Reading story arcs with character specific volumes.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pazy

I have recently gotten into reading Green Lantern, the first time I have ever read a comic book outside of a couple Batman/2000 AD books from a library, and I'm really enjoying it but I'm wondering about an upcoming book Im going to read. As a Christmas gift from my friends I got Green Lantern: Rebirth, Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, Brightest Day and War of the Green Lanterns with the idea that I can then move on to the current New 52 series.

My issue comes with Blackest Night. The book I received was the encompassing Blackest Night book not the character specific ones but the wiki page here mentions other books specific to Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps and Rise of the Black Lantern Corps. Even Justice League and Teen Titans. If I was to simply read the 'main' Blackest Night book (i.e. the one without the Green Lantern subtitle) would that be the whole story? Could I read some of the other books or do I need all of them? And, how do I read them if I do buy them? Do I read them in a set order or do I have to read Chapter 1 of one book before reading Chapter 1 of another?

This has always been one of my main issues trying to get into comic books, I have never understood how to read those kind of events in collected form.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

There were massive amounts of issues associated with Blackest Night. If reading the GL tie in wasn't enough, the main book should sum up the even for you better. It's most likely unnecessary for you to read everything associated with the event if you are only interested in GL.

I actually skipped Blackest Night altogether and I'm doing just fine.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jloneblackheart:
Isnt Blackest Night a major Green Lantern thing? They talk about it often enough and DC seem to put a lot of focus into it. If I wanted to read the Green Lantern Corps and "Rise of the Black Lanterns" books can you suggest the order I read them in? Or do I read all Chapter 1's and then all Chapter 2's? Its very, very confusing. I would appreciate the help since this kind of thing, like the Marvel Civil War and those multi-verse destroying story things, always frighten me away.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@pazy: It's Green Lantern centric, but I don't think all the tie ins are necessary. Like I said, I didn't read it. I too am not interested in the huge events.

Maybe someone else has more info on it. It's difficult to read things in order with major events. I think you're bound to be going back and forth because of the way they are collected.