Reading Suggestions??

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheLark

Hey guys, so i'm pretty new to the whole comic book scene. Having just started around 6 months ago to really embrace the medium i'm keen to catch up on some of the great things i've missed out on. So far in the 6 months ive been engaged with comic books i've read numerous Batman titles such as: The court of the owls, black mirror, earth one, batman rip, year one, dark knight returns, long halloween, dark victory, hush, heart of the hush, knightfall vol 1 and most of volume two, as well as the Arkham Asylum title. On top of that i've also read Spiderman Blue and the first two volumes of american vampire. Im keen to get into more spiderman possibly, as well as maybe some x-men stuff if theres stuff out there thats truly great. I'm pretty much open to any suggestions but throughout my childhood Wolverine, x-men and spiderman were pretty much my staple of who i liked, with my interest in Batman being peaked by the two recent rocksteady games. I apologise in advance if there's some section which outlines this kinda thing first time hopping on this site im usually on GB. Cheers guys (p.s can you change the background to being black like GB???)

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By thespideyguy

@TheLark: I would say get amazing spiderman 698-700, and avenging spider-man 15.1. Then this coming week get superior spiderman #1.

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheLark

I prefer collections of work rather than picking up single issues prefer to have the whole story or at least a large enough chunk!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

@TheLark said:

(p.s can you change the background to being black like GB???)

GB can still do that???? we haven't been able to do that in years

as for recommendations

for the X-men I'd go and get the first couple of issues of All New X-men that just came out...the book has been nothing but awesome so far and it will lead into a new Uncanny X-men series soon

Cable and X-Force has been great as well so far

and I know it's kind of not like what you've already read but I have to recommend The Walking Dead to everyone because it's my favorite book...you should also check out Saga...it's amazing as well

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I always suggest that everyone read Watchmen, its almost universally praised by comic fans.

Definitely check out Invincible, it really sounds like the kind of thing you'd be into and its all around a fantastic book, plus collections are easy to come by.

If you want to try something outside the superhero genre, look into Saga, The Walking Dead, Severed, The Underwater Welder, Fatale, etc.

If you like Scott Snyder's work (guessing you're a fan since you've read a lot of his Batman stuff and American Vampire) I would suggest checking out his run on Swamp Thing, and its sort of companion book Animal Man, both are fantastic. You might also like the New 52 Talon, Flash, Nightwing and Aquaman books. And if you're at all interest in Greek mythology you'll like the New 52 Wonder Woman series.

I can't recommend anything for X-Men or Spider-Man because I've never gotten into X-Men enough to read much about them and Spider-Man is just a mess right now, but you would probably love Scarlet Spider (think Spider-Man with a Batman attitude) and I would definitely recommend looking into that. Other Marvel series you might enjoy; Winter Soldier, Daredevil, Deadpool, Indestructible Hulk, Thor: God of Thunder.

Other Batman stories you might like: Batman Gothic, Gates of Gotham, and Brian Azarello's Joker.

Oh, and if you like American Vampire, look into I, Vampire. Its a fantastic book that isn't getting enough attention.

Hope this has helped!

TheLark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheLark

@Imagine_Man15: Thanks very much, yeah i loved the heck outta black mirror and court of the owls, im currently reading infinite crisis the omnibus version with the 3d glasses and stuff it looks so good! I've heard a few good things about Thor, as well as Daredevil yellow as well as captain America but i dont wanna jump into something mid way through. For example i think black mirror might of been the 3rd book iread of batman, and i'd been told at that time that bruce wayne wasn't batman so it was that big a deal to me. But i just read batman black glove and rip, so im trying to re-trace the steps. It's why i posted i prefer to read things in a logical progession from whenever a good reboot or jumping on point is!

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@TheLark said:

@Imagine_Man15: Thanks very much, yeah i loved the heck outta black mirror and court of the owls, im currently reading infinite crisis the omnibus version with the 3d glasses and stuff it looks so good! I've heard a few good things about Thor, as well as Daredevil yellow as well as captain America but i dont wanna jump into something mid way through. For example i think black mirror might of been the 3rd book iread of batman, and i'd been told at that time that bruce wayne wasn't batman so it was that big a deal to me. But i just read batman black glove and rip, so im trying to re-trace the steps. It's why i posted i prefer to read things in a logical progession from whenever a good reboot or jumping on point is!

Yeah, I don't know how much you know about it but DC recently (a little over a year ago) performed a company-wide reboot and relaunched all their titles with some changes to update characters and make them more "modern," so any of there titles right now are easy to jump into because there isn't a ton of back-reading required.

Oh, and I suppose if you really want a Spider-Man book, I'd have to recommend Ultimate Spider-Man. Its not in the main continuity, but its certainly better than what's currently being produced in the main continuity.

Jokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jokergeist

@TheLark: Just read anything that has the Joker in it.

1. Start off by purchasing The Greatest Joker Stories Ever Told

2. Then get some comics ranging back from the 1970s-1980s

• Detective Comics #532
  • Superman Vol 2 #9
  • The Killing Joke
  • Batman: A Death in the Family

3. After getting a taste of these, dive into the 1990s

• Robin II: The Joker's Wild
  • Knightfall
  • The Joker: Devil's Advocate
  • Batman/Captain America crossover
  • JLA #11 and #15

4. Read these issues from the No Man's Land storyline

• Batman #570
  • Detective Comics #737
  • Batman #573
  • Detective Comics #740
  • Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #126
  • Batman #474
  • Detective Comics #741

Simpily put: Joker stories are the best.

JimTheSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JimTheSurfer

Killing Joke, man. Must-read.