Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By buttersdaman000

What are your views on racial swapping comic, manga, and novel characters? Is it more of a case by case basis for you, would always prefer to keep a characters race consistent, or do you just not care?

Personally, my views on it vary. If the characters look isn't iconic or integral to his character, I don't think it really matters at all. I would like more race swaps to be in favor of Asians or Latinos though.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Cable_Extreme

Well, due to how race bias spawned in early comic development, I can see how most characters are white. I can also understand why people want to change a character to create a balance. However, I do not agree with it. I would rather them have a character die off and have his/her former sidekick take over than simply change a characters race. Race is apart of a persons upbringing, how would it feel if a comic book writer decided to make Black Panther white even though it would completely change his character? The same could be said about existing characters, though to a lesser effect, they have already established their life, and who they are. Changing them soley on the basis of race is racist in and of itself.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Color or Gender doesn't matter.. just give me a good read dammit. x)

Zach_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Changing a white character to black is just as racist as making a black character white. I think they should create entirley new minority characters instead of race swapping. It shows fans that they actually care about diversity instead of slapping a PC band-aid on it.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

To tell you honestly I really don't care. Besides more and more characters they reintroducing are multiracial. I think it would better if they do that more often, because people nowadays are really more open into interracial marriage/relationship.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

GodxDarkxOpal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LOL Black Panther being.That make no sense and not too many people would see it.Now if it was Killmonger or Man-Ape who cares.

BP might be the most popular black character in Marvel.Ppl need to stop using him as an example.Personally, as long as its not him any other black character can get changed.Warmachine,or Falcon don't mean anything because they will never be as popular as BP.Or have their own movie.BP has one coming up.I don't even care if they changed John Stewart.Its after all a fictional character.

Betony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Betony

Are we talking about race swapping in comics or from comics to film? Film is the least concerning because it's a loose adaptation of the comics and people do all kinds of experimenting with characters in the movies. If there's race-swapping in the comics, I might find it strange in some situations and a little unnecessary, but I wouldn't be upset unless their race, nationality, or ethnicity is really important to the character. For instance, turning Brother Voodoo into a white man or Magneto into a black man would require reconstructing their whole histories. (Probably not the best example, but you know what I mean).

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In film? Its risky. But it can sometimes work wonders.

In comics? There is no reason to do so unless its an alternate world.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only dislike it if race matters for a character. Making Black Panther white would be unacceptable because he was the first major black hero and is king of an African country. However, making Jimmy Olsen black is fine because race doesn't matter with him. A lot of comic characters were created at a time when there were major racial issues and segregations in america, and minority characters weren't very popular. But realistically it doesn't make sense that every supporting character would be white, so in a lot of cases it's a good thing that makes a lot of sense.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@betony:

Film and TV for the most part.

Well, due to how race bias spawned in early comic development, I can see how most characters are white. I can also understand why people want to change a character to create a balance. However, I do not agree with it. I would rather them have a character die off and have his/her former sidekick take over than simply change a characters race. Race is apart of a persons upbringing, how would it feel if a comic book writer decided to make Black Panther white even though it would completely change his character? The same could be said about existing characters, though to a lesser effect, they have already established their life, and who they are. Changing them soley on the basis of race is racist in and of itself.

I don't see how the bolded applies....these are fictional characters...how does their race really affect our upbringing? I assume that's what you meant right?

Anyways, Black Panther's race is an iconic and integral part of his character. it simply wouldn't make since. Nor would it for characters like Luke Cage, Storm, John Stewart, or Cyborg. However, a character like....Bronze Tiger? Shoot, do what you will with his skin color. I mean Arrow already changed Brick into a white dude and nobody cared.

@jayc1324 said:

I only dislike it if race matters for a character. Making Black Panther white would be unacceptable because he was the first major black hero and is king of an African country. However, making Jimmy Olsen black is fine because race doesn't matter with him. A lot of comic characters were created at a time when there were major racial issues and segregations in america, and minority characters weren't very popular. But realistically it doesn't make sense that every supporting character would be white, so in a lot of cases it's a good thing that makes a lot of sense.

Agreed. I saw a lot of people complain over him being black because he doesn't have red hair. I guess they don't realize Jimmy has never been a red head on film/tv lol