inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

No Caption Provided
In 2006, I remember picking up my first action figure which made me grimace. The figure, pictured right, was Green Arrow from the Identity Crisis storyline. I can best describe the figure as "gross looking." However, I really wanted a Green Arrow figure, and this was all I could find, so I picked it up, and now, it sits in a box with other action figures I wasted my money on. 

This happens a lot, and not the "this figure looks utterly awful," but that more and more, we're seeing action figures come out for series that may not really need it. What made Identity Crisis so special that is warranted a whole toy line? Sure, it was an amazing story, but were there some huge costume changes? Was the art of Michael Turner reflected in the sculpt? Do we really need another Batman and Superman figure? Sometimes it just gets a little ridiculous to me. 

The newest problematic action figure set that will be released next year is the Brightest Day series. I can see why it exists. The Blackest Night figure series has been great so far. We've seen a lot of characters who have never been in toy form finally get their place on the dusty shelf, and a lot of old characters in new costumes or zombified. Maybe I'm being a little too judgmental over the first two series of these figures, but don't we have enough Aquaman figures? I know we'll see them eventually, but what about Captain Boomerang, Maxwell Lord, Jade, Captain Boomerang, Hawk, Dove, Osiris, or unmasked Deadman? It seems as though we're getting the same characters, mildly different sculpts, with a brand stamped on the package, but it's not as bad as it seems.
== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
The worst thing you can do is put out a series of action figures, in interesting costumes, show the prototypes in a solict, and release sub-par figures, and only one series of it. This happened recently with the Batman Reborn series. I originally thought the figures looked really cool in the solicits, but when they finally came out last week, they looked pretty bad, much in the same way Identity Crisis figures did. Aside from that, it was only one series. What about Red Robin, Damian Wayne as Robin, Hush, or Ra's Al Ghul? It feels like they missed out on a lot of cool characters, or maybe they knew that the final product wasn't that great?

As much as I complain, I love the DC Direct figures. Sure, there's a few places where I have some complaints, but overall, they put out a good product and they do something I love, they put out figures based on how characters look in specific storylines. This is something DC has been great about, but where's Marvel? This is the one thing Marvel doesn't do, which I really wish they would. Secret Avengers figures? Civil War figures? Dark Reign figures? We'll probably never see them though. Marvel is focusing their efforts on the G.I. Joe sized action figures at this time, and while they're been putting out a lot of cool figures, what about a whole series based on one story arc? What do you guys think? What storylines deserve an action figure set? Do you think that sometimes companies go too far with this?

~Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, comic book writer, comic store employee, and toy collector.~
IronPatriot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IronPatriot78

cool

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

A Dark Reign series would be pretty cool.

IronPatriot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IronPatriot78

Yes very cool. 

JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JCJQLB
@IronPatriot78 said:
" cool "
Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

I guess those companies put their faith on how a story line sells. I mean, if those seem to maniacally attract the fans, they 'd assume they will buy pretty much anything related to the story that will come out.Like you did with Identity Crisis. You loved the series, you didn't have any figure of a character you liked, and you bought whatever came out, even if you later regretted it. I know I did similar actions in the past. And, I would very much like to see an Osiris figure set, along with Black Adam's and Isis' statue.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By sora_thekey

I don't collect action figures, but I do think that it is a waste of money of having the same character out over and over again...

When I was younger and I still played with my action figures (which thanks to Toy Story 3 they are no longer at the top of my closet :P) I used to have 7 different Spider-Men... Just because one had magnetic hands so it could stick to walls, one could shoot out spider webs, one had the "power" to swing on web lines, you could take the mask off another one, one came with the Green Goblin and the other had a thousand ways of moving.. including the fingers...

So in the end when I wanted to play Spider-Man I had one villain and 7 Spider-Men... 
I did end up playing Clone Saga once or twice though!

luckynitro007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By luckynitro007

cool for collectors.
SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By SupremoMaximo

What's wrong with  "Deep Sea Diving-Street Fighting-Stratosphere Shooting-Sky Diving Batman"?

hawkbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By hawkbam

I didn,t like the xmen origins: wolverine figures. I think the classice deadpool and sabertooth are better than the crappy origins ones.
igman51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By igman51

i want azarel, and jason todd.
Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kid_Zombie

I wish i was a kid now! I was a huge action figure collector when i was a kid, Toys still interest me so i try to keep pretty up to date on whats going on. And boy do i wish i was a kid now. the toys that come out now are way better then the ToyBiz or even hasbro figures that were coming out in my day. One big thing that makes me wish i was a kid still is the Marvel Universe 3 3/4 inch toy line. I was a big G.i.joe collector and star wars, but what always irked me was I couldnt have batman or spider-man fight an army of g.i.joes because they were to big! Now im way to old to play with toys and they finally come out  with Marvel figures that are the same size. Ive actually bought a few of them because the kid in me would be pissed if I didnt.

I like that they come out with these toys, again in my day we would have had 100 batman toys that "shoot water", or "winter gear" now at least you get toys based on artists and story lines. I know I would have been happy if i was still 8 and it was the early 90's when kids still played with action figures. ha ha ha.

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Bobby X

Ugh, that was the worst green arrow figure... 
Ego you need...No...DESERVE this one: 

It was from the Hard Traveling Hero set and it won an award from Wizard that year for best overall. I had just finished reading Quiver and HAD to have it at the time. It's sitting gloriously in it's box on a shelf in my room :) 

I'm dissappointed to hear about the Batman Reborn figures being poor quality though. I had my heart set on running out and getting the Jason Todd Batman this week. Boo. 

They are definitely missing out for not putting out more Batman Reborn figs. I'm actually a little upset they didn't keep going with Blackest Night toys. I was really hoping for a Red Lantern Guy Gardner... 

I don't have much to say about Marvel's figures... 
Although they have great articulation, I'm not much of a fan of the smaller size.
XFan616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By XFan616

I don't have enough..."funds" shall we say to keep up a high class collection. I get really cool figures that also look good when I find them. For example the Marvel 2packs are coming out again soon, and I'm looking forward to the Deadpool/Warpath pack. Honestly I haven't read very many big events (Marvel or DC) but I think perhaps the Age of Apocalypse figures would be interesting at least...

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Did Two-Face Batman need a figure?
No, it really didn't

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I have Doctor Who figures that i pose around the room, mainly because I'm sad. I'm rather fond of the Marvel legends line.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#16  Edited By Decept-O

While I don't collect action figures I admit a lot of them are rather neat.  It must be frustrating both in terms for a collector and his or her pocket book when certain figures are made available that perhaps aren't really necessary to have offered.  A case where the temptation to spend $ is challenging to resist.   

I didn't realize there weren't any Red Robin figures made available, although, again I am not a collector, that would be really great to see offered.  No Ra's Al Ghul?  
The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By The Hobgoblin

If you're looking for a great Green Arrow figure, may I recommend the recent Mattel's DC Universe Classic Green Arrow?

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skaarason

im probably the biggest action figure collector here , i already have 2 figures of each of the 4 !!!! 

sythspawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sythspawn

I don't see any problems with figures based on storylines. I think the whole point of the Identity Crisis line was that they were all based on Michael Turner's art, which was influenced by how sweet the Superman/Batman line of figures looked based on Ed McGuiness's art.

I saw the Batman Reborn figures in the store the other day. I don't think they look bad at all. I wouldn't mind having a Batgirl or an Azrael, but it's twice to justify the cost. And just because a second series of Batman Reborn figures hasn't been solicited yet doesn't mean there won't be anymore.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't mind it when something is based on a particular story.  What I can't stand are the pointless giant mecha attachments & firing body parts, and other useless (nonsensical) spin-offs.

notorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By notorious

have most of em customized but would love to get x force and the dark avengers plus theres alot of great sites dat u can go to, to get tips on customizing but dc n marvel are both guilty of doing ugly figures
Avatar image for darkwolverineusmc
darkwolverineUSMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

@ShirEPanjshir:
Yes. I purchased a Daken ation figure, but I'd like a Noh-Varr one. I love Noh-Varr
batmanboy11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#23  Edited By batmanboy11

The DC direct figures are pretty cool. I especially like their "Black and White" Batman stuff. I'm not sure if I'd call those figures though.
Jslab425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jslab425

I have to vote YES!  If only because I've waited years for a MERA action figure and now I will have 2 due to Blackest Night and Brightest Day!

Avatar image for graphiccasualfreak
GraphicCasualFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

In general I really love the DC Direct figures, but I've restrained myself from picking any up yet.  I think I'm waiting for something to really blow me away.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By jordama

Marvel has the Legends line or something, don't they. Those were cool a couple yearss ago, came with a reprinted comic. The got kinda annoying when they had 1,000 points of articulation but the figures that didn't even bend their arms really urched me as a kid. I think they shouldn't make so many action figure so when they do finally make them, they are so much more exciting.
arrowfan237

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#27  Edited By arrowfan237

I actually like figures based on a specific storyline.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By Silkcuts

It really depends on the collector.  I have the Killing Joke Box set still sealed.

Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

i would love for marvel to have a kind of dc direct department and make figures like them

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By InnerVenom123

Me want LED glowing Iron Patriot statue. NOW. (Make the eyes glow green.)

Darth-Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Darth-Spidey

I happen to have the Jason Todd as Batman figure, and it's not "sub-par" at all.  It's awesome.  I have it displayed on my desk.

Avatar image for oihooliganismoi
oiHooliganismoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oiHooliganismoi

hasbro does us justice with their 3 3/4 inch lines, universe and ironman2 give us collectors a great mix of articulation sculpt and paint.... plus they focus on events like secrets wars where they released 24 figures that look like they did at that time... and for a line to have been out less than a year and a half  and giving us over 200 different figures is impressive.. and there is more to come this year, 2011 and 2012......... just check out my collection on youtube its pretty up to date  

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bestostero

well its all about money to these people... im pretty sure they only make what they think will sell... i had to stop collecting due to high costs, but i still buy some Marvel Universe figures and some GIJoes here and there...

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ceniza
@ShirEPanjshir said:

" A Dark Reign series would be pretty cool. "

Yes it would. Maybe someday.
oiHooliganismoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oiHooliganismoi
@ceniza: marvel universe is pushing out dark avengers before the year is over... iron patriot is out already
Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Gambit1024

Ever since they stopped making the Marvel Legends (the REAL ones by Toy Biz) I stopped collecting action figures altogether. It's a shame really. Those were friggin great. Marvel figures today suck. 

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree sometimes some storyline just ruins the figures. For me in order for me to buy one or a series they have to be really detailed.  These are works of art aren't they? So shouldn't they look like one? Not some washed out exscuse for one.

Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bobby X said:
"
Ugh, that was the worst green arrow figure... 
Ego you need...No...DESERVE this one: 
     It was from the Hard Traveling Hero set and it won an award from Wizard that year for best overall. I had just finished reading Quiver and HAD to have it at the time. It's sitting gloriously in it's box on a shelf in my room :)  I'm dissappointed to hear about the Batman Reborn figures being poor quality though. I had my heart set on running out and getting the Jason Todd Batman this week. Boo.  They are definitely missing out for not putting out more Batman Reborn figs. I'm actually a little upset they didn't keep going with Blackest Night toys. I was really hoping for a Red Lantern Guy Gardner...  I don't have much to say about Marvel's figures... Although they have great articulation, I'm not much of a fan of the smaller size. "
My gosh no kidding that won an award. I may be more a marvel fan but that is just epic. I might have to hunt me down one.
emmbro30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By emmbro30

I would like to see a 6" line based on the Infinity Gauntlet story.

oiHooliganismoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oiHooliganismoi
@Gambit1024: no way bro marvel universe is where its at right now... tons of figures are being made over 130 in just under a year and a half the universe line have been pushed out already. the head of of the universe line division  is dave voner a head designer of the toybiz legends.. did u see the galactus that is hitting stores soon it totally humiliates the build a figure galactus. plus universe already gots figures legends didnt come out with in the 8 years its been around like the entire wrecking crew, modern luke cage, jim lee's jean grey .... cant front that universe is dope bro ... plus not to mention hasbro's sister line  ironman2 and wolverine origins figs which ups the number of figures out to close to  the 240s. im not gonna lie i have some legends too but i sold most of them to catch up on my universe stuff... just the versatility of them is a lot better cause i can buy gi joe playsets and vehicles or any other 3 3/4 inch line stuff to accompany my displays with and that is something u werent able to do with legends... check out my video avoe that i posted in this board
RetolledTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RetolledTruth

WARNING THIS MAY BE A NEWBIE QUESTION: PREPARE TO TROLL
What are the name of those Batman Characters?

oiHooliganismoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By oiHooliganismoi
@RetolledTruth: jason todd is the one with the face plate on...........
Druid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Druid

Whether or not critics think a toy line is worthwhile, action figures depicting popular characters and stories will continue to be released since the whole point is simply to make money.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I think we have Todd McFarlane (spelling?) to thank for that.

No Caption Provided
I like the toys being made out of the comic storylines, they are like cheaper version of sculptures.
I like that they are 3D models of the character designs and styles of the artist who worked on the story.
I get a lot of them, but then they sit and collect dust.  So I have stopped for the most part, opting to get comics and books instead.  But I saw Booster Gold based on Kevin Maguire's art and I had to get it.
I have action figures based on the Clerks cartoon
based on New Frontier
New Gods
Ed McGuinness' DC characters from Superman/Batman
Dark Knight Returns
Justice by Alex Ross
Kingdom Come characters 
a classic Superman with the large torso
Ringo's Thing 
Batman and Flash from the Liberty Files 
Ralph from TMNT
Rusty from Big Guy and Rusty
and others.

And i just thought of a good excuse for getting them, they are great reference for artist's character designs and art.  So anyone feel free to use that as an excuse.
Avatar image for prince_of_saiyans
Prince of Saiyans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NightFang3

Cool.

X-23_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By X-23_2513

Awesome.
leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By leokearon

Hasbro did do Secet Wars 2-packs for the Marvel Universe line, but that's about it, for them the packaging changes to suit the comics and that's usually it
daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By daken_2513

cool figures 
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I don't really have many figures at this point, but I am trying to collect more. I have noticed that DC has been pretty hell bent on their figure release lately, the brightest day figures look terrible IMO.