe
  • TMNT and the Micro-series that goes with it
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Nova (which I think I'm going to take off my list as I've been very unimpressed with the new direction for this new Nova)

I've been considering XO Manowar as I've been hearing great things. I also love to read old series where I can read through a ton of TPB's like a novel. I've been considering reading the Haunt series since it was collaborated by Kirkman and McFarlane by Image but I've heard mixed reviews.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

#2 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (722 posts) - - Show Bio

You should pick up BOOM! Studios Suicide Risk. It's one of my absolute favourite series! There's only 6 issues out right now so it'd be pretty easy to get caught up and it's written by Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy, Hellblazer).

#3 Posted by Xwraith (11066 posts) - - Show Bio

You should definitely read X-O Manowar.

If you want a really good book from DC, you should check out Green Arrow (but ignore everything before issue 17- that's when the current creative team took one of DC's worst and turned it into one of their best).

#4 Posted by JwwProd (7223 posts) - - Show Bio

Preacher.

Brilliant series :)

#5 Posted by tparks (2421 posts) - - Show Bio

You should pick up BOOM! Studios Suicide Risk. It's one of my absolute favourite series! There's only 6 issues out right now so it'd be pretty easy to get caught up and it's written by Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy, Hellblazer).

I'm intrigued, I'm going to take a look at it.

@xwraith said:

You should definitely read X-O Manowar.

If you want a really good book from DC, you should check out Green Arrow (but ignore everything before issue 17- that's when the current creative team took one of DC's worst and turned it into one of their best).

I pretty much decided that I'm going to start reading this. Can you recommend a good spot to start from?

@jwwprod said:

Preacher.

Brilliant series :)

I haven't heard of this one. What company publishes Preacher?

#6 Posted by JwwProd (7223 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks:

Preacher is published by Vertigo a comany that is under the licence of DC so Preacher is technically DC but at the same time it's not.

#7 Posted by tparks (2421 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (27354 posts) - - Show Bio

Try Thor: God of Thunder, New Avengers, Daredevil, Scarlet Spider, Savage Wolverine, Uncanny Avengers, Aqauman, and Green Arrow. All are incredible series! Especially Thor. I hope you enjoy them.

#9 Edited by Squares (3157 posts) - - Show Bio

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

Oh, and on the topic of Preacher, do you like Garth Ennis?

#10 Posted by ccraft (3962 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely should get X-O Manowar!

#12 Posted by sagejonathan (1649 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, buy X-O Manowar as well as any other Valiant titles. THEY ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD! They're the best publisher at the moment.

#13 Posted by captainsaul (140 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: Totally agree pick up chew, and check out allot of image comics

#14 Posted by tparks (2421 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

Oh, and on the topic of Preacher, do you like Garth Ennis?

@squares: Totally agree pick up chew, and check out allot of image comics

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

#15 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1428 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks: As far as Green Arrow goes the latest issue is actually a decent spot to jump on. They re-introduce the plot and characters on the first page and show their relationships very well.

#16 Posted by Squares (3157 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

@squares said:

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

Oh, and on the topic of Preacher, do you like Garth Ennis?

@captainsaul said:

@squares: Totally agree pick up chew, and check out allot of image comics

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

Oh man, Chew is amazing. It's utterly different from anything else I've ever read, and both the writing and the artwork are pretty much seamless. Yeah, the concept is a little strange, and 'out there' is actually a very good way to describe the series in general, but in no way is that a bad thing- it doesn't get in the way of the story at all.

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

#17 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1742 posts) - - Show Bio

I recommend anything by Rob Liefeld....

Ok ok

Jk.

#18 Posted by Billy Batson (56988 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

What? There are plenty of down-to-earth comics.

BB

#19 Posted by fil123 (404 posts) - - Show Bio

superior foes of spiderman is the best book out there.

also i would try green arrow after 17 and hawkeye

#20 Edited by Billy Batson (56988 posts) - - Show Bio

@tparks said:

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

The first issue of Chew is free on comixology: http://www.comixology.com/Chew-1/digital-comic/1081

BB

#22 Posted by Squares (3157 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

What? There are plenty of down-to-earth comics.

BB

Yes, but they're more of an exception to the rule. Comics by nature are somewhat fantastic, generally speaking.

#23 Posted by EnigmaLantern (663 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow, post issue 17 has been utterly brilliant and easily one of the best titles out there (between Marvel and DC; have not yet ventered into the independent publishers so I can't speak for them).

Heard amazing things from XO-Manowar as well as Quantum & Woody but have yet to read them.

..I know this is slightly off from the OPs original question/post but if you guys had to pick between Thor GOT and Batman/Superman in quality-of-writing terms, which would you pick? Seeing as both are early in their series/ story arcs?

#24 Posted by tparks (2421 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares said:

@tparks said:

@squares said:

Read Chew. Seriously, if you have to pick one title to take up, that should be it.

Oh, and on the topic of Preacher, do you like Garth Ennis?

@captainsaul said:

@squares: Totally agree pick up chew, and check out allot of image comics

I've heard Chew is awesome. It sounds a little "out there" for me. I'm pretty open-minded to reading anything though, I'll see if there is a free first issue digital or something to try it out.

Oh man, Chew is amazing. It's utterly different from anything else I've ever read, and both the writing and the artwork are pretty much seamless. Yeah, the concept is a little strange, and 'out there' is actually a very good way to describe the series in general, but in no way is that a bad thing- it doesn't get in the way of the story at all.

Yeah, if you're looking for something a little more down-to-earth, maybe Chew isn't for you, but in that case why are you reading comics at all?

Good point, I'm going to read the first one tonight. Thanks.

#25 Edited by MisterAnderson (514 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by judasnixon (5475 posts) - - Show Bio

Saga........ Just read Saga!

Online
#27 Edited by Trodorne (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

Though it was a short run series, I think you might enjoy Starborn

At least based on the series that you are reading and enjoying now. I could recommend the stuff im reading but you might not like them. so id rather recommend based on your current interests.