Race in comics

• 84 results
RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I wasn't trying to take away his voice. I corrected him on the term transgender. If you read the posts you would see that everything was resolved. So why even start attacking me? I was having a nice talk with him after that.

I'm not attacking you. I stated my opinion about a post in a forum on the internet. It happens. A thicker skin will do you good.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:

I wasn't trying to take away his voice. I corrected him on the term transgender. If you read the posts you would see that everything was resolved. So why even start attacking me? I was having a nice talk with him after that.

I'm not attacking you. I stated my opinion about a post in a forum on the internet. It happens. A thicker skin will do you good.

That has nothing to do with it...

I was done didn't care since it was resolved.

If you aren't LGBT you wouldn't understand.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@risingbean said:
@never_give_up said:
@thegrayghost said:

stuff

Your post can be extremely offensive to others...

Guess people need to get over it, then.

People don't have a right to "not be offended." If somebody says something you don't like, it's your issue, not the speaker's issue.

That's the problem with society. It's been done but people are still replying to previous posts...

If anyone wants to comment on my previous posts, first "Check your privilege".

No, you check your privilege, this is a way to silence people, to justify your crap and then defend yourself as a victim.

You attack people with the whole Check your privilege culture.

"Check your privilege" = Shut Up I Am Right.

I am mexican, i am irreligious, i am lower middle class, i had relationship with transsexuals and tons of other things.

Still you will ignore your privileges, because that is what people that do this always do.

That is PC, is censorship in an ugly suit and try to justify under the flag of equality and tolerance.

Didn't I just say that I was done with this.

Check my Privilege= I'm black and gay. Yea, I have a lot of privilege.

How many times have I said I was done. Everything was resolved but people are still upset. Why?

What privileges do I have honestly?

I've been done with this. We resolved this earlier but people want to bring it back up. I said what I felt it's done. Why do you want to argue with me even though we've resolved everything.

Where do you live?

How much money you win?

Are you attractive?

What is you education?

There is tons of privileges, but everybody ignore them, because they dont fit the narrative.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@risingbean said:
@never_give_up said:
@thegrayghost said:

stuff

People don't have a right to "not be offended." If somebody says something you don't like, it's your issue, not the speaker's issue.

That's the problem with society. It's been done but people are still replying to previous posts...

No, you check your privilege, this is a way to silence people, to justify your crap and then defend yourself as a victim.

I am mexican, i am irreligious, i am lower middle class, i had relationship with transsexuals and tons of other things.

Still you will ignore your privileges, because that is what people that do this always do.

That is PC, is censorship in an ugly suit and try to justify under the flag of equality and tolerance.

How many times have I said I was done. Everything was resolved but people are still upset. Why?

I've been done with this. We resolved this earlier but people want to bring it back up. I said what I felt it's done. Why do you want to argue with me even though we've resolved everything.

Where do you live?

How much money you win?

Are you attractive?

What is you education?

There is tons of privileges, but everybody ignore them, because they dont fit your narrative.

LMAO. Why are you even commenting on something that was done?

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By never give up
No Caption Provided

Do this quiz. I may get a low score though. I'll tell my score.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@risingbean said:
@never_give_up said:
@thegrayghost said:

stuff

Where do you live?

How much money you win?

Are you attractive?

What is you education?

There is tons of privileges, but everybody ignore them, because they dont fit your narrative.

LMAO. You miss the point.

People judge people by their appearance.

That is privilege too.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm glad you can tell me what I can and can't understand. I can't empathize with animals because I'm not a dog or a furry. I can't empathize with a black man who got hit by a car because I'm not black. I can't empathize with a gay man breaking up with his boyfriend because I'm not gay.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

If I see a hurt animal, I empathize. If I see somebody injured, regardless of race, sex, political view or level of wealth, I empathize.

If I see somebody who is being dumped, I know how that feels, because while I've never been dumped by a man, I've been dumped.

But none of that is why I ducked into this thread with my comment. I commented on a post that seemed to me to push the agenda of "What you're saying isn't PC in my opinion. Thus you should censor yourself." That is the extent of my interaction here. If you're trying to say that transvestite is offensive and I don't understand because I'm not one, that is your opinion and it's fine that you have it.

What I do understand is my right to speak freely isn't going to be cut because I may offend a person.

If the problem is resolved feel free to move on.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Political correctness is not the way to solve the issue. Forging forward instead of trying to change the past is the way to go.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Do this quiz. I may get a low score though. I'll tell my score.

Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@deathpoolthet1000 said:
@never_give_up said:
@risingbean said:
@never_give_up said:
@thegrayghost said:

stuff

Where do you live?

How much money you win?

Are you attractive?

What is you education?

LMAO. You miss the point.

People judge people by their appearance.

That is privilege too.

I know that. Just never been asked that on a internet forum.

@never_give_up said:

Well I'm glad you can tell me what I can and can't understand. I can't empathize with animals because I'm not a dog or a furry. I can't empathize with a black man who got hit by a car because I'm not black. I can't empathize with a gay man breaking up with his boyfriend because I'm not gay.

Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

If I see a hurt animal, I empathize. If I see somebody injured, regardless of race, sex, political view or level of wealth, I empathize.

If I see somebody who is being dumped, I know how that feels, because while I've never been dumped by a man, I've been dumped.

But none of that is why I ducked into this thread with my comment. I commented on a post that seemed to me to push the agenda of "What you're saying isn't PC in my opinion. Thus you should censor yourself." That is the extent of my interaction here. If you're trying to say that transvestite is offensive and I don't understand because I'm not one, that is your opinion and it's fine that you have it.

What I do understand is my right to speak freely isn't going to be cut because I may offend a person.

If the problem is resolved feel free to move on.

What agenda am I pushing? The proper term is transgender not transvestite. I said to him he's using the wrong terminology, so are you even after I explained it. The problem isn't resolved since you can't use the correct terminology. Why are you even interested in this?

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I'm not crazy. Simply proving a point. Maybe you should try proving yours instead of hurling insults.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Ok. I'm going by whatwas said originally. The way I saw it was Mr. Locke said DC wouldn't cater to the PC crowd by putting their money where their mouths were with a black Islamic transvestite Batman. Your response in post #9 was...

I thus took you to be telling him he shouldn't post that because he may offend somebody.

As it stands, I don't care if I offend a person. I don't believe I should have to be silent because a group of people think I do. Keep in mind I don't go out of my looking to offend people, but if I do offend a person? That is the offended person's issue, not mine.

There. Let me state it again just in case you didn't pick up on it. This sums up my feelings on the topic we've deviated to.

"If I offend you, tough. I have a right to say what I wish to say. I'm not going to censor my commentary for fear I offend some person or group."

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: I'm not crazy. Simply proving a point. Maybe you should try proving yours instead of hurling insults.

You cant be serious.

Manly tears and dodger are sexual slang and very sexist slang.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Ok. I'm going by whatwas said originally. The way I saw it was Mr. Locke said DC wouldn't cater to the PC crowd by putting their money where their mouths were with a black Islamic transvestite Batman. Your response in post #9 was...

I thus took you to be telling him he shouldn't post that because he may offend somebody.

As it stands, I don't care if I offend a person. I don't believe I should have to be silent because a group of people think I do.Keep in mind I don't go out of my looking to offend people, but if I do offend a person? That is the offended person's issue, not mine.

There. Let me state it again just in case you didn't pick up on it. This sums up my feelings on the topic we've deviated to.

"If I offend you, tough. I have a right to say what I wish to say. I'm not going to censor my commentary for fear I offend some person or group."

I wasn't you should try reading all my posts. We eventually agreed and got along fine.

That is purely selfish.

I wasn't trying to silence him.

More selfishness.

The main reason I corrected him was because of this.

No Caption Provided

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dodirty: To change a character's skin colour or sex for the sake of changing them is dumb.

Why not create new, cooler characters with diverse backgrounds? If written well, I'm certain people will buy it.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:

You cant be serious.

Manly tears and dodger are sexual slang and very sexist slang.

It's called sarcasm. They have trans on the pic. They know how society is that's why they threw it in there.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

You'd have better luck trying to get the LGBT community to not use the internet. Because here is a simple fact of life. People on the internet, that you don't know and will never meet are going to say stuff that offends you. If you don't have a thick enough skin or the proper support network in place to assist your emotional needs, you're screwed.

With that said, while I think suicide is a shame it still boils down to the person who commits the act. People who speak in ways that some find offensive are not at fault when a person they offend commits suicide.

A better use of your time in helping trans/gender non-comforming people not kill themselves would probably be to spend less time on CV telling people their comment may or may not be offensive and getting life saving information (say suicide prevention numbers) into the hands of people who may need it.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up said:

No Caption Provided

You'd have better luck trying to get the LGBT community to not use the internet. Because here is a simple fact of life. People on the internet, that you don't know and will never meet are going to say stuff that offends you. If you don't have a thick enough skin or the proper support network in place to assist your emotional needs, you're screwed.

With that said, while I think suicide is a shame it still boils down to the person who commits the act. People who speak in ways that some find offensive are not at fault when a person they offend commits suicide.

A better use of your time in helping trans/gender non-comforming people not kill themselves would probably be to spend less time on CV telling people their comment may or may not be offensive and getting life saving information (say suicide prevention numbers) into the hands of people who may need it.

Your posts are pure selfish lol. The people I was talking to earlier agreed. It isn't offensive to me but others I'm worried about.

Oh really what about you not caring? Also if you know that why did you say you didn't care earlier.

We both aren't trans we don't go through what they go through.

I have helped others nice try I've sat and listened to them. Something you aren't capable of doing since you don't care.

Your post is ridiculous. Get information into the hands of people who need it? They're organizations for that I've even been a part of them.

Additionally, people don't come out as trans because of fear for their life. They practically think it's over and this is all before the bullying and everything else.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: I know lol. Someone threw a term about trans people that was offensive. I corrected them and we eventually agreed. Then other people responded and they won't stop.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Most comic fans are deep down prejudice and won't accept race changes no matter what, even tho these are fictional characters.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll post this video when I get the chance. He's talking about gay men. But what he's saying applies to straight men also.

http://youtu.be/9omhluCP3GQ

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

1. characters that have existed for decades are reimagined into a vast number of different scenarios and worlds, with different appearances on a constant basis(different facial features/body builds/etc.) and/or with extremely different values and beliefs. so race/sexuality/gender/etc. are totally apart of those things that are can be changed about a character so there isnt anything wrong with the act in and of itself. I mean canon is constantly being toyed with by writers and frankly most of these characters can have the exact same stories/meanings if you were to change their race. Ex. Superman being black doesn't actually have to change his story because race is not a relevant factor to superman as a character(i mean you could have a story where his race affects him but you could also just have him be the most well known versions of himself and just be black).

2. However, that isnt saying race doesnt matter because it does matter. If race didn't matter it would not exist and we wouldnt be having convos about it. That is to say that changing a white character to a non white race is different from changing a character of color into another race,particularly white. The amount of white characters is vast and there is no history that demonizes whiteness on a structural scale. Raceswapping is usually done in order to challenge the lack of people of color represented in the media. There isn't a lack of white characters in media and by white washing(changing canon characters of color white) you are essentially erasing the few characters of color that actually exist. So, I wouldn't equate making cyborg white to making WW chinese.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your posts are pure selfish lol. The people I was talking to earlier agreed. It isn't offensive to me but others I'm worried about.

Oh really what about you not caring? Also if you know that why did you say you didn't care earlier.

We both aren't trans we don't go through what they go through.

I have helped others nice try I've sat and listened to them. Something you aren't capable of doing since you don't care.

Your post is ridiculous. Get information into the hands of people who need it? They're organizations for that I've even been a part of them.

Additionally, people don't come out as trans because of fear for their life. They practically think it's over and this is all before the bullying and everything else.

My posts are not selfish. I believe in people taking responsibility for their actions.

As it stands, I am not emotionally invested in the outcome here. I hope I show you and others that words only have so much power as what people personally invest in them. If a person wants to be offended that is their call.

We may not be trans but a person doesn't have to be X, Y, or Z to have empathy.

Not caring about the outcome of a discussion on CV is different that being apathetic on the whole.

Yeah. If you truly want to help people, you'll be better off helping people who need a hand rather then trying to get others to change their behavior. A quick analogy. If you meet a starving person, it's probably a better use of your time to feed them then to complain at a cook for making food the starving man doesn't like.

Hopefully if they fear for their life because they are being threatened, they will get the police involved. However if somebody offends them, that is far different then fearing for their life.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: You don't get it. The police doesn't really do anything for trans people either. Fearing for their life is part of their everyday life. Do some research your examples don't mean anything no offense.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: You don't get it. The police doesn't really do anything for trans people either. Fearing for their life is part of their everyday life. Do some research your examples don't mean anything no offense.

So if I walk up to a trans person and punched them in the face, or stabbed them you mean to tell me a police officer isn't going to arrest me? Why do I find that comment to be more then a little suspect. Odds are the "bully" in this case isn't doing something the police can act upon.

This also falls outside the scope of our discussion.

It doesn't have anything to with a person saying something that is offensive. If I didn't like trans people for some reason and I referred to them as troglodytes, so be it. That is my right. If you find my speech offensive, then that is your issue. I don't need to cater to you. If my speech is offensive and falls into the realm of breaking the rules, flag me. Mods will deal with it if I was doing something wrong.

That is the whole thrust of my argument. You told somebody something he said may be offensive to other people. My take? That's too bad for the offended. If you get offended on the internet, leave. If you don't have a thick skin, the internet likely isn't the place for you.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: I wasn't trying to control him. I've stated that several times. Chances are you could punch and stab a trans person and get away with it. I'm not offended others could be. We already resolved the situation you came here for I don't know what. I'm not trying to control or scare people. You're ignorant on the subject matter. Seems like you're a bully against transgender people and you're simply being transphobic.

Start from 3:50

http://youtu.be/9omhluCP3GQ

Also about the police

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/america-tonight-blog/2013/10/16/rise-in-transgenderharassmentviolencebypolicelinkedtoprofiling.html

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#79  Edited By Teerack

Comics are cartoons. Unlike other cartoons they aren't voice acted so what they visually look like is like 90% of that characters identity and soul. Not liking it when they change the race of a comic character is understandable and not racist at all because it makes them unrecognizable and it makes it feel like its a different person because... it is a different person just using the name of character you know. People who don't understand that very simple concept and try to make it about racism are the only actual racist because what they are saying is that race matters. If race didn't matter to you, then your mind wouldn't have instantly tried to make it about that.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up: Actually I'm not "transphobic" If I was I'd need to drop at least one pal here on CV who I know falls into that group. I'm all for freedom of speech though. I believe that you have the right to speak your mind even if others don't like what you are saying.

I'm not going to waste my time defending myself to you. You're welcome to think of me whatever you like. Based on the link, I can wager a guess. Speaking of...

The link amused me. I guess because some people may not agree with something (in this case trans people) they are dicks to note that. Here is the situation. Not everybody agrees on stuff. I may find carrots to be gross. If I say so am I negative and a dick? No. I just am voicing my opinion. As per the thick skin, I can only offend you if you let yourself be offended. You don't have to agree with what I say, but if you expect me to censor myself, you're in for a shock.

And since we're running in circles at this point I'll break off with this. We disagree on the topic. But the law is on my side. First Amendment for the win.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By never give up

@risingbean: I'm not offended I'm not transgender. But I know transgender people and have listened to them. So I stand up for them from time to time. Fine say what you want "because you want to". I'm going to comment because I didn't get to say everything I wanted on my phone.

@never_give_up: Actually I'm not "transphobic" If I was I'd need to drop at least one pal here on CV who I know falls into that group.I'm all for freedom of speech though. I believe that you have the right to speak your mind even if others don't like what you are saying.

I'm not going to waste my time defending myself to you. You're welcome to think of me whatever you like. Based on the link, I can wager a guess. Speaking of...

The link amused me. I guess because some people may not agree with something (in this case trans people) they are dicks to note that.Here is the situation. Not everybody agrees on stuff. I may find carrots to be gross. If I say so am I negative and a dick? No. I just am voicing my opinion.As per the thick skin, I can only offend you if you let yourself be offended.You don't have to agree with what I say, but if you expect me to censor myself, you're in for a shock.

And since we're running in circles at this point I'll break off with this. We disagree on the topic.But the law is on my side. First Amendment for the win.

Well yes you are. Doesn't matter if you have a trans friend. From the beginning I said it could be offensive. I wasn't calling him a jerk or trying to silence him. But you seemed to take it that way.

Here's on the whole having a trans friend.

No Caption Provided

I understand speaking your mind. But why if it's hurting people trans people go through some much stuff. I repeat nothing bad happens if you stop being transphobic.

No Caption Provided

The link amused you...

It shows that you were VERY wrong because trans people aren't protected by the police, like you had amused.

I never called anyone a jerk you seemed to take it that way. I don't know why.

I'm not trans so how would it affect me. I wasn't shocked I knew you were full of hot air and ignorant on the subject matter.

Indeed it is. Seems like you came here just to put people down. Because no one was controlling anyone else saying they couldn't speak. I said the term was offensive. Transgender is the actual term. I told someone they used a derogatory term and showed them the correct term so I'm controlling people?

Seems like this was the issue all along.

No Caption Provided

I'm well aware the first part could be a double standard for me.

Mainly let us get back on topic. This thread is about race.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing about white characters is that they are 'blank' and easier for anyone else to immerse/escape into, however when the skin is blurred it becomes harder. Look at the majority of characters in fiction all over. Even the non caucasian ones have light skin, like a canvas.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Dear god I hate that phrase. Its just a few words but they are so arrogant and presumptuous that I can't even describe it.