Rate my graphic novel/trade paperback collection

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MasterAction

I am proud to present to you, the great Viners, MasterAction's comic collection! I don't favour any particular character/company but prefer to read a wide spectrum of stories, always looking for the most interesting titles I can find. Please feel free to comment on them and tell me which ones you like, ones you haven't heard of, recommendations for me, etc. I'd love to discuss them with you! The list is:

Avengers X-Sanction

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Batman: The Killing Joke

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?

Birds of Prey: End Run

Birds of Prey: Trouble in Mind (New 52)

Blackest Night: Green Lantern

Catwoman: The Game (New 52)

Catwoman: When in Rome

Civil War

Fantastic Four: World's Greatest

Green Lantern: Sinestro (New 52)

Justice League: Origin (New 52)

Kick-Ass

Kick-Ass 2

Marvel 1602

Nemesis

Spider-Woman: Agent of S.W.O.R.D.

Superior

Thor: The Deviants Saga

Wanted

Watchmen

Wonder Woman: Blood (New 52)

World War Hulk

X-Men and Spider-Man

P.S. I will keep this list constantly updated to reflect my purchases

Avatar image for leonarddreiberg
LeonardDreiberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By LeonardDreiberg

A VERY good start. I'd add some Vertigo and Indie titles.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By coolguyr99

Good collection but needs more Superman and Image.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MasterAction

@LeonardDreiberg said:

A VERY good start. I'd add some Vertigo and Indie titles.

Thanks :) any particular Vertigo/Indie stuff you can recommend?

@coolguyr99 said:

Good collection but needs more Superman and Image.

Yeah I really wanna get some Superman. I was thinking All-Star Superman, Superman Earth One or the New 52 Action Comics?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Not bad. It's definitely a good start.

I recommend:

• Sandman
  • Death
  • V for Vendetta
  • Kingdom Come
  • Superman: Red Son
  • Batman: Hush
impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By impossibilly

Since you have The Dark Knight Returns on that list, I think you should add Batman: Year Oneto your buy pile, since it's Frank Miller's other great Batman work, and the best telling of Batman's origin.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MasterAction

@JediXMan said:

I recommend:

• Sandman
  • Death
  • V for Vendetta
  • Kingdom Come

Thanks :) I'll probably pick up Red Son from that list first. I need a Superman comic and I'm a big fan of Mark Millar as you can see by my collection! The only one I haven't heard of there is Death :/ what's that about?

@impossibilly said:

Since you have The Dark Knight Returns on that list, I think you should add Batman: Year Oneto your buy pile, since it's Frank Miller's other great Batman work, and the best telling of Batman's origin.

Will do :) the funny thing is Dark Knight Returns is my least favourite comic in my collection. The story is so-so but the art is just awful, and I can't stand bad art! However Year One is only written by Miller and features art from the fantastic Mazzucchelli so I've got high hopes for that one :D I know they work together well anyway, Daredevil: Born Again being a prime example

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By DH69

got a good number of mark millar stuff, have you ever read Superior? Only had 6 issues, but it was a fun read.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MasterAction

@DH69 said:

got a good number of mark millar stuff, have you ever read Superior? Only had 6 issues, but it was a fun read.

With Leinil Yu? Haven't read it yet, but that's now on my pull list thanks to you! :) Millar is great in my opinion, the only one in my collection I didn't really like by him was Nemesis, but that was down to the art too. McNiven simply couldn't reach the high standard he set for himself in Civil War :/

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DH69

@MasterAction said:

@DH69 said:

With Leinil Yu? Haven't read it yet, but that's now on my pull list thanks to you! :) Millar is great in my opinion, the only one in my collection I didn't really like by him was Nemesis, but that was down to the art too. McNiven simply couldn't reach the high standard he set for himself in Civil War :/

yeah he's usually partnered with a certain inker whose name i can't remember at the time, but it was someone different for nemisis, it just felt bland. And also have you tried the First 2 volumes of The Ultimates? Millar did an amazing job expanding the ultimate universe with it, and Bryan Hitch was the artist, plus it was before everything in that universe but spider-man started circling the drain.

Then theres Wolverine: Old man logan which was great, with Millar and McNiven teaming up again.

And finally since i suck at suggesting things Spider-man Reign, spidey is in his 80s, and he's just given up being a hero after a life filled with loss.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MasterAction

@DH69 said:

@MasterAction said:

@DH69 said:

yeah he's usually partnered with a certain inker whose name i can't remember at the time, but it was someone different for nemisis, it just felt bland. And also have you tried the First 2 volumes of The Ultimates? Millar did an amazing job expanding the ultimate universe with it, and Bryan Hitch was the artist, plus it was before everything in that universe but spider-man started circling the drain.

Then theres Wolverine: Old man logan which was great, with Millar and McNiven teaming up again.

And finally since i suck at suggesting things Spider-man Reign, spidey is in his 80s, and he's just given up being a hero after a life filled with loss.

Bland is the perfect word for the art on Nemesis! Though his work on Civil War was so epic that I can forgive him :p Civil War was the first comic I ever bought so it's got a certain value for me anyway!

Need to read Ultimates, heard consistently positive things about it :) Millar and Hitch did the Fantastic 4 comic I've got and I loved it, even more than Civil War!

Yep I've read Old Man Logan, one of the first comics I ever read actually. Really enjoyed it, the dystopian feel was really effective. My brother lent it to me and he's got LOADS of Millar anyway, including 1985 which he also lent me

Your suggestions were awesome man! Thanks :)

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
TheVoiceOfReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheVoiceOfReason

You need some of the big pre 52 events.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@MasterAction said:

@JediXMan said:

I recommend:

• Sandman
  • Death
  • V for Vendetta
  • Kingdom Come

Thanks :) I'll probably pick up Red Son from that list first. I need a Superman comic and I'm a big fan of Mark Millar as you can see by my collection! The only one I haven't heard of there is Death :/ what's that about?

Well, there are a few Death minis, but I'd recommend Death: The High Cost of Living.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Good start :)

I recommend you add the first volume of Saga to your collection, its a brilliant read.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterAction

@TheVoiceOfReason said:

You need some of the big pre 52 events.

Such as?

@guttridgeb said:

Good start :)

I recommend you add the first volume of Saga to your collection, its a brilliant read.

I've heard very positive things about that actually. Brian K Vaughan is a fantastic writer. Added to my pull list :) thanks!

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Night Thrasher

You seem to like the darker Bat books so I would suggest diversifying by getting some Miller Daredevil books like Born Again and Visionaries: Frank Miller. Maybe some Moench Moon Knight or some Grell Green Arrow.

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MasterAction

@Night Thrasher said:

You seem to like the darker Bat books so I would suggest diversifying by getting some Miller Daredevil books like Born Again and Visionaries: Frank Miller. Maybe some Moench Moon Knight or some Grell Green Arrow.

I really want to get some Daredevil actually. Born Again will be a great addition to my collection. Meant to be one of Miller's best works I hear? Added to my pull list :) thanks!

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Humanoid

So far I've got,

Batman: The Killing Joke, Black Hand Deluxe, R.I.P. Long Halloween, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Beyond: Hush, Batman & Robin V1, Court of Owls, Death of the Family, Batman and Robin: Born to Kill.

Superman: All-Star Superman

Flash: Move Forward

Wonder Woman: Blood, Guts

Green Lantern: Revenge of the Black Hand, Blackest Night

Justice League: Final Crisis,

Earth 2: The Gathering

Justice League Dark: In the Dark

Animal-Man: The Hunt, Animal vs Man

Avengers: Secret Invasion, Fear Itself

X-Men: Uncanny X-Force: The Apocalypse Solution, Avengers vs X-Men

Hulk: Planet Hulk

Spider-Man: Blue, Platinum

Cosmic: Annihilation, Annihilation: Star-Lord, Annihilation: Nova, Drax the Destroyer, Annihilation: Silver Surfer, Thanos Imperative.

Others: I Kill Giants

I have a few others, I just can't remember them off the top of my head.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By impossibilly

@MasterAction said:

@impossibilly said:

Will do :) the funny thing is Dark Knight Returns is my least favourite comic in my collection. The story is so-so but the art is just awful, and I can't stand bad art! However Year One is only written by Miller and features art from the fantastic Mazzucchelli so I've got high hopes for that one :D I know they work together well anyway, Daredevil: Born Again being a prime example

I think that if you liked Mazzuccchelli's art in Born Again, you'll really like it in Year One. His line work is so clean beautiful and clean in the story. It's also my favorite Batman story, so I might be a little biased.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Humanoid

If you care more about art than the story, you should get Batman: Year 100. I'm sure it's probably a great story, it just felt a bit much for me.

dtschemmel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By dtschemmel
MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MasterAction

@dtschemmel said:

Marvel Zombies is pretty good. And cheap.

Added to my pull list :) I don't really like zombie comics actually but this looks really good :) however I'd never read something like The Walking Dead, not my style!

MasterAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MasterAction

UPDATE: Got Thor: The Deviants Saga today. Price was too good to resist. I can't say no to £6.99! Looking forward to my first Thor story :D